Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailer info sites?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Anybody ever swap 3500lbs axles for 5200lbs units to increas the load capacity of the trailer? Seems like a very easy swap especially with leaf spring type axles. Yeah sounds crazy, but I might able to get nice unit for a great price, but with 3500lbs axles instead of the 5200lbs ones. I figure I needed I could swap to bigger ones and at this price might still come out ahead if it do it myself.
It won't just be the axles.

Tires, rims, drums, framing, reinforcements etc. will all be different 3500# vs. 5200#. You will also have to add conspicuity treatment (white & red reflective tape) where required and increase the GVWR capacity plate on the trailer and have the registration adjusted.

Now ... should you have an accident ... think you might have a problem if an astute insurance adjuster notes that the trailer was not designed originally for 5200# axles???

There should be at most a $1000 difference between an otherwise equal trailer with 3500# axles vs. 5200#s.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

Tires, rims, drums, framing, reinforcements etc. will all be different 3500# vs. 5200#. You will also have to add conspicuity treatment (white & red reflective tape) where required and increase the GVWR capacity plate on the trailer and have the registration adjusted.

Now ... should you have an accident ... think you might have a problem if an astute insurance adjuster notes that the trailer was not designed originally for 5200# axles???

There should be at most a $1000 difference between an otherwise equal trailer with 3500# axles vs. 5200#s.
You're right to a point, but some of these trailers are identical with the exception of the axle and brake setup. Of course you also need to check the tire/rim ratings.

On my trailer the only weight rating still visible is on the tongue, which reads 10,000 gross and 1,500 tongue. Seems these manufacturers like to stock as few parts as possible and interchange them.

At least in NY you can build your own trailer, put on the axles matching the weight you are registering at, weigh the thing at the scales and get it titled/ registered as homemade at the weight you declare. I don't see why modifying an otherwise suitable trailer would be an issue. Of course, lawyers make issue with everything, but I can't live worrying about them.

I agree, if you are going to do it, make sure to register it at the higher rate so everything is in synch.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

True to some extent. In my research I can get complete torsion axles with brakes for 700 each. Then I just need wheels and tires. Depending when I do it and the condition of tires those couple a "replace anyway item".

In then end you are right at $1k it is not worth it. however I am looking at approx 3k savings on this one vs what I have been seeing for 10k axles. That is why I am considering it. Now true there is the issue of rating plate. Not sure how to get around that one other than changing status from built by MFG XXX to "Home built". I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Clearly "home built" status reduced resale value, but I have little plans for resale on this right now.

So the plan right now is toy see how it works at 7k rated. My current trailer is an open trailer rated for 7k so there are no issues moving stuff around as is. I carry all my spares in truck so I will do some adjusting and between the truck and trailer will be fine. Growth mode is the only concern. Once I start installing creature comforts in the trailer I can add weight and I need to watch out.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
True to some extent. In my research I can get complete torsion axles with brakes for 700 each. Then I just need wheels and tires. Depending when I do it and the condition of tires those couple a "replace anyway item".

In then end you are right at $1k it is not worth it. however I am looking at approx 3k savings on this one vs what I have been seeing for 10k axles. That is why I am considering it. Now true there is the issue of rating plate. Not sure how to get around that one other than changing status from built by MFG XXX to "Home built". I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Clearly "home built" status reduced resale value, but I have little plans for resale on this right now.

So the plan right now is toy see how it works at 7k rated. My current trailer is an open trailer rated for 7k so there are no issues moving stuff around as is. I carry all my spares in truck so I will do some adjusting and between the truck and trailer will be fine. Growth mode is the only concern. Once I start installing creature comforts in the trailer I can add weight and I need to watch out.
Sounds like a good plan; buy it load it up and see if weight is an issue. Then, if need be you can have it re-axled and registering as homemade as a fallback plan.

I have had horse trailers with homemade titles as well as manufacturers titles. I never thought twice about it, or considered one as more appealing than the other...as long as they give me license plates
Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Well I got it and dragged it home. That is plan right now. Start to set-it up and see where it comes out. It will be set-up with an eye torward weight so no really heavy cabinets and such. Just bare shell right now...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice.. What are the walls made of on the interior..

What is the weight?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Walls and ceiling are white vinyl. Trailer weight is 3600lbs or something like that. My plan is now to cover the floor. Thinking right now about painting with some good exterior paint to protect the floor.
I could put some flooring down, but that may cost too much.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer info sites?