Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap, that's no fun!!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Peter,
Sorry about your crash! It was good to meet you.
On Sunday I had an incident in the Enduro. I am not sure what caused it, but I started to spin and then I got T-Boned in the drivers side. It was a hard hit.
From the data it seems that the front left wheel had locked up, but the data shows I was not on the brakes. I am hoping to get it figured out - it was some form of mechanical issue that caused my initial spin. The T-Bone hit caused some damage for sure! My door and fender, front wheel, and all front left suspension components (damper, upright, toe link, etc, etc.) are all toast! Even my rear bumper has some damage.
This is my first incident.
It sucks to have mechanical/tire failures lead to much worse damage.
Are you banged up at all? I know my neck and back and leg is a little sore and I wasn't doing 150+ like you. The impact even caused my cool shirt to leave 2 long bruises in my side/back that look like the tubes of the shirt.
But I am glad it wasn't worse!!

Hope to see you soon. Are you doing the VIR race?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Peter,
Sorry about your crash! It was good to meet you.
On Sunday I had an incident in the Enduro. I am not sure what caused it, but I started to spin and then I got T-Boned in the drivers side. It was a hard hit.
From the data it seems that the front left wheel had locked up, but the data shows I was not on the brakes. I am hoping to get it figured out - it was some form of mechanical issue that caused my initial spin. The T-Bone hit caused some damage for sure! My door and fender, front wheel, and all front left suspension components (damper, upright, toe link, etc, etc.) are all toast! Even my rear bumper has some damage.
This is my first incident.
It sucks to have mechanical/tire failures lead to much worse damage.
Are you banged up at all? I know my neck and back and leg is a little sore and I wasn't doing 150+ like you. The impact even caused my cool shirt to leave 2 long bruises in my side/back that look like the tubes of the shirt.
But I am glad it wasn't worse!!

Hope to see you soon. Are you doing the VIR race?
Matt-

REALLY sorry to hear about your incident. Fortunately, I walked away unharmed. My neck was a little sore on Sunday but that's it. I didn't take a direct hit like you though. I bounced off the guard rail a few times instead of one direct hit like your t-bone.

I cancelled VIR today... Probably could make it in time but not sure and so I just went ahead and cancelled.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YIKES, I have been MIA and just noticed your post, glad your well very fortunate.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap man I heard about this. I blew an axel during the rolling start in sprint one. I parked her on turn one out of the way. I thought I had a bad day. Dude glad to hear you are OK. The car can be fixed , it's just a car : )
Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Oh man I just read Einsteins post. Matt it was nice meeting you and just like I said in the last post, the car can be fixed. Call out friend Matt Clark to make her look untouched. Andy
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter sorry to hear that!! Glad you are ok and car not damaged too badly. Hope to see ya out there again soon!!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Peter always one of my greatest fears is losing a axel or tire at speed. I lost a LF control arm last year at 150+ at Las Vegas Motorspeedway and spun into the infield harmlessly. I'm seriously glad to hear you're OK.....

I have a track specific question. In T1 you tracked out pretty wide. What is on the outside there? There's the asphalt track surface, then some type of flat painted surface, then what appears to be a flat of stepped up rumble strips. Is that correct? Your right rear tire hits right on the edge of that transition and I'm wondering if that edge was sharp enough to have damaged your tire. I've never seen the track, but if that edge is sharp....
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Peter always one of my greatest fears is losing a axel or tire at speed. I lost a LF control arm last year at 150+ at Las Vegas Motorspeedway and spun into the infield harmlessly. I'm seriously glad to hear you're OK.....

I have a track specific question. In T1 you tracked out pretty wide. What is on the outside there? There's the asphalt track surface, then some type of flat painted surface, then what appears to be a flat of stepped up rumble strips. Is that correct? Your right rear tire hits right on the edge of that transition and I'm wondering if that edge was sharp enough to have damaged your tire. I've never seen the track, but if that edge is sharp....
That edge isn't sharp. Plenty of people hit it, and quite a few consider it to be a regular part of the racing surface.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

i would agree with Brian on this one. However, very good observation. A few years ago they changed some of the rumbles for the Indy Car if i remember correctly. I guess my question would be how many heat cycles were on the tires ? If that was already mentioned I apologize.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyT
I guess my question would be how many heat cycles were on the tires ? If that was already mentioned I apologize.
I had gone for a pass so was a bit narrow on the entry but still trying to carry speed so I did go up on the rumbles. At higher speeds and even a normal apex, I found myself hitting them. Not unsettling at all really. The tires had 14 LAPS on them and they were the "banking" rear tires that Michelin told us to run there....
Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 775 Posts

Geezus, Peter, I was just able to watch the video.

Yikes.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The exploding tire syndrom is what has me unnerved about the cup cars. It seems to happen to them more than any other type cars.

Peter, I'm glad that you're ok and hope that you can get it fixed without too much agg.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
1st Red Sprint Race Saturday. About 8 laps in, just took over 3rd place in GTC3, climbed through the esses and onto the back straight. Got about 1200 feet from the bus stop and was at max speed (data showed 155mph) when the left rear tire blew.
Holy Toledo Batman! Glad you are OK!

-td
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are ok! The car can be repaired.
Are you going to send the tire to Michelin for inspection?

Quick Reply: My tire blow-out at the Glen