Sponsored by:

Stock vs. Custom Valving... Penske, Ohlin, Moton & Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stock vs. Custom Valving... Penske, Ohlin, Moton & Bilstein

I am looking into replacing the damper in my 997 GT2 to a high quality Motorsport damper.

The Ohlin TTX is a thru rod design but some have said they are not as user friendly as the others don't know why?
Valving has only been developed for the Cup car, you would think it would apply to the GT2?

Moton Motorsports you always hear good reviews, the location of the adjusters make changes easy.....but some believe that the Ohlin thru rod design is better?
There is a winning Cup team that has a non stock Valving for the Moton Motorsports damper that they claim is very different than stock.

Penske 8765 is said to have a narrow working range...valving is also been developed only for the Cup cars.

Cargraphic has a Bilstein DA they have developed valving from the Land GT3 RSR which was used in all there Euro Tuner shootouts.
Bilstein is said to have the same internals from the street to the racing products.

My choice is to buy an off the shelf top quality Damper or buy a Moton Motorsport with custom valving that is set-up for Mosport(home track)and then there is the Cargraphic custom valving.
How important is proper valving to an application vs. buying off the shelf top quality products?

Last edited by Z06; 05-29-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are talking about valving for the street or the track? And I would say the valving for a cup car would not be suitable for a GT2 street car that is heavier and would most likely have softer springs for the street?

Ohlins has actualy just come out with a new "Road and Track" strut for the street and track enthusiasts. They are calling it the Touring TTX46 McPherson Club. Has both compression and rebound settings and no remote canisters.

I am waiting to hear more about them.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many teams remove the Sachs units from the Cupcars when they get them and install some other units (the other you are looking at Ohlins, Moton, JRZ). TRG has take offs (brand new) from their Cupcars available. I prefer Moton myself...
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kerrigan Smith
Are talking about valving for the street or the track? And I would say the valving for a cup car would not be suitable for a GT2 street car that is heavier and would most likely have softer springs for the street?

Ohlins has actualy just come out with a new "Road and Track" strut for the street and track enthusiasts. They are calling it the Touring TTX46 McPherson Club. Has both compression and rebound settings and no remote canisters.

I am waiting to hear more about them.
My focus is for the track with very little street use. I had no problems with the Moton CS 600/800 6GT3, if anything it was a little soft. Just looking for the best possible Damper.
Tire's I am using MPSC..Hoosier A6 & R6.

Rear spring rates suggested range from 1100 to 1400 considering how heavy the GT2 is and the HP with a spread in the 200+ range less for the front.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by viperbob
Many teams remove the Sachs units from the Cupcars when they get them and install some other units (the other you are looking at Ohlins, Moton, JRZ). TRG has take offs (brand new) from their Cupcars available. I prefer Moton myself...
Do you use off the shelf or do you custom valve your Motons?

Sorry if these question are a little bit lame, I have no backround in comparing valvings and no full understanding of what's involved with valving.

On my 01 Z06 I found the stock Penske to be under valved in rebound it was sloppy... had them revalved asked for more rebound...built by a race engineer that had developed a specific valving.
Moton CS DA were not as bad but I thought they should have had a little more as well.

There must be more to it than that?

Last edited by Z06; 05-29-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our region (Riesentoter) had its meeting last month at Penske's shock operation in Reading, PA. Based on what they told me and what they are doing for all kinds of race teams in all kinds of race series, they will build you absolutely whatever you want in terms of valving, design, etc. While they have developed some off the shelf applications for Porsches, they are very clear that they are not at all limited to those parameters. You might give them a call.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Now that I think about it, the Z06 was converted to a full race car turns 1.24 at Mosport and this is using these revalved Penske which were built by a race engineer who did allot of testing and set-up including Speed WC cars.

We have an almost exact second Z06 with Moton Motorsport 3 ways and both drivers prefer the Penkse set-up, even though the Moton is a better product as the Penske is an older model having them properly valved has made all the difference.

I have spoken with Penske, Ohlin and a Race team about the Moton shock.

How do you know with out testing them?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Now that I think about it, the Z06 was converted to a full race car turns 1.24 at Mosport and this is using these revalved Penske which were built by a race engineer who did allot of testing and set-up including Speed WC cars.

We have an almost exact second Z06 with Moton Motorsport 3 ways and both drivers prefer the Penkse set-up, even though the Moton is a better product as the Penske is an older model having them properly valved has made all the difference.

I have spoken with Penske, Ohlin and a Race team about the Moton shock.

How do you know with out testing them?
Had Penske 3 way on my SCCA T3 S2000 and hated them. Got the Moton 3 way Motorsports and the car was transformed. I vote for Moton and talk to Lex @ Moton. I do know some of the SCCA T1 drivers prefer the Penskes over the Motons.

As for valving for the GT2 you also need to consider things like droop as the GT2 will need more than a Cup Car as I found out the hard way.
Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 05-29-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add content
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Motons and am very happy. I have the Clubsport not the motorsports but still feel I get great performance out of the setup.

I had Ohlins on my Audi and they were nice. Car was too heavy to really make best use of the damper.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Why not race Bilstein? They seem to be on allot of race cars.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Had Penske 3 way on my SCCA T3 S2000 and hated them. Got the Moton 3 way Motorsports and the car was transformed. I vote for Moton and talk to Lex @ Moton. I do know some of the SCCA T1 drivers prefer the Penskes over the Motons.

As for valving for the GT2 you also need to consider things like droop as the GT2 will need more than a Cup Car as I found out the hard way.
Peter

I had two way Penske's, as they came they were not good...but after getting them revalved by someone who knows what they were doing they worked great!

It seems the more I talk about this, what becomes clear it's more important to have a Damper tuned to an application than to have a higher quality unit that is not dialed in!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Öhlins are night and day compared to stock suspension on a GT2/3/Cup. But there are several others like Moton, Sachs etc.. who offer great suspension alternatives out there also. Are you looking for ultimate performance or bang-for-the-buck?

I cannot stress how important it is, how well you can get it setup for your car, your tracks and your performance. Not just when you buy and mount them, but also to have someone close by to help you to get the most out of them. There are tons of applications out there who are running far from optimized solutions who basically took very expensive and exclusive dampers and tossed the performance down the toilet.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rassel
Öhlins are night and day compared to stock suspension on a GT2/3/Cup. But there are several others like Moton, Sachs etc.. who offer great suspension alternatives out there also. Are you looking for ultimate performance or bang-for-the-buck?

I cannot stress how important it is, how well you can get it setup for your car, your tracks and your performance. Not just when you buy and mount them, but also to have someone close by to help you to get the most out of them. There are tons of applications out there who are running far from optimized solutions who basically took very expensive and exclusive dampers and tossed the performance down the toilet.
Cargraphic took the Bilsteins off the RSR, then Bilsteins engineers tuned it using Motec to the application...GT3 RS and TT.

Why is the Bilstein race shocks/dampers not considered a good product as compared to the others?
They seemed to have done well on the RSR at Nurburgring winning allot of races?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06
Cargraphic took the Bilsteins off the RSR, then Bilsteins engineers tuned it using Motec to the application...GT3 RS and TT.

Why is the Bilstein race shocks/dampers not considered a good product as compared to the others?
They seemed to have done well on the RSR at Nurburgring winning allot of races?
From the top of my head, this doesn't sound right. IIRC factory supplier is SACHS. (But I could of course be wrong..) And they have had the application contract for quite some time with Porsche. So logically it should be SACHS who put the original dampers on.

Bilstein should have something though. I spoke with Bilstein about RSR dampers in -06 and at that moment it was in development.

Regarding the ring; it is from a setup perspective a bit different than normal tracks. Some of the German manufacturers do have as you said good experience and success there. Though I'm not convinced that, that particular performance is always converted into retail products. While they often brand their cars with their sponsors like KW and Bilstein, the actual parts they use are quite expensive. You can get most custom built solutions for yourself, but the sums you can spend are ridiculous and it would be quite a waste for a street car.

To get the most out of it, I have to go back to the earlier advice and suggest that if you look at such advanced suspension solutions; consult someone you trust and can help you with them.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rassel
From the top of my head, this doesn't sound right. IIRC factory supplier is SACHS. (But I could of course be wrong..) And they have had the application contract for quite some time with Porsche. So logically it should be SACHS who put the original dampers on.

Bilstein should have something though. I spoke with Bilstein about RSR dampers in -06 and at that moment it was in development.

Regarding the ring; it is from a setup perspective a bit different than normal tracks. Some of the German manufacturers do have as you said good experience and success there. Though I'm not convinced that, that particular performance is always converted into retail products. While they often brand their cars with their sponsors like KW and Bilstein, the actual parts they use are quite expensive. You can get most custom built solutions for yourself, but the sums you can spend are ridiculous and it would be quite a waste for a street car.

To get the most out of it, I have to go back to the earlier advice and suggest that if you look at such advanced suspension solutions; consult someone you trust and can help you with them.
Thanks Rassel,

I am not sure if Bilstein came on the RSR but the Land Motorport RSR main sponsor was Bilstein and the car was painted in Bilstein colours.

With this set-up Cargraphic competed at Hockenheim in the Euro Tuner shootouts winning 3 of the last four years, with there TT they lost to TechArt in 08 by .15 ...this is using the adapted version of the Land RSR Bilstein system.

I don't think there is any other serious directly developed damper for the GT series cars sold.

If the damper is close I can do the testing and set-up to fine tune it to my use.

I can argue about engines, and how they work but have no idea how a damper works and why one is better than another. If it's valving and spring choices then Cargraphic would be the obvious choice?

Quick Reply: Stock vs. Custom Valving... Penske, Ohlin, Moton & Bilstein