Motive Power Bleeder - procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I used to fill the bleeder with new fluid (that's what the manual tell you) and never had any mess or cleaning problems etc. until the friggin' hose broke and all the fluid was sprayed everywhere! Ever since I've done the bleeding with "dry method" instead.

It's more time consuming to do it "dry" but hosing and washing the whole trunk was pretty damn time consuming too!

If you do it "wet", change the hose every now and then or at least when it's dried up and feels hard.

exactly what happened to me this afternoon. I am bleeding the rear passenger caliper when I notice the flow stops and I hear a leaking fluid sound on the other end of the car. Hose had broken apart under pressure and fresh RBF600 was sprayed all over the front end. Yipee!!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleeding/flushing with the Motive by pressurizing the DRY bottle to 10 PSI, forcing out all the fluid one wheel at a time. Then fill the Motive bottle with new fluid pressurized to 10 PSI to refill the system one wheel at a time. Clean out the bottle with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
Bleeding/flushing with the Motive by pressurizing the DRY bottle to 10 PSI, forcing out all the fluid one wheel at a time. Then fill the Motive bottle with new fluid pressurized to 10 PSI to refill the system one wheel at a time. Clean out the bottle with isopropyl alcohol.
Are you injecting air into the system as you are forcing the old fluid out?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
No, the fluid in the reservoir is being forced into the system under the head pressure of the Motive Bleeder. The idea is before the reservoir empties, you stop, unpressurize the system, fill the reservoir, and repressurize.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
exactly what happened to me this afternoon. I am bleeding the rear passenger caliper when I notice the flow stops and I hear a leaking fluid sound on the other end of the car. Hose had broken apart under pressure and fresh RBF600 was sprayed all over the front end. Yipee!!
Gene, any paint damage? Yuck.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by kurt M
Yes, I use pressurized (10 PSI) to purge all fluid from reservoir as well as the complete brake line circuit. In other words, I replace all the fluid with air, then push out all the air with fluid. The end result is a reservoir filled to "max" and no air in system, or so it seems.

I bleed or flush this car's brake system before each track event as is required. I don't touch the brake peddle. I flush with Valvoline Synpower, which is relatively cheap, then refill with Pentosin Racing.

Last edited by sig_a; 05-21-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added more information as explanation
Old 05-21-2009, 05:31 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might I sugest that rather than injecting air into the system you run more fluid through. 2 reasons. The first is that sometimes a little air can be a royal bitch to get out of an odd corner of an MC or line loop. The second is that the flowing fluid helps to pick up contaminates and pull them out while air does not. Even with air blowing out the bleader there is still old fluid in the system that will remain regardless of air flow. Flush some and pump the brakes while under pressure and flow to pulse and stir the fluids, flush some more. If you have fluid that is real bad as in many years old black sludge bad you should at least flush, drive for a day or so to mix and flush the system again. I did testing during some changes from dot 4 to SRF on 3 cars. 2 properly done flushes got you 99% there but it took 3 flushes to have the fluid test to 100% SRF rating. The first flush split the numbers between the still good original dot 4 and SRF. If it were my car and it had dot 4 or worse and I was looking for the full protection of SRF I would flush twice with some drive time between them.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Originally Posted by sig_a
Yes, I use pressurized (10 PSI) to purge all fluid from reservoir as well as the complete brake line circuit. In other words, I replace all the fluid with air, then push out all the air with fluid. The end result is a reservoir filled to "max" and no air in system, or so it seems.
This is a really bad idea for cars with ABS. When you empty the abs pump of fluid and replace with air, you will leave air trapped in the pump. only way to remove air from pump is activating the ABS. this is not that easy to do and flush enough. running new fluid works much better.

BTW I use the dry method takes less time and wastes less fluid
Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM
sig_a
Pro

[QUOTE=NJcroc;6586735]This is a really bad idea for cars with ABS.

I agree. But I don't have ABS.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

I flush my Motive bleeder after use with Nitrogen from my tires, that way there is no moisture and the brake fluid will stay fresh.

I'm kidding of course!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use only air in the MOTIV. Plenty of experience with these for 11 years of DEs, I also sell them.

Check MC res often and use the MOTIV as a pressure vessel only -
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have motiv
i fill it with fluid and use it the way the instruction suggested.
i know many ppl use it with air, as pressure source only.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION....

if you use it only as pressure source, why not just put somesort of adaptor and connect a bicycle pump (as pressure source) to the MC and pump away as if the bike pump is the motiv?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I made two rookie errors. Too much pressure (15 lbs) and not enough fluid for the job.

I was bleeding my clutch for the first time and the juice was exiting the slave cylinder nicely (but making a mess) and while repositioning the drain bottle the slave starts spitting air. In the time it took me to shimmy out from under the car, I had purged the whole system with air. I had to blow another liter of juice to get it back in operation again. Another selling point for Ate!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mooty, you need a containment device to hold the accumulated pressure - a bike pump doesn't have this.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Mooty, you need a containment device to hold the accumulated pressure - a bike pump doesn't have this.
right...
duh....

Quick Reply: Motive Power Bleeder - procedure