Buttonwillow compared to Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Canopy space? What's that?
Thunderhill has a bunch of space under the canopies for parking. I guess that I'm expecting too much from Bakersfield eh? But the smell of cattle on the way down was really pleasant!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 464 Posts

The morning fog that smells like Kettleman city (cows), followed by the dust clouds, are your canopy at Buttonwillow. At least there are showers to wash off the dust, yet they are out in the open so the folks on the I-5 can see you bathing...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
Thunderhill has a bunch of space under the canopies for parking. I guess that I'm expecting too much from Bakersfield eh? But the smell of cattle on the way down was really pleasant!
You might be able to get / rent a garage if they are doing that for the event.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:18 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
It's a rough track - it tends to eat numerous cars every time I've been there (not mine, fortunately). There is not good run-off room and it's a really tight track so it gets crowded quickly in races, especially after the last turn before the straight - so many cars hit the inside wall when blowing the last turn. I've witnessed the turn over the hill eating many a car's bumper, including causing cars to roll over if they go off-track. And the dust there is like no other - it just hangs, impeding all vision!
My advice - be careful!!
+1. I no longer run there becasue of the carnage. Track was designed by old school SCCA guys who thought sports cars ought to be 356's and TR4's. For a newer designed track not much thought was given to run off areas especially since most events are for amature racing. As garrett said, be careful.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

Well by now you get the idea...

The most important thing I like to impart to BW newbbies is that it takes a while to learn the track. Even with a guidebook and/or video, there are a lot of turns and it takes a while to get settled in. Expect some off relatively harmless track excursions... perhaps not you but someone in your run group.

Although relatively safe, there have been accidents and even fatalities-- it is a racing track.

As for the guidebook by Hank-- it has been a while since I have looked at it. Anything Hank does is first class, so you can count on it-- perhaps better than some random video. But you should know that back when Hank's current 3.8 liter TT car was new to him, he was bested in a Golden Gate Time Trial using that same track configuration, by a car with similar weight, less sophisticated suspension and less than half the bhp. Driven by the only woman to ever get the top time of day at a GGR Time Trial event. Underscores the great instructional program they have in the GGR.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

oops, I meant "relatively harmless off track excursions..."
Old 05-25-2009, 12:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,672 Likes on 2,333 Posts

sundog, i asw youar car, but didn't realize that was you, else i would have stopped by to chat.

harry, nice driving 2:10 i saw. i had to leave early today, lost all gears except 4th. it would have been a LONG race for me today.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:54 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sundog, i asw youar car, but didn't realize that was you, else i would have stopped by to chat.

harry, nice driving 2:10 i saw. i had to leave early today, lost all gears except 4th. it would have been a LONG race for me today.
What were you driving this weekend?

I had 2 spins happen right in front of me on the Star Mazda turn. Both drivers were taking the turn too hot. Good thing I put on the race pads before I went up for the weekend.

I had a pucker moment taking the left turn approaching Lost Hill, I came around too hot, and the rear end started coming around to the right, I was able to correct the excursion with 2 more tail wiggles and stay on the track, but by the time I realized it, I was already heading up the hill and thought, great I saved a spin only to launch myself off the top of the hill. So mash the brakes, and made the turn.

It was an adrenaline buzz that lasted for a couple of laps!

Fun weekend, and a couple of very fun Club races to watch!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

What were you driving this weekend?
the blue boxster with silver top in my avatar in the race group

I had 2 spins happen right in front of me on the Star Mazda turn. Both drivers were taking the turn too hot. Good thing I put on the race pads before I went up for the weekend.
also very little grip there, many went off straight.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a strange turn of events, I managed to keep all 4 wheels on the pavement and pointed in the right direction all 3 days.

It was nice to meet you on Sunday, Sundog. I expect we will bump into each other again.

John: Going to have the transmission replaced so you can race with us at the end of June?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom W
In a strange turn of events, I managed to keep all 4 wheels on the pavement and pointed in the right direction all 3 days.

It was nice to meet you on Sunday, Sundog. I expect we will bump into each other again.

John: Going to have the transmission replaced so you can race with us at the end of June?
it's either a indent pin (whatever that is) or the whole box shreded. eitherway, it will be ready by then.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

John sorry your tranny kept you from racing Sunday... We missed you. The SPBOX race on Sunday was just as exciting as Saturdays.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kgorman
John sorry your tranny kept you from racing Sunday... We missed you. The SPBOX race on Sunday was just as exciting as Saturdays.
no way man.
how can it be exciting without my 90+mph off
see u next round.

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow compared to Thunderhill