Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE instructor hand signals

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I instructed a spec Box. 2 day event. The student was very good but the sound w/o earplugs was awful. I had a wedding the day after: I had no equilibrium I was so messed up from that weird frequency/pitched droning those engines do... Wont do that again, lol.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Good news is I've got a Stilo with noise canceling ear muffs, plus an extra pair of ear plugs should I need them.. I'm not as concerned about my ears as much as I am the ability to communicate with the student
Old 04-28-2018, 01:46 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

My favorite gesture from an instructor usually on the second lap is when they grab their harness with both hands going into a high G corner.

Or this one

Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm happy to report back that the student's previous experience with communicators did not carry forward into this weekend. We were able to clearly talk and communicate at all times OTHER than while he was at full throttle...which as an intermediate student was much less than you would think. The student turned out to be great and willing to learn and try new things and we had a successful weekend.

That said we spent 5 minutes going over hand signals prior to the first session on the first day should we need them and while they wouldn't have been as effective as speaking I'm confident I would have made it work.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

I have been very lucky to work a number of times with a fantastic student who is deaf.
Before the first event we had a list of actions/signals we were going to use. After a few sessions these were narrowed and simplified. They included Brake-Brake Pressure, Throttle, Turn initiate and adjustment, Eyes and visual direction, Pit, Thumbs up and Applause. What was critical is that you both totally agree and understand what each gesture and subtle motion of you hand means. After each session; pointing to each corner and segment on the track map and then using the same hand signals to make suggestions helped us both get better at both driving and coaching. He had a sign language interpreter with him that helped with the process but it all comes down to an equal commitment and understanding on signs and values.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Good news is I've got a Stilo with noise canceling ear muffs, plus an extra pair of ear plugs should I need them.. I'm not as concerned about my ears as much as I am the ability to communicate with the student
I used to wear a Bell and with my race exhaust my ears would ring for the rest of the day. Sometimes I wore foam earplugs but most times I forgot.

Once I bought a Stilo I have had no problems. Great helmet!

Quick Reply: DE instructor hand signals