Sponsored by:

Ferrari to leave F1 if the 2010 regulations will not be amented

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Well, that's your opinion of course and your entitled to it, but Ferrari has leverage.

Toyota said they might pull out and nothing happened.

Red Bull said they might pull out and nothing happened.

Now Ferrari has spoken. Wannabet something happens?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2 pages on a Ferrari F1 thread and no sign of Sir A.Wayne?

I really don't want to go back to the OT P&C forum and drag him out again....
Old 05-13-2009, 12:45 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

There not gonna quit.....I just don't see that happening...

BUT if they did it would just about be the death kneel of F1..... so where would Ferrari race?? I'm guessing they would go back to ALMS and lemans....now that would be COOL and the popularity of those cars would boom too!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Well, that's your opinion of course and your entitled to it, but Ferrari has leverage.

The point is that Ferrari has cried wolf before yeet are still in F1. After so many times, people only take you seriously if you actually do something to back your threats.

I think Ferrari needs F1 as much as F1 needs Ferrari
Old 05-13-2009, 02:25 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can they still take their cars and go start a F-Zero racing league or something like that.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 AM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The point is that Ferrari has cried wolf before yeet are still in F1. After so many times, people only take you seriously if you actually do something to back your threats.

Crying wolf? The only other time they had seriously suggested dropping out like this, they actually built an Indy Car. IIRC they won that battle and were able to run a V12...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

I don't think the dancing donkey is going anywhere.
They will work it out with Spanky; the Midget will see to it.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

AND SO IT BEGINS.... WITH STATEMENTS FROM BERNIE

Ecclestone: "Ferrari is Formula One"
13 May 2009

Bernie Ecclestone is keen to see a future for Ferrari in Formula One after the possibility arose this week that the team may withdraw from the sport. An announcement from the team's Maranello base on Tuesday stated that Ferrari would not be submitting an entry to the 2010 championship without revision of the FIA's proposed budget cap.

The Scuderia, constructors' Champions in 16 years including 2008, has endured a highly frustrating start this season as F1 returned with highly differing aerodynamic regulations. With a £40m budget cap proposed for next year and the subsequent possibility of a 'two-tier' championship taking place, however, Ferrari has become the third team - after Toyota and Red Bull - to threaten an exit from the sport.

"I'm not one to talk about perfect marriages," F1 supremo Ecclestone said to The Times, having divorced from wife Slavica in November of last year, "but this is a perfect marriage. Formula One is Ferrari and Ferrari is Formula One; it's as simple as that and it's not going to change."

The FIA's proposed scheme would involve teams electing to compete with the budget cap option whilst enjoying more technical advantages or, alternatively, run on an unlimited budget by complying to more restricted technical rules, such as this year; it is this matter - of running with two sets of technical regulations in the field - over which teams are expressing their dissatisfaction. "I hope common sense will prevail, because the last thing we want to do is lose any of the manufacturers or teams currently in Formula One," Ecclestone added.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Egggzactly.

I don't buy Ferrari taking 50-70% of F1 fans with them either, nor no F1 without them. Don't buy it one bit. Maybe some years ago, but not today...
Originally Posted by Pete

Originally Posted by MTosi
Crying wolf? The only other time they had seriously suggested dropping out like this, they actually built an Indy Car. IIRC they won that battle and were able to run a V12...
No question about Ferrari leaving would take a ton of fans. Every race I've been in (once in Monaco and bunch of times in Hungary & Hockenheim), at least 70% of the fans have had red color on them. This was before Schumi in there and before they were successful and also after.

And while they've threatened to leave before, it's been in a different situation. If the 40 million pounds cap and two set of technical regulations would go through, Ferrari would have to lay off at least half of their staff and make big bunch of their factory to just sit empty.
Besides as I said earlier, F1 is not supposed to be cheap spec series, there are plenty of those already existing.
Of course FIA & Bernie have a point also since the costs have elevated but what they are now proposing is just plain stupid.

And BTW, now Renault has also said they'd leave is proposed rules go through so we now have Ferrari, Red Bull, Toyota and Renault leaving, it's getting pretty serious.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Free market. Let them spend whatever they want to. Why should F1 be any different than PCA?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ferrari and F1 both need each other. Both can exists seperated, but both will not have lusture they could have. Bernie may be an A-hole, but what does know is marketing money from F1. He know what it takes to make money off of F1 and he will make more money of Ferrari is around than if they leave the sport. Now is Ferrari bluffing? Hard to say for sure as without a doubt they are doing this in an attempt to use their muscle to prevent those rules from occuring. In end I don't see Ferrari leaving F1 as what will happen is some sort of compromise that allows both the FIA an Ferrari to look like winners.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Ferrari is not the only manufacturer threatening to leave.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45865

I sounds like F1 needs new leadership.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

We're now up to 50% of the grid with the addition of Renault and probably 75% of the engines on the grid.

I don't believe the teams disagree that costs need to come down, but to come from a high point and in the next year down to as low as 40 mil. pounds is a huge drop in a short amount of time.

It's not unlike the credit crunch in this country. We had easy credit for years and then it was just turned off all of a sudden which caused the economy to crash. If the decline was gradual, then it wouldn't have hurt so much and I believe that is what the compromise will eventually be.

Ferrari gets all the negative comments from those that don't like them, and that's fine, but when half the grid is in agreement with them, it's hard to say that Ferrari is the lone wolf is this matter. Let's not forget that it was Ferrari who protested the double diffusers because they were not in the spirit of the rules and many here found fault with that, but after the last race, many recognized that the parade racing is happening again with the inability to follow closely.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

.......................... ............................
Old 05-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

BE said Ferrari is bought and paid for and will not be going anywhere.

Quick Reply: Ferrari to leave F1 if the 2010 regulations will not be amented