How PCA racing needs to reorganize

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How PCA racing needs to reorganize

First off, I love PCA club racing and enjoy the camraderie of all of the members. If the economy hadn't hit me so hard, I'd still be racing. So it is with a positive focus that I would like to experess what I feel PCA should do with their classes.

Remember that Club Racing was created as a way for DE guys to drive their fairly stock cars to the track, race them wheel to wheel, and drive them home. The popularity of the program has grown so much that in practice we have moved completely away from that idea. With the exception of the GT3, there has been no other car in recent history that could show up to the track relatively unmodified and win. And now with all of the safety requirements, it is not possible to have a street legal car to race anymore. So lets move past the idea of racing stock cars and make reasonable groupings that make sense, competition-wise and financially.

I feel that the revamping of the race classes has been great, and with the exception of eliminating the distinction between street and race tires (or offering an equivalency formula) the 6 groups are quite good. The factory race car groups (GTC 1-4) are what they are and the Spec groups are fine.

The GTP 1-6 groups are silly. How many classes do we need for Factory race cars that do not fit into the other race catagories? Revise it so that it is down to 2. How many of those cars show up anyway?

So this brings us to the crux of the matter, the stock and prepared classes. Since I have whittled away 10 classes, we should now have enough room to have separate stock and prepared groupings. Stock can really be stock now, with rules designed to allow for cheap but effective modifications like camber plates (cheap & saves tires) and non-adjustable shocks. Expensive ones like remote reservoir shocks should not. Brakes should be stock, but any wheel that fits under a stock contour fender (rolled lips are ok) should be allowed as long as it is a single piece wheel. Interiors can be removed, but dashboards and passengers seats retained for the stock look and DE purposes. The current motor rules are good, but since many chip their motors for DEs, and it is allowed everywhere else, let it be legal. Motors & transes should be stock.

Prepared should bring the cars up to a new level, but with significantly less cost than a modified version of the car. Motor internals, cams, pistons, intake & injection etc should be stock except for specific reliabilty changes such as better retainers, stiffer valve springs and the M96 longeveity mods that are beginning to surface. Transes, brakes, and suspension parts should be free along with a 150 lb weigh reduction across the board. Bodywork can be free (but with a handicap formula for cars with flared fenders). This will allow those who run in NASA to more easily re-ballast their cars so they can come back and compete with us.

Hopefully, a better thought out 3 tier level to our program will allow for more cars to be competitive in their classes, and enable those DE specials and other racing series cars to come into PCA.

Of course this is just my opinion on the subject, your mileage may vary.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,332 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Are you running for FIA President in October?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without even beginning to address the meat of Larry's suggestions, this, while most likely true, makes me sad;
"it is not possible to have a street legal car to race anymore. So lets move past the idea of racing stock cars."
Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
First off, I love PCA club racing and enjoy the camraderie of all of the members. If the economy hadn't hit me so hard, I'd still be racing. So it is with a positive focus that I would like to experess what I feel PCA should do with their classes.

Remember that Club Racing was created as a way for DE guys to drive their fairly stock cars to the track, race them wheel to wheel, and drive them home. The popularity of the program has grown so much that in practice we have moved completely away from that idea. With the exception of the GT3, there has been no other car in recent history that could show up to the track relatively unmodified and win. And now with all of the safety requirements, it is not possible to have a street legal car to race anymore. So lets move past the idea of racing stock cars and make reasonable groupings that make sense, competition-wise and financially.

I feel that the revamping of the race classes has been great, and with the exception of eliminating the distinction between street and race tires (or offering an equivalency formula) the 6 groups are quite good. The factory race car groups (GTC 1-4) are what they are and the Spec groups are fine.

The GTP 1-6 groups are silly. How many classes do we need for Factory race cars that do not fit into the other race catagories? Revise it so that it is down to 2. How many of those cars show up anyway?

So this brings us to the crux of the matter, the stock and prepared classes. Since I have whittled away 10 classes, we should now have enough room to have separate stock and prepared groupings. Stock can really be stock now, with rules designed to allow for cheap but effective modifications like camber plates (cheap & saves tires) and non-adjustable shocks. Expensive ones like remote reservoir shocks should not. Brakes should be stock, but any wheel that fits under a stock contour fender (rolled lips are ok) should be allowed as long as it is a single piece wheel. Interiors can be removed, but dashboards and passengers seats retained for the stock look and DE purposes. The current motor rules are good, but since many chip their motors for DEs, and it is allowed everywhere else, let it be legal. Motors & transes should be stock.

Prepared should bring the cars up to a new level, but with significantly less cost than a modified version of the car. Motor internals, cams, pistons, intake & injection etc should be stock except for specific reliabilty changes such as better retainers, stiffer valve springs and the M96 longeveity mods that are beginning to surface. Transes, brakes, and suspension parts should be free along with a 150 lb weigh reduction across the board. Bodywork can be free (but with a handicap formula for cars with flared fenders). This will allow those who run in NASA to more easily re-ballast their cars so they can come back and compete with us.

Hopefully, a better thought out 3 tier level to our program will allow for more cars to be competitive in their classes, and enable those DE specials and other racing series cars to come into PCA.

Of course this is just my opinion on the subject, your mileage may vary.
+1 Larry.

If what you propose above would happen, you'd see me lineup at Sebring 48 hrs.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I'll +2 that!

It would be nice for something like this to happen. Hopefully the PCA gods will listen when you submit this to them before May 31! They do listen to us most of the time.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Without even beginning to address the meat of Larry's suggestions, this, while most likely true, makes me sad;
"it is not possible to have a street legal car to race anymore. So lets move past the idea of racing stock cars."
Not true. My car is street legal (Texas) and races in Prepared F with full roll cage. Maybe true in other states, though.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
hdemas
Instructor

I'll +4 that. I agree with most all of what was said. Sadly, the stock/prepared classes have been neglected over the years and no longer make sense. What should be the classes that have the most cars have been slowly dying.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I just want to be able to take out the carpets.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a requirement that all "stock" cars are driven to the track ?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1 Larry.

If what you propose above would happen, you'd see me lineup at Sebring 48 hrs.
Yeah right , between Hockey pucks to the nose bridge ...................

Larry , still looking for that ride huh

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
How about a requirement that all "stock" cars are driven to the track ?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:53 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Guys;
The background there is that I _do_ have a car that's street legal and driven to the track. Not exactly stock, but that's another matter.
Larry's points are still valid.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My idea is that if we can make the whole experience simpler (by not trailering a bunch of support stuff ) it might be more fun and CHEAPER!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Go Larry Go... Please make it happen!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Giacomo
Pro

To keep costs down in the stock classes I think some consideration should be given to going to a spec tire that can handle a higher number of heat cycles without falling off. I would personally be in favor of it. Sure its fun to smoke the hoosier crack pipe, and I continue to do so, but I could run more races if I could reduce tire cost.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To keep costs down in the stock classes I think some consideration should be given to going to a spec tire
There's a sponsorship opportunity here. I have to believe that in exchange for a small fee, a tire company would jump at a chance to sell tires into this community.

I know Michelin looked at this when the MPSC came out but they couldn't support all of the required sizes. Perhaps if it's just for Stock class then it's more do-able.

Quick Reply: How PCA racing needs to reorganize