Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Pin Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009 | 10:44 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Ok, I have to join this club or at least admit to being a member. This is what you do not do. Pick up your car at the shop having one of their tech's load your car for you. Then arrive late in a heavy downpour and just get in and drive. The hood flew back as I was passing a car at the end of the back straight at Mosport. It's amazing that you can actually see through the shattered windshield and rain just above the dashboard. So a new hood and hinges and since my car was a factory original non sunroof car a new non sunroof panel. Many $$$$ latter I travel from the Toronto area to VIR for a race. Repeat the above story in my first Friday morning session. Spend the day getting another new windshield installed(at least they are not stone pitted being replaced so often), bending and welding the hinges into some semblance of their original shape. Stand on the hood with friends to get it back on.

So I now have two bent original non sunroof panels. The second is still on the car, just in case this disease comes in three's. Oh and I tossed the hood pins in favour of the original hood release which has worked just fine.... so far! I'll be at the Glen with my Riviera Blue 944 #211 if you want to come by and see my roof which I tell my competitors is a wind tunnel tested areo advantage.

Bill
Old 05-14-2009 | 01:32 AM
brucegre
Banned

Very good friend, racing a V8 powered 944, nosed into the tire wall but bounced back out, no damage other than the splitter on the ground. Turns it around, back on track, charging to get back up to the front, two corners later - up goes the hood. He now puts the hood pins in so they point to the back of the car - the tire wall pushed them out and that was that.

Quick Reply: Hood Pin Club