Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring of the Rockies 8 mile track (Colorado)

Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea where this track will be. It says an hour from Denver. Seems to be a secret.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
Real racers will race in the rain.

As for HP, forced induction is really the way to go up here. NA is usually only fun when your competition is all NA too.
I agree about rain....but I was thinking more SNOW... maybe its just me but the idea of a snow plow as a pace car...just doesn't sound fun to me
Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Any idea where this track will be. It says an hour from Denver. Seems to be a secret.
I believe it's supposed to be in the town of Agate, which is close to Limon. Compared to the new track in Byers, High Plains Raceway, which is 17 miles from the I-70 exit, it should be just about 10 miles further from Denver.

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I agree about rain....but I was thinking more SNOW... maybe its just me but the idea of a snow plow as a pace car...just doesn't sound fun to me
You're right, but it's very rare that we get snowed out for an event. Colorado weather changes dramatically and freqently. It'll be a blizzard one day and warm and sunny the next. In fact, that happened to us less than 2 weeks ago.

This is what it looked like towing to the track Friday afternoon... (and this was by far one of the better spots during that blizzard)

When we got to the track, there were crews brushing the snow off of it. Saturday was rain, then Sunday was warm and sunny...

Also, NASA does allow anti-freeze in race cars when the temperature could drop below freezing overnight, and I would expect that the other sanctioning bodies here are also reasonable about that.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you have been to Lime Rock in late March and early April?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,171 Likes on 411 Posts

...not sure why Denver gets the bad rep for lots of snow. It does get dumped on from time to time, but it usually melts off very quickly. Snowstorm one day, 2 feet falls, 60-70 the next and it melts within 2 days. Denver also gets very little rain. Most of the snow falls in the mountains.

This track looks nice, but Denver has more of a grass-roots type of motorsports market. Look at the history of High Plains raceway. a) This looks like a very expensive complex and b) for it to survive, it'll have to be funded and supported from outside Denver and attract people/races from all over.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
chris_v
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colorado gets more days of sunshine than any other state so it makes sense to build a track here in that regard.
Well see how this goes, seems like they have pretty high ambitions. I wonder if it will even be available to club racers or if its going to be more of a private thing.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_v
Colorado gets more days of sunshine than any other state ..
I think Arizona will fight you for that one.

However while we have perfect winters our summers are brutal. If this thig is Mid East funded I am sure they are looking for a place to play when it is too hot back home.

Still that will take ALOT of $$$$$$$$$$ to make it happen. From a club racer perspective I can't get too excited due to the "country club" nature of it. If the open it up to club guys then maybe, but I wonder if the denver area is getting saturated for club racing tracks. More is better for the racers, but that means that each org like SCCA or NASA will visit less and if the track is not rented every weekend during the racing season can it survive.

Now the really cool thing if I had wadds of cash us that it is 8 or 9 miles long and can run as 4 seperate tracks. 2-3 miles of pavement wil get boring if it is the only one you have, but 9 miles of it over many different layouts brings new challenges and keeps it fresh.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

Wow. I would be psyched to hit that especially if it were anywhere near Summit County

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ring of the Rockies 8 mile track (Colorado)