Slicks vs Hoosiers vs R888s ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick, some info on tire design:

Bias Slicks
Old technology, not used very often except in older series. These tires have had very limited new development in well over ten years, a long time in tire technology. Having said that, they perform amazingly well. These tires like very little camber. Usually <1 degree static and little or no camber gain. Because of this when analyzing tire temps you are actually looking for numbers reasonably close. Also much lower tire pressures.

Radial Slicks
This is what most new professional series are running, including the V8 Supercars you mentioned. These tires love lots of camber and camber gain. Understanding tire temps on these are truly an art. Because of the serious camber, you can't help but have much higher temps on the inside. They also wear very quickly and unevenly for the same reason. But the performance is far superior.

DOT race tires
Very similar characteristics to the Radial Slicks, but somewhat tamer in the amount of camber required. Having said that, you'd still be surprised at the amount of camber it takes to get the most out of the tires. Again, they wear much faster than most of us could afford. If you have an opportunity to go to a series such as the old Speed World Challenge, have a look at the setups in the pits. They run Toyos, you'd think the camber was way to much.

Hope that helps
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Some good info there guys.
For the record I'm running a fair bit of tire up front with 285s all round. I wasn't sure what pressure to start these on. We had 30psi cold but it was raining and didn't get any useful laps anyway. I'll try something like 25psi cold next start I think.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
What is the longevity of these vs. Hoosiers or lets say NT01's?
IMO, they are as sticky as R6's & dn't go away as fast in most circumstances. On my M3, I am getting ~22-26 hard heat cycles, depending on track mix & weather. I am getting ~30 out of the NT01's, with 1/3 of those sucky due to full tread squirm when they are new. Hope to get the next set of NT01's shaved, however.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Here is the link to Hoosier's R6 tire pressure recommendation. It is by car weight.

http://www.hoosiertire.com/Tctips.ht...ecommendations

Quick synopsis is:

2600 to 3000 lb car
Cold = 27-32
Hot = 37-41

Over 3000 lb
Cold = 27-33
Hot = 38-43

Quick Reply: Slicks vs Hoosiers vs R888s ??