Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PF97+Zimmerman rotor+rain=Huge mess (I don't get it)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PF97+Zimmerman rotor+rain=Huge mess (I don't get it)

This is the situation. I bought this black S2 in my avatar about a year ago. Immediately I dropped in some brand new PF-97s with the rotors that were in there and ran it that way the rest of the season including between events and the occasional rain and maybe one partial ran session at VIR during a hurricane.

Over the winter I pulled the PF97s for stock pads and then replaced the rotors with brand new Zimmerman rotors with the coating on them in the front and slightly used rotors in the rear with a lot of life. I put the PF97s back in in March and then bedded the pads in in the rain. Short on time I left it and didn't clean the wheels. I noticed some surface rust on the paint of the body. (The wheels were pretty much trashed from the caked on crap. Shame on me).

On Monday I did a DE in the pouring rain at Summit. I wasn't going ***** out, but was getting something out of the rotten day. When I got home I parked the car and didn't clean it or anything. I had planned to wash it tonight anyway after another day of rain and found that there was rust all down the sides of the car on the paint. I assume from the pads/rotors.

I don't get it.

I had a different 944 (see signature) where I used PF97s and never experienced this. In fact I never had this problem with this car last season. Are the pads wearing more with this car (it's faster/heavier) or are they wearing more with these rotors (zinc coating is all gone) or what? I was able to wash of what I could see of the rust with a chemical designed for cleaning brake dust off wheels. I'm going to have to really wax the car now.

I did a search on this and only found this one thread where rust on the body was discovered. I know many of you run in the rain....what am I not thinking about here? (Basically, is there something wrong? The variable seems to be the rain each time.)

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...acid-rain.html

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I think it's the new rotors. I got all new Zimmerman rotors before the Atlanta race which was rainy and my wheels are ruined also. I had previously run in the rain with the 97s and didn't have this problem on old rotors. Oh well...
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...Is there something different about the metal they are made from?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you say China?

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Thanks...Is there something different about the metal they are made from?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi.

i can't comment so much on the 'zimmerman rotors' and PFC pads, but i can comment that Hawk Blues and any type of rotors used in the rain used to really trash my paint back in the day (i don't use the hawks any more). if you didn't clean off the residue immediately, while it was still wet, it would dry and cake onto the wheels and body in a 'rustlike matrix' and really was a bitch to attempt to remove...

good luck, and i hope that all goes well with your detailing!

todd
ReidSpeed

Quick Reply: PF97+Zimmerman rotor+rain=Huge mess (I don't get it)