Trying to find all the ADVANCED race instruction

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Question Trying to find all the ADVANCED race instruction

Having limited success here... not looking for the basic comp license and extra lapping day type scenarios, but the more advanced stuff (like show up with your own car, get some expert, tailored instruction)...

So far I've found that the Mid-O school does seem to offer that... Bondurant, Bertil Roos and Skippy all seem to just have the pre-packaged courses... looks like the Panoz school has been absorbed by Skippy, and Daly's deal seems to have evaporated - now American Driving Academy, and they don't even have a website!

Am I missing any others? I'm looking for that "OK I've got a season under my belt, now let's take it to another level" kind of thing...

TIA...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Where do the Speed Secrets coaches fall on your list?

At cups/saucers at the Glen, you can "rent" the coaches.

Or are you looking for something like "Skippy's spring training for F1 drivers"?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:04 PM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of the schools offer advanced courses with coaching - give them a call directly and ask them about it. I've rented the Jim Russel cars at Tremblant and got some good instruction that way, I raced the Mustangs at Miller Motorsport Park one weekend and had Desiree Wilson, Cindi Lux and Charlie Putman all coaching (fortunately they were all on the same page).

There are a lot of pro drivers offering coaching that are really good, guys like JF Dumoulin, David Empringham, David Murray - and I'm sure others will chime in with more names - they will come to a lapping event and work just with you. It's worth every penny.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM
tmark
Instructor

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Having limited success here... not looking for the basic comp license and extra lapping day type scenarios, but the more advanced stuff (like show up with your own car, get some expert, tailored instruction)...

So far I've found that the Mid-O school does seem to offer that... Bondurant, Bertil Roos and Skippy all seem to just have the pre-packaged courses... looks like the Panoz school has been absorbed by Skippy, and Daly's deal seems to have evaporated - now American Driving Academy, and they don't even have a website!

Am I missing any others? I'm looking for that "OK I've got a season under my belt, now let's take it to another level" kind of thing...

TIA...
Many pro drivers are available for private coaching. I've worked with David Murry (factory driver for BMW, Porsche and Lotus - currently competing in ALMS in the Robertson Ford GT-R) in the past. Incredible learning experience and David's a blast to work with. www.davidmurry.com.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:34 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Vaughan - You're right that the Mid-O School will do one-on-one coaching. Their head instructor, Tommy whats-his-name is great. Is this for your wife, by chance?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Just do a regular HPDE event and hire a pro to instruct you. Stuff like chin motorsports with open passing will be good and if you are solo'd then you are fine... if they were to put you as a student you could send them an email and tell them what you plan to do and they will definitely accomodate you.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

You can do it in Your car at MSR using my building for storage, Topp Racing for support. There is a drivers lounge in addition to suites available upstairs, soon to be a Best Western across the street, a great bar and steakhouse next door.

I can coach You(less $) or Patrick Long or Darren Law can coach You(more $)
Both won the 24 of Daytona this year so hard to improve on that...

PM me for details if You want to pursue it. We can arrange for transport for Your car also. We can also dyno Your car, setup Your car etc...onsite or even make changes during the day so You can go out and feel the changes. If You cant or dont want to bring Your car we have a Spec Miata, a 996 Cup and a 997 Cup available. Obviously data is helpful if Your car has it.

Doubt You could get a better situation than this, everyone who has done it has made exponential leaps in very short time.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Vaughan: Get in contact with Seth Thomas or me.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
granracing
Advanced

So....who is this for?

What are the typical costs for these types of private coaching sessions assuming one brings the car to the track themselves. I have to imagine finding someone in the general track location would make the pricing much more reasonable. For example, Glen, coming from TX to OH (or CT ) would quickly add to the pricing.

Vaughn, for comparison purposes I tentatively have a session with Eric Curran at Lime Rock and he charges between $500 - $700, plus the DE's entry fee.

Dave
Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

IMO, it is very difficult to conduct private coaching for any but beginning or intermediate students in a traditional DE setting. Open track events and/or member days/private days are much more suitable, and much more effective for quantifying results.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In addition to driving schools, BMW CCA also runs Club Racing schools a few times each summer.

See http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com for the events

Speed Secrets is great but there are other driving coaches out there as well. To contact some go to http://www.driversmeeting.com and look for: Ross Bentley, Kevin York, Peter Krause, Aaron Povoledo, etc.

Ask around and you should be able to find them...
Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
granracing
Advanced

I agree Veloce, but also much more expensive. It's helps Vaughan and I a bit that we drive low HP cars and can pester the higher HP cars. Some of the other open passing events that I've looked into also don't allow a passenger to ride along.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by granracing
I agree Veloce, but also much more expensive. It's helps Vaughan and I a bit that we drive low HP cars and can pester the higher HP cars. Some of the other open passing events that I've looked into also don't allow a passenger to ride along.

Yes, in pure $ costs, it can be more expensive, although not necessarily, since many open track events cost about the same as a DE. Nevertheless, in results per dollar, it is much less expensive IMO.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree you need a private coach, I work with Craig stanton on a monthly basis and he will fly out to you (at your expense obviously) and he has shaved like 5 s of my lap times.

I agree with VR. A DE is not an appropriate setting. You need an open track day. You can find one on a friday before a race weekend for cheap or free. Or rent the track $$$$$$$$$

it also helped me immensely to have my coach there during a race weekend, reviewing data, on the radio, spotting etc.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

We can have the track privately( not as expensive as You think, maximum track time) do a member day(low car count and lots of track time) or a DE(least favorable option for improvement quickly) obviously its best to do the DE's a few times before ramping it up. We have also done 6-10 people with Pat at a time , more of an experience with significant coaching through lead follow and observation in addition to lots of track time, data discussion, technique ,racecraft etc...most rewarding as far as pure skill gains are one on one.

Quick Reply: Trying to find all the ADVANCED race instruction