Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Engine swap into 944Cup Car: can I drop the entire suspension and Engine Together?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Engine swap into 944Cup Car: can I drop the entire suspension and Engine Together?

I am about to swap the 2,7L engine from my wrecked 944Cup car into another race car that has a 2.5L engine. I saw a thread describing hpw to do this by disconnecting the entire suspension and dropping everything together. I can't find the thread now, but I think it was in the 951 forum.

Can anyone point me to the thread or give me instructions on doing it this way?
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2009, 03:16 PM
jwade944
Instructor

I have not seen the thread. You would need to disconnect the brake lines from the calipers. Remove the bolts at the rear of the front control arms that hold the caster blocks to the body. Remove the 4 small bolts in the top of each strut tower. Everything else should be the same as the typical method.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much correct. I just did this during my offseason motor swap. You do need to disco the steering shaft from the steering rack too. If you have power steering, you'll need to remove the pump lines to the reservoir. Obviously the wiring harness will need to be disconnected from everything, as will the hydraulic line to the clutch slave and the rubber hose leading to the heater core if you still have that.

But it can indeed be done and IMHO, it is the best way. to get everything back in properly wipeout and I had to remove the front bumper to get the engine hoist far enough in, and we had to hook the crossmember and suspension stuff back up to the motor before putting it into position, otherwise we couldn't get it to line up easy enough. the advantage is that other than minor changes from the castor block bolt position your alignment should be pretty much spot on still when it goes back together.

I would indeed use the same method again next time. BTW, that blue color is VERY nice!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get started on the swap
Old 04-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Too bad you are not closer, I'm done with my car projects for the weekend and could help. Instead I'll pop a beer and drink it in your honor
Old 04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Tim, Thanks I'll think of you having a beer while I'm dropping the engine
Old 04-19-2009, 08:56 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT... sort of;

I think you should still fix the old car. The last thing this world needs is another 944 junked or parted when it is repairable. Save the good cars as good. Repair the wrecked racers (if feasible) and keep them racing where they belong. It is usually much easier, and it's the right thing to fdo besides. Racing Karma counts.

Unless it was a POS to start with...

Quick Reply: ? Engine swap into 944Cup Car: can I drop the entire suspension and Engine Together?