Sponsored by:

993 Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
rgreeny
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Suspension questions

I have a 96 coupe that I have just put PSS10 and TRG sways front and rear. I am driving DEs and need to know when to adjust shocks either tighter or looser (front or rear) and when to adjust the sways (front and rear).

I set the shocks at 7-fronts, 9- rear and the sways are set in the middle hole for the track.

I am looking for another DE driver or racer to help me.

I have try to find info on line, but have not had good results.

Thanx in advance.

Rob
Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 171 Posts

Look for "Mark in Baltimore" (Mark Lee), best "stock" 993 guy I know of up this way..
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I have PSS9 on a 996, and I'm guessing it's still similar. I run 2 front and 1 rear and that seems to work well on the track. I think you're on the wrong end of the settings. I would try 2/2 or 3/3 and see how it feels.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 PM
jsh
Instructor

Rob:

First, I'm certainly not an expert in this field, but I'll pass along what I've found with my 993 with PSS10's. I started with both front and rear at a setting of 4 to see how it felt. I immediately thought (again I'm a novice) that it felt way too soft. I reacted and set both front and back to full 10, but since have set the front to 6 and the rear to 8 after feeling what I thought was the car washing out or understeering which was particularly noticable at the end of a session with hot tires. There was a noticeable improvement, but I'm still experimenting and getting as much input as I can from experienced folks....
Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the identical set-up on my 993.

I set the rears to full Stiff... 1
Fronts are around 2 or 3

TRG Sways need adjusted to dial in or out Under/Over Steer.
This is completely dependent upon your driving style, tires, track, etc. etc.

Start with both front & Rear at Medium. (the middle selection) I currently have mine set like that for Road Atlanta.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What spring rates are you running? Bushing stock? Larry and I recently started tuning a proper full race setup on my 993 ( I have three setups prior for racing). Cervelli specified the springs etc and it is really hooked up. The shocks are going to make differences based on the rest of the setup. If your trying to really get it dialed in, then a datalogger is going to help along with an experienced driver. Remember, what feels good for someone else may not be your style in the end. If your still learning, then adapting to a coaches suggestions along with car tuning will really help.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:15 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Rob,

Way too many factors are involved in the process to recommend a generic guide line. The biggest factor is really determining what the car is doing right/wrong. That seems to be the biggest hurtle. You may think its reacting one way (let's say oversteering), when in reality, it caused by driving style. One thing that use to make me laugh is that the adjustment that really worked for me was the opposite of what most recommended (and the general guide line).

Anyway, looks like you are in the DFW area. So am I... I've been messing around with my 993 on the track for way too many years, so I've got a little advice for here and there. Feel free to track me down at the DE's and I'll see what I can do (I won't be at MSR in two weeks though). BTW, what run group do you usually run in?

George
Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I had Pss9s on my 993 TT and ran 3 front 4 rears on the street and
1 fronts and 2 rears on the track. ANything over 5s is WAY TOO soft.
Good Luck!!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I would take George up on his offer. He has been around the block. Just be careful, he likes to wear women's undergarments on the track.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Agree with most of the advice here as I have set this combo up many times for people. On PSS10s, full stiff (1) rear, front a couple of clicks off full stiff (2-3). On the front sway, second hole from the end or the second softest setting. Rear sway middle hole or stiffest setting (this is used to fine tune to your style). Make sure you have MAX negative camber in front (generally with stock mounts you will be in the -1.1 to -1.4 range). Make the rear negative camber about -.3 more than front (so -1.4 to -1.7). Hope you are running R compunds at the track.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Look for "Mark in Baltimore" (Mark Lee), best "stock" 993 guy I know of up this way..
Looks like I have to send another check your way, Gary . . .

Originally Posted by George A
Rob,

Way too many factors are involved in the process to recommend a generic guide line. The biggest factor is really determining what the car is doing right/wrong. That seems to be the biggest hurtle. You may think its reacting one way (let's say oversteering), when in reality, it caused by driving style. One thing that use to make me laugh is that the adjustment that really worked for me was the opposite of what most recommended (and the general guide line).

Anyway, looks like you are in the DFW area. So am I... I've been messing around with my 993 on the track for way too many years, so I've got a little advice for here and there. Feel free to track me down at the DE's and I'll see what I can do (I won't be at MSR in two weeks though). BTW, what run group do you usually run in?

George
I think this is great advice. I'm not sure why you are adjusting the car (not saying you shouldn't). You don't say what the car is doing or why you want to adjust it.

Getting back to your original question, I always set my sway bars first and then adjust the shocks. Despite Gary's post, I am not the best at 993 set-up and don't even have data acquisition. I did run PSS-9's and TRG sways when I first started DE'ing and had the sways at a middle setting in the front and full hard in the rear. PSS-9's were set to 2 or 3 front/1 or 2 rear.

I have since changed my driving style and learned to rely on some understeer from the car. With Motons, my TRG's are set at full soft in the rear, somewhere-in-the-middle for the front. This set up has made the car very quick and forgiving in my hands, but perhaps my driving style will evolve yet again.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobt993
I would take George up on his offer. He has been around the block. Just be careful, he likes to wear women's undergarments on the track.
Damn, you remembered that one!!!! I guess I'll have a hard time living that one down....

G.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993

Wait.......you don't?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Look up George A, embarrassing moment at the track..... LOL!! BTW George the shocks I got from you worked great, unfortunately I fell off the slope like you and ended up with Motons and a Cervelli spring setup.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with front 3 or 2 and rear full stiff type of guys also but as already said, you need to go out and try how your car handles.

Start with maybe F 3 or 4 and R 2 or 3 and depending whether you're over or understeering, adjust accordingly. For example if you have understeer issues, soften the front or tighten the rear.
But obviously the sway settings make a difference also... Start with front on the middle and maybe the rear one towards hard.

And remember, whenever you adjust something, only adjust ONE thing at the time. Maybe front sway, then go out and see how she behaves, then rear sway, then front shocks, then rear etc. but never adjust two things at the same time.

Quick Reply: 993 Suspension questions