Sponsored by:

Yes, I apologize in advance, another PFC97 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, I apologize in advance, another PFC97 question

I have read a number of threads going back over the past 2 years regarding the merits of Pagids vs. PFC. I am most of the way toward giving PFC97s a try instead of my current Pagid Oranges (RS 4-4). Two concerns that I have seen expressed are with respect to the PFC's brake dust, indicating it is very hard on painted wheels and that it will clog drilled rotors. I have drilled rotors and pretty painted Fuchs. From those of you who run PFCs all the time, in your experience are those common problems?

Mark
Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Brake pads are like a lifestyle choice -- everyone has different opinions because we all have different techniques. For me, the PFC97 generates WAAAAY too much heat and it's very easy to boil the fluid. I don't have this issue with Pagids.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

In a 2600LB Carerra with stock brakes, they are the only way to fly IMHO. Try a set.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
In a 2600LB Carerra with stock brakes, they are the only way to fly IMHO. Try a set.
Good point, I use Carbotechs in my Acura Integra racecar which is about 2500 lbs with me in it, and they work just fine. Those are very similar pads. PFC97 in a 3000 lb car just doesn't work for me.

I think it has to do with what kind of friction is primarily employed by the pads -- there is a good white paper of this on the Stoptech website.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

To the original poster -- what exactly are you looking to improve with the pad change? What problem are you having?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Hulbertr
Intermediate

The PFC 97's are great for your car. If your car looks THAT good, just wipe her down after each session. Replace your brake fluid with Motul 600 RBF and flush 3-4 pumps out of each caliper before each track weekend. If you race and are limited by rules, make sure to cool the rotors and calipers.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

The 97s have great performance and longevity and with proper cooling I only got slight fade during a 90 minute enduro.

Now for the bad news...the above was at the recent monsoon Road Atlanta club race. The pretty blue Fuchs you see in my avatar sat outside in the rain until Sunday when it finally dried up enough to use them. After Sunday they are ruined because of the wet wheels getting covered in brake dust. So far I have not found a way to clean them and the harder I scrub the more the paint gets scratched. Oh well, it's a race car. I did NOT have this problem in all the sessions I have done in the dry. The pads do generate brake dust but if it's onto a dry wheel it washes off easily. YMMV.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]The 97s have great performance and longevity and with proper cooling I only got slight fade during a 90 minute enduro.[/QUOTE}

I hate the Internet -- your racing brake pads fade?? I've boiled the fluid lots of times -- I don't know of any current racing pads that I would accept fading on.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, wet + dust = bad. The worst is if you have brake dust on the wheels already from some dry sessions, but continue to use the tires in a wet or damp track session afterwards. Clean your wheels between sessions and you will be ok. But be prepared to take crap from your fellow racers for this.

I've used 97's for years and love them. Just went to 01s on the front of my car and love them more.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the other posts. The PFC's are an awesome pad but they are very aggressive. They will likely decrease your rotor life and can cause overheating on heavy cars.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

To the original poster -- what exactly are you looking to improve with the pad change? What problem are you having?
I am not having specific problems. I was just thinking that it would not hurt to try something different given the descriptions of how the PFCs work vs. Pagids. My driving style with the car is still very much a work in progress, and so I do not know if I may end up liking PFC's better if I tried them. As well, the PFCs are a little cheaper than the Pagids. Having said that, if I am putting my pretty painted Fuchs at risk (I know, I know, but I have just come to accept that my desire to keep my car clean is a neurotic tendency) I may just stick with the Pagids for now, as I still have much to learn about driving a 911 and may not have sufficient skill to really be able to tell the difference between the two brands of pads.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The 97s have great performance and longevity and with proper cooling I only got slight fade during a 90 minute enduro.

Now for the bad news...the above was at the recent monsoon Road Atlanta club race. The pretty blue Fuchs you see in my avatar sat outside in the rain until Sunday when it finally dried up enough to use them. After Sunday they are ruined because of the wet wheels getting covered in brake dust. So far I have not found a way to clean them and the harder I scrub the more the paint gets scratched. Oh well, it's a race car. I did NOT have this problem in all the sessions I have done in the dry. The pads do generate brake dust but if it's onto a dry wheel it washes off easily. YMMV.
Hi Chris,

You ran some great laps at the Road Atlanta Club Race. I was using PFC97's also - have been using the PFC's in wet and dry for the past three years. They're excellent track pads, far fewer problems with rotor deposits, break-in issues, etc. than i've seen with other pads. Excellent in threshold braking, never a problem with modulation. Yes, heat can become an issue, but i've never had rotor problems...and my E car is no lightweight. The wheels are stainless (Fuchs and Fikse FM-5's) and no problems with dust or discoloration.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Will you and Doug be at VIR?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
Hi Chris,

You ran some great laps at the Road Atlanta Club Race. I was using PFC97's also - have been using the PFC's in wet and dry for the past three years. They're excellent track pads, far fewer problems with rotor deposits, break-in issues, etc. than i've seen with other pads. Excellent in threshold braking, never a problem with modulation. Yes, heat can become an issue, but i've never had rotor problems...and my E car is no lightweight. The wheels are stainless (Fuchs and Fikse FM-5's) and no problems with dust or discoloration.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Will you and Doug be at VIR?
Sending PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I used 01's on the front and 97s on the rear the first time I tried PFCs. I absolutely loved them. I have since tried a few other pads and also quite like the Pagid blacks. I bought another set of the same PFCs and was really disappointed. The differences were that I have more power in the car than before (which would hurt) and I've gone to a drilled rotor instead of a solid (which should help). My car is a 3000lb 951 with Big Reds and about 350hp at the crank. Oh and the drilled discs are stuffed after 3 trackdays. OEM 995tt rotors.
Not sure why there was such a noticeable difference between the two times I've run PFCs??? If anything my car lost a few pounds inbetween also.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drilled rotors get caked up
Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You ought to consider the Pagid YELLOWS as a considerable improvement for the Oranges -

Oranges are a fairly tame pad; Yellows are MUCH more track oriented and might just last twice as long......and they are so trouble free.

Quick Reply: Yes, I apologize in advance, another PFC97 question