Sponsored by:

Q: re checking stored tires for useful life

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Q: re checking stored tires for useful life

I was donated an older set of Hoosier R6 fronts 245/35-18 and some Hoosier slick rears (unknown compound, but has VRL on the tire). The tires look almost new, with no pickup on them at all.

But, the tires were stored on the rims for a long while (maybe a year or more) - and not in a cool dark place. Fortunately, they were out of direct sunlight, unfortunately, they were in an attic with unknown temperature variations. The R6s have a mfg date of 2306, but I couldn't figure out the slick dates [the do have 4LX1 on them, but that doesn't mean anything to me].

The thumbnail check indicates they are still soft, but not as soft as sticker R6s. I would hate to chunk them if they are useful, but I would hate to run them if common wisdom is to chunk them...

What can I do to check them for useful life? Also, any experience with the VRL tire? Can I run the two together?

-td
Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like there is little chance of them having frozen?
If that is the case, get a durometer and see what they read. For extra credit, dismount one tire and check the inside of the tire.

You should just experience reduced grip throughout the tire's life. If you are aware of this, you should be OK.

(OT, my son was at a Stars race in March and was uncharacteristically near the bottom of the sheets all day.....very unlike him. He couldn't hold a line and was all over the place on the GPS data. He had no idea what was wrong and changing chassis setups did nothing. Turns out at the end of the day, we discovered that the tires were 'new', just 2 years old and had been stored in the attic of the warehouse. We went out and got 'new' tires and he was 2 seconds/lap faster right out of the box).
Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't racing on them and the tires are free, I'd just mount em and run em if they look ok. If they have a little less grip than new stickers, who cares? They're free and it's just a DE/trackday. If they feel really bad, come in and take them off. But I tend to be a cheapskate...

Quick Reply: Q: re checking stored tires for useful life