Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's the Spec 996 movement progressing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts
Default How's the Spec 996 movement progressing?

Bought a '99 rolling tub and am starting to do a track conversion on it with fellow RLer Derek Oxford.

Are we the only ones that that are seizing the opportunity (cheap donor cars)- who else has bot or plans to get a car together this year?

There are some extraordinary deals to be had. Derek sourced a great car with factory rebuilt motor with less than 10k miles. I don't expect prices to rise in the near future (or ever perhaps) but lets get thrashing these cars on the track- not fit for the road, its what they deserve.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I just completed my rookie race at TWS in my 996 Spec car. That's it in my avatar. I ran the car in GTB since that's the closest thing that PCA has to the spec. The car still needs some work on suspension setup, and it needs to lose about 150lbs, but it's reasonably fast right now. Right now, I have the only one I know of in Texas. There are some built or being built in CA. I'm still confident we can make a go of the class. 996's are cheap AND very capable. We just need to develop critical mass.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

What have you done to yours? Whats your current weight running?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

http://996specracing.com/
Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I started building before the spec was set. As a consequence, my shocks are not to spec. I've got:

Third radiator
GT3 control arms, rear toe links, and sway bars with tarrett drop links
Cross competition coil-overs with 600/800 lb springs -- not spec
Odyssey battery with kill switch
Muffler bypass pipes
Firecharger fire suppresion system
Interior stripped
Full cage built by Topp Racing
I'm running 245/285 Toyo R888's (not the spec tire)

The car weighed in at 3090 with driver and 3/4 tank of gas at the TWS club race. We're about to take out the AC/heat & misc other stuff to get the weight down. I'm going to shoot for 2850 with driver so that the car is legal for GTB.

When we get enough cars, I'll switch to whatever the spec shocks are at that point (right now they are PSS9/10's).

I have a problem with Hoosiers being the spec tire, as the cost of running Hoosiers with their limited heat cycle tolerance drives the cost of operations up considerably. I'm hoping we'll settle on R888's or some other tire that is good down to the cord like the Toyos are. So until there are enough cars, I'm running the Toyos. One of the nice things about the R888's is that they are a credible rain tire, which means you can just keep two sets. One to run on, and a backup set to serve as a combination rain tires and replacements when you wear out your primary set. For me, having a spec is about even competition AND keeping running costs under control.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I hear ya. We're going JIC as well. Gotta believe folks are going to wake up on that one. How about run either- both approved.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I hear ya. We're going JIC as well. Gotta believe folks are going to wake up on that one. How about run either- both approved.
I suggested that. I think the PSS9's will need custom valving to work at the spring rates we need. The tires are the bigger issue for me, as they are such a big factor in terms of operating costs.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitto Nt-01 would be ideal choice.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Nitto Nt-01 would be ideal choice.
I respectfully disagree. I've got a set right now. They are good on the dry, and the price is right, but they are lousy in rain. R888's are good both wet and dry, and Toyo has a good reputation for supporting racing with a contingency program.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having Hoosiers for a "Spec" class where cost control is an objective is very silly, tires are probably or potentially, your number one highest cost consumable.
Having different dry and wet tires in said "Spec" class is also silly.
With that being said ....... IMHO, Toyo R888's make the most sense. Don't believe me ? Ok, how many other Spec classes run Hoosiers ? How many run Toyos ? Hankook ? Etc ?

Hell, make it an open tire before you JUST spec Hoosiers, that way the budget guys CAN run a cheaper tire if they so wish. Besides, I bet a few could even beat some of the big budget guys on talent alone which is always nice to see.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Having Hoosiers for a "Spec" class where cost control is an objective is very silly, tires are probably or potentially, your number one highest cost consumable.
Having different dry and wet tires in said "Spec" class is also silly.
With that being said ....... IMHO, Toyo R888's make the most sense. Don't believe me ? Ok, how many other Spec classes run Hoosiers ? How many run Toyos ? Hankook ? Etc ?

Hell, make it an open tire before you JUST spec Hoosiers, that way the budget guys CAN run a cheaper tire if they so wish. Besides, I bet a few could even beat some of the big budget guys on talent alone which is always nice to see.

+1 to you and Mike on this topic.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I'd say the same thing about coilovers. The Bilsteins offer no material advantage over the JICs which at the same money (or slightly less) offer better spring options and track performance.

Hell, I'd even allow guys to use Motons if they wanted. If they can afford them, set them up correctly and beat me than more power to them; at least I'd have an excuse in reserve for not beating them : p .

If the class has a chance for success, and obviously I think it does, then it needs to avoid some of the overly dogmatic PCA- type restrictions (within the context of a Spec class of course).
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
I'd say the same thing about coilovers. The Bilsteins offer no material advantage over the JICs which at the same money (or slightly less) offer better spring options and track performance.

Hell, I'd even allow guys to use Motons if they wanted. If they can afford them, set them up correctly and beat me than more power to them; at least I'd have an excuse in reserve for not beating them : p .

If the class has a chance for success, and obviously I think it does, then it needs to avoid some of the overly dogmatic PCA- type restrictions (within the context of a Spec class of course).
I like open class rules, that is why I like the NASA GTS series so much, it is pure hp/wt - pretty much anything else is open. That being said, usually the purpose of a "Spec" series is to control cost and truly have equal cars and make the focus more on driver talent. Hoosiers and Motons aren't really in the cost category. Truth be told I'd race golf carts if we all had equal golf carts, of course there would always be someone trying to find a stickier tire for their cart and bump the speed restrictor on the cart.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I hear you. There is stock and open and the wide spectrum in between.
With a sealed motor and trans and set minimum weight the major restrictions, I just think some latitude in suspension would be nice. And how about ANY R rated tire?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My springs should be in Wednesday, had to wait a month and a half for them to come in, then it's off the Johnsons for the alignment and I will have it out at Buttonwillow this weekend with speedventures. It currently has the spec springs with properly valved pss10. Weighs in around 2950 with 3/8 fuel and me @ 190 lbs. It is almost complete except for the flywheel, which me and the other 996 driver out here aren't doing until we need new clutches. I also still need to do the rear windows.

Last edited by JC3D; 04-14-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: How's the Spec 996 movement progressing?