Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

930 steering wheel vs deep dish (momo/sparco)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 930 steering wheel vs deep dish (momo/sparco)

I've got a brand new 930 steering wheel on the 911. After installing Recaro Pole Position seats, the wheel is too far out of reach.

I can have a spacer machined to get it closer and to eliminate the offset of the OE spacer. Or, I can sell and buy a deep dish wheel (Momo Mod 07 or Sparco 325).

Any disadvantages to the deep dish? Do they change the leverage feel?

I welcome advice and options. I'm having a lot of difficulty getting the car to fit me.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I lowered my seat, I had the problem. CDOC carries a spacer that is about the same depth as a deep dish for about $100. Either one works, it's up to you on the looks.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

The CDOC spacer fits an OE 930 wheel? I hadn't been able to find any spacer that did.

Add: I called CDOC, they said they have no spacers for OE wheels. Only 6-bolt styles.

Last edited by 911vet; 04-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nardi deep corn ftw
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

911Vet,

A few random thoughts for you to consider, if I may be so bold...:

1. I am now on my third wheel to try and determine the best 'fit' for me. This has been, of course, exacerbated by having first changed from the stock seats to Pole Positions, and then from the P.P.s to Profi XLs. For my frame (6'-3", lean), each seat had a "sweet spot", and no two were alike.
2. Following on #1, as I have progressed in my experience on track, I have changed my awareness of many things, including MY immediate environment (i.e., how I fit into my car). There is no doubt that my comfort level now, relative to seat position, arm and leg extension, etc. is different than when I started. For example, I prefer the steering wheel slightly closer to my torso than I did when I started.
3. The 930S wheel will LOOK best, IMHO, in your car, but it will most likely NOT feel best when on track. One of the things that stands out with the 930 wheel is weight; it is fairly heavy compared to aftermarket racing wheels, and you can feel it in the steering.
4. As shallow as it sounds, if you are at all smitten with the appearance of your car (and yes, I am certainly smitten with mine!), you will, at least iniitally, struggle with how a race wheel LOOKS. Obviously, you have to weigh this against function.
5. You really have to TRY something else before you will know for sure.
6. Pay attention to the different dish depths of the various wheels. I went from a Monte Carlo (basically flat), to the Sparco (~60mm depth), to the OMP (~90mm depth).

Just remember, once you start down that slippery slope...

Best of luck!

Dave
Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Brain fade. I was thinking Momo or similar...

Originally Posted by 911vet
The CDOC spacer fits an OE 930 wheel? I hadn't been able to find any spacer that did.

Add: I called CDOC, they said they have no spacers for OE wheels. Only 6-bolt styles.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveConn
911Vet,

Just remember, once you start down that slippery slope...

Best of luck!

Dave
Dave: I'm sliding down the slippery slope like I'm covered in Brad Penn oil.

I greatly appreciate your input.

You are correct... I initially resisted the race wheels based on aesthetics. However, my inability to achieve what feels like proper driver position has propelled me beyond most aesthetic considerations and into function.

I have the opposite problem in that I am very short (5'3") and being a woman means I have relatively long legs and a short torso and short arms (compared to a man). So even though I'm forced to have my seat very far forward, the wheel is still a little out of reach.

OK - I'm going to order a race wheel. I just have to figure out if I want a 70mm or 90mm dish now. If I get the 70 I can always add a spacer.

By the way, I added an elevation kit to my seats (Recaro Pole Position) and have dense SFI race foam under my seat cushion too. Then there's the aluminum blocks on my pedals so I can slide the seat back far enough that I can get my arm out the window behind the "vent" window.

I feel like a hobbit in the land of the giants.

Quick Reply: 930 steering wheel vs deep dish (momo/sparco)