Sponsored by:

Maverick PCA on MSR 3.1 mile track 4/25 - 4/26

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtC
It was a fun weekend until the rain started. Dave, nice to meet you and that ride was incredible! Definitely got me going a little better the next session. Wish the Sunday instruction could have worked out but we'll plan it next time.

Here's my 1st Sunday session. Lots of room for improvement. I think I know what most of the mistakes are, but any advice is welcome. http://www.vimeo.com/4368540
Kurt, very nice to meet you, too. I enjoyed having you along, glad you had fun. Raincheck on me riding with you for sure!

Your video shows some pretty doggone solid driving, bro, no lie. Two suggestions we can work on next time we're there together that might help in some key sections: not turning into Little Bend from quite so close to the left edge of the track, and being totally straight as you go over the crest into the Turd Bowl.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was a fun weekend until the rain started. Dave, nice to meet you and that ride was incredible! Definitely got me going a little better the next session. Wish the Sunday instruction could have worked out but we'll plan it next time.

Here's my 1st Sunday session. Lots of room for improvement. I think I know what most of the mistakes are, but any advice is welcome. http://www.vimeo.com/4368540
Kurt, I just enjoy watching you drive that Supra pass one Porsche after another!

I noticed that you had a pretty consistent line at Boot Hill that could be improved. That turn has a displaced apex, but it looks like you're trying to apex it at the curbing. That leads to corrections during the more important turn (Tombstone). At higher speeds, it could lead to an off at Tombstone track-out.

Think of Boot Hill + Tombstone as a single complex vs. two separate turns. When you do, you'll end up apexing Boot Hill closer to the middle of the track, and perhaps even turning in at Boot Hill a little later. And you'll exit Tombstone with higher speed for the straight down to Big Bend.

Thanks for the vid, I will post mine from Sunday am in the next few days... You can check out my line at Boot Hill (and find my own set of mistakes as well!).
Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
and being totally straight as you go over the crest into the Turd Bowl.

Don't take it too hard, Kurt... it took 2 instructors and a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking on Rennlist for me to finally get it. Even then, I flat spotted a tire coming down the other side of the crest this weekend.

VR, thanks for the help on Sunday! I would have sworn that I was faster this weekend than the last time I did the 3.1, but my racelogic data says otherwise. Have you heard anything about anomalies in GPS satellite operations this weekend?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
Kurt, I just enjoy watching you drive that Supra pass one Porsche after another!

I noticed that you had a pretty consistent line at Boot Hill that could be improved. That turn has a displaced apex, but it looks like you're trying to apex it at the curbing. That leads to corrections during the more important turn (Tombstone). At higher speeds, it could lead to an off at Tombstone track-out.

Think of Boot Hill + Tombstone as a single complex vs. two separate turns. When you do, you'll end up apexing Boot Hill closer to the middle of the track, and perhaps even turning in at Boot Hill a little later. And you'll exit Tombstone with higher speed for the straight down to Big Bend.

Thanks for the vid, I will post mine from Sunday am in the next few days... You can check out my line at Boot Hill (and find my own set of mistakes as well!).
These are solid points. However, you will often find some of the fastest guys/gals actually more or less double apexing Boot Hill (at the curbing) in order to place the car straighter towards the top & get to WOT sooner. In other words, giving up the entry in order to get to WOT at mid corner & be more stable up top entering Tombstone.

YMMV....

PS: Russell, it was great riding with you again!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

YMMV....

PS: Russell, it was great riding with you again!!!

Seriously! As in "from lap to lap"!

The pleasure was all mine... Perhaps I'll join the anti-ABS movement with TR6....
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas and kind words, guys. I'll watch my video again and look forward to your's, Russell, and think about those things. I do know that Boot Hill/Tombstone could have been better because I wasn't able to get to WOT until trackout from Tombstone on most of those laps. I was nailing that much better at previous DEs. It would have worked out by the next session, I'm sure.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are solid points. However, you will often find some of the fastest guys/gals actually more or less double apexing Boot Hill (at the curbing) in order to place the car straighter towards the top & get to WOT sooner. In other words, giving up the entry in order to get to WOT at mid corner & be more stable up top entering Tombstone.

YMMV...
I was going to say the same thing. From what I've observed riding with some fast drivers through there, the faster you are going through that boot hill/tombstone complex, the more the car is sliding, and therefore, the closer to the first apex the car needs to be to line up for the second half of the turn.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Here's my painfully slow 2nd Sunday session. First time I've been on a wet track and my rear tires were very close to worn out. I decided to pack up after this! Third turn is probably the most interesting. lol After that, I just show some of the slippery turns. Video is probably a bit too long.

http://www.vimeo.com/4381548
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's my painfully slow 2nd Sunday session. First time I've been on a wet track and my rear tires were very close to worn out. I decided to pack up after this! Third turn is probably the most interesting. lol After that, I just show some of the slippery turns. Video is probably a bit too long.

I'm speechless. Yeah, probably too long
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

MSR in the rain is useless. The only way to get any traction is to drive off line but then you have to be careful as you go across the normal line. The new section is better than the original but that's not saying much. There's just not much to learned by driving in the wet there.

G.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
MSR in the rain is useless. The only way to get any traction is to drive off line but then you have to be careful as you go across the normal line. The new section is better than the original but that's not saying much. There's just not much to learned by driving in the wet there.

G.
Then I'm glad I didn't miss much by packing up after the last dry session. I remember that TWS in the rain was actually quite fun and instructive and wondered if I was missing out this time.

As promised, here's the only video I got from the weekend - Sunday morning.
RV on the left; VR on the right.

http://www.vimeo.com/4402642
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Then I'm glad I didn't miss much by packing up after the last dry session. I remember that TWS in the rain was actually quite fun and instructive and wondered if I was missing out this time.

***'n A! My shoulder looks MAGNIFICENT!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

As I started watching it, the first thing that I thought of was that you need to work on the entry into Rattlesnake. Nice to see Dave actually making you do that.

BTW, I like the idea of the second camera. No more "I was just bracing myself" comments from Dave as he places his left had on your right thigh.... Now you have proof.

G.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

As I started watching it, the first thing that I thought of was that you need to work on the entry into Rattlesnake. Nice to see Dave actually making you do that.

BTW, I like the idea of the second camera. No more "I was just bracing myself" comments from Dave as he places his left had on your right thigh.... Now you have proof.

G.
I know you wish it were you & not me, sugar booger.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

G.
Well, that explains a lot.... Thanks for the heads up!

Yep, Dave shaves another second or two off my lap times

I had some really good Led Zeppelin background music in the video, but it didn't make it up to vimeo for some reason.

Quick Reply: Maverick PCA on MSR 3.1 mile track 4/25 - 4/26