Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is 4wd seen as a poor cousin to 2wd on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Matias_S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I'm not so sure ... granted it's not an apples to apples comparison, but when Audi took their Quattros to the Trans-Am pro series around 1990 or so, they made fools of the more powerful American iron. Hans Stuck used to say that the main reason the Quattros won was that with the 4WD he could put the car pretty much anywhere on the track and simply drive around the competition. Note that SCCA subsequently legislated the Audis out of Trans-Am after a couple seasons of this. 150 lbs might be worth taking on to get 4WD.

Scott
This is one of the incidents I refer to in my post above. Same happened in DTM...
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Todsimpson
How much more powerful were the V8's?

4 valve, turbo 5 cylinders make lots of HP.

True, but it was Hans Stuck's comment about putting the Audis pretty much anywhere on the track in the turns and driving around the competition that caught my attention. HP doesn't get you that.

As for how much hp the Audis made, I have to confess that I don't recall the numbers offhand, but I remember reading about the Audis in an issue of VW&Porsche or European Car (whatever it was at the time), and I recall thinking that the hp number quoted in the article was not all that high, maybe 500-600 hp. Even back then the American V8s would have been making probably 700 or so.

Scott
Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I have found that most AWD guys are jealous of how early 911 hot shoes can put down the power and drift the car hard all the way out of the turn, while they are grinding their way to trackout.
Yes indeed. (I compensate with a later apex, and probably lose more ground at turn-in vs. during track-out).

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
AWD 911s need that too, but the additional load on the front tires causes them to understeer and that slows them off of the corner as compared to a RWD 911.
Can be mitigated with a little negative camber up front, combined with softer springs in front; stiffer in the rear. Helps get the front end moving in the right direction at initial turn-in... before the understeer kicks in under full throttle. Add the late apex and the experience is not so "grinding".
Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 AM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Having been in the passenger seat and driver seat of a decently setup STi, I can honestly say that the car with AWD alters physics quite a bit, understeers quite a bit, you need to trail brake hard into the turn then get on the gas hard a lot earlier than I would in my C2. Basically the car feels completely out of shape but AWD helps it that much more on track with lots of slower corners
Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Exactly, case in point. They're not all understeering pigs. Looks to me like that Audi would still give a Cup Car a real run for it's money.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

In summary; more weight, more complexity/less reliability, less efficiency/power to the ground from the same HP motor.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, and a winning combination when you get everything right.

Quick Reply: Why is 4wd seen as a poor cousin to 2wd on our cars?