Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Sebring be Paved?
Leave the track surface as it is
50.68%
Repaved the entire surface
12.33%
repaved just the asphalt
6.85%
re-concrete just turn 1 and 17
9.59%
repaved track, clean up and modernize infield, build grandstands
20.55%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Sebring Paving Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009 | 09:38 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
For the truly bold and brave..........
Old 03-27-2009 | 11:16 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Bring back the old hairpin!
That would be fun but I have a hard enough time getting power down now. Definitely need a LSD for the old hairpin.

Even if it was a good idea, I doubt a resurface will happen in our lifetime. I would love to see them upgrade the facilities though. AC in the restrooms. Or at least fans would be really nice.
Old 03-27-2009 | 12:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

The track like it is has a lot of character. However the infield needs to be modernized and improved, I would love to see nice grandstands placed around the track with air conditioned restrooms and places to get food.
Old 03-27-2009 | 02:00 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
The track like it is has a lot of character. However the infield needs to be modernized and improved, I would love to see nice grandstands placed around the track with air conditioned restrooms and places to get food.
The infield has a lot of character too...the infield is part of what makes Sebring Sebring. From Sebring's perspective, why would they upgrade the infield when they fill it up every year for the 12 hour as it is? There's something really really great about watching a race from the Sebring infield.
Old 03-27-2009 | 02:16 PM
andrewdr
Racer

What is the attraction to the bad surface? Is that the core of Sebrings history as the arguments go? What would happen to the historical ball parks if they were never remodeled or rebuilt? The track has amazing potential.
Old 03-27-2009 | 02:37 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by andrewdr
What is the attraction to the bad surface?
Who said it was bad? It's different. It's part of what makes Sebring Sebring. It's tough on the car and driver. It's fun. T1 and T17 seperate men from boys.

If Sebring has so much additional potential, why is it already so booked up?

Shoot me in the head if all of our premier race tracks become smooth curbed, wide pavement, FIA/F1 approved tracks like all of the new tracks that F1 frequents around the world. I'll take character, bumpy curbs, etc any day of the week.
Old 03-27-2009 | 03:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

16 was my favorite turn. Top of 4th gear baby! For those of you who didn't drive it then, a current pic and the way it was.
Attached Images   
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-27-2009 | 03:11 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I haven't driven Sebring, but I think it's the best US track for an F1 grand prix, and would need to be modded to do so. That is the ONLY way I'd vote for a repave. Central FLA should be more than adequate to host a GP.

If that's not going to happen, then I go with the people that are passionate about the track.
Old 03-27-2009 | 03:15 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by wanna911
Central FLA should be more than adequate to host a GP.
You've obviously NEVER been to the town of Sebring...
Old 03-27-2009 | 03:22 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Originally Posted by sbelles
That would be fun but I have a hard enough time getting power down now. Definitely need a LSD for the old hairpin.

Even if it was a good idea, I doubt a resurface will happen in our lifetime. I would love to see them upgrade the facilities though. AC in the restrooms. Or at least fans would be really nice.

The old hairpin was really hard on brakes, and allowed for no mistakes...
a lot of cars were written off in that burm at the end. especially when the short course was run...

I loved it and miss it.

never drove the old T16... but 4th gear!!! Imagine the top speed for today's cars at end of back straight!
Old 03-27-2009 | 04:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
You've obviously NEVER been to the town of Sebring...

No, which is why I said Central Fla, it should be local enough. No?
Old 03-27-2009 | 04:51 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If you really get down to it, the repaving/rehaping that they did to the track in the late 90's ruined a portion of it's character anyway. Why not fix the whole thing? Personally, I miss the killer hairpin and the high speed sweeper onto the back straight - 8 cars wide!
I agree it isn't what it used to be...finish the job right and got more racing there, (CART/F1).
Originally Posted by PedroNole
Bring back the old hairpin!
+1 The new one is not a haipin! (Compared to the old one).
Originally Posted by VERBOTN125
For the truly bold and brave..........
If completely repaved the grip/speeds would be greater therefore making it for the bolder and braver!
I haven't driven Sebring, but I think it's the best US track for an F1 grand prix, and would need to be modded to do so....
Sebring, Road America or Laguna...those would be my choices.
Originally Posted by mrbillfll
The old hairpin was really hard on brakes, and allowed for no mistakes...
a lot of cars were written off in that burm at the end. especially when the short course was run...

I loved it and miss it.

never drove the old T16... but 4th gear!!! Imagine the top speed for today's cars at end of back straight!
+1 on the hairpin...

I drove the old 16 many times and man it really made 17 a much more interesting deal.

BTW I for one would not miss the bumps...their more of a pain in A$$ literally than anything else.
Old 03-27-2009 | 06:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
The infield has a lot of character too...the infield is part of what makes Sebring Sebring. From Sebring's perspective, why would they upgrade the infield when they fill it up every year for the 12 hour as it is? There's something really really great about watching a race from the Sebring infield.
Because if they repaved the infield roads, set up better grand stands, better restroom facility's they could attrack more than just 1 race a year. Unless the owners of Sebring are comfortable with 1 race, local DE clubs and race team test sessions they could grow this track and host other sancationing racing business.
Old 03-27-2009 | 07:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

No, which is why I said Central Fla, it should be local enough. No?
No still not close enought to Orlando, Tampa or Miami to host such an event. Hotels, resturants and other attractions are no where near enough in Sebring.
Old 03-27-2009 | 09:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Because if they repaved the infield roads, set up better grand stands, better restroom facility's they could attrack more than just 1 race a year. Unless the owners of Sebring are comfortable with 1 race, local DE clubs and race team test sessions they could grow this track and host other sancationing racing business.
Well...

No still not close enought to Orlando, Tampa or Miami to host such an event. Hotels, resturants and other attractions are no where near enough in Sebring.
There's nothing IN Sebring to allow for additional races. Even tracks like VIR have more options for hotels, etc it seems. The 12 hour works because such a large portion of the fans stay AT the track. That probably wouldn't be the case with other events.

Grand-Am would probably never have an event at Sebring because Sebring has become the "rival" event to the Daytona 24.

Quick Reply: Sebring Paving Poll