Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta PCA March 26-30 Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 11:40 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

So far 147 are registered for the sprint races, about 50 short of last year.

There are only 5 I and 5 H cars, come on we can do better than that!
Old 03-12-2009 | 11:49 AM
ga911
Advanced

I'll be there as a rookie as well, my first PCA club race... adding one more car to the GTB field. Very much looking forward to it.
Old 03-12-2009 | 12:13 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'll be there.

Remember all you racers - this is the first race of the Zone 3 Club Race Challenge!!
Attached Images  

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-12-2009 | 03:07 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

+1
with an "X" in the rear license plate well
Old 03-13-2009 | 07:04 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkM
Don, you are referencing the practice starts on Friday afternoon. Look at the schedule on line, they start at 3:00.

You take 3 rolling starts, and on the third one race to the checker. Usually a 6 lap practice race or something like that.
Thanks, Mark. I wasn't sure if we rookies got extra track time or not

How's your car?
Old 03-13-2009 | 10:29 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Originally Posted by MomentumGuy
Thanks, Mark. I wasn't sure if we rookies got extra track time or not
The Practice Starts/Fun Races are open to everyone, but required for the rookies. I'm not sure if I'd classify that as "extra". This will be my 3rd year CR'ing and I always do the Practice Starts/Fun Races because (1) I need practice during starts and (2) well... they're fun!!

This will be my first event at Road Atlanta.
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:28 PM
Jack667
Drifting

I have some Hoosier Racing Wets for sale that I could deliver to the track for the Club Race.
16" 944 type wheels. All for are 8" wide with 52mm offsets. Two of the tires are 225/16 and two are 245/16. They are a few years old, but only used once. The tires cost $800+ and the wheels should be worth about $400.
I'll sell the set for $750. PM me if interested.
Old 03-13-2009 | 02:41 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
The Practice Starts/Fun Races are open to everyone, but required for the rookies. I'm not sure if I'd classify that as "extra". This will be my 3rd year CR'ing and I always do the Practice Starts/Fun Races because (1) I need practice during starts and (2) well... they're fun!!

This will be my first event at Road Atlanta.
+1 Agree. I always to the starts for the same reasons. Besides, my thought is that we're at the track to race. This is just another opportunity to do some racing.

Jimbo - you DEFINITELY want to do as many starts as possible if it's your first RA race. Down the hill onto the front straight can be a bit intimidating, especially at the start when people who know the track better come flying by you.....
Old 03-13-2009 | 03:48 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Originally Posted by naroescape
Besides, my thought is that we're at the track to race. This is just another opportunity to do some racing.
+1. Also, for practice start #2 & #3, you can force/pick which side you start on. I always like to practice starts from both sides of track. That way I can see all the off-line(s) going into T1.
Old 03-13-2009 | 03:53 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
+1. Also, for practice start #2 & #3, you can force/pick which side you start on. I always like to practice starts from both sides of track. That way I can see all the off-line(s) going into T1.
Good point.

My VIR race, starte #1 on the outside....everyone on the inside zipped right by us. So, started #2 on the inside, only to get stuck behind a rookie that almost came to a stop feeling too "pinched" in - everyone on the outside went right past. #3, back on the outside, just to have the guy in front of me spin and put me off the track to avoid him. All in all, I ended up 6 spots back after all this

Better to learn this all in practices.... (I'll stop short of the part of the story that has me missing a shift and ending my weekend.... )
Old 03-13-2009 | 05:15 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Bob, the start at RA is the only time you can take 12 at a 'comfortable speed' turn one starts are hairy for the rookies, and me as well.

Don, the car is OK. Had a horrible day if you didn't hear. Spent the first 4 hours waiting at Jim Ellis for a replacement key, and tehn overrevved the engine on about lap 10. Shear off the pulley and belts, but the engine still has perfect compression and leak down. I won't post what I revved it too.

Hopefully the bad mojo is gone before the race!
Old 03-13-2009 | 05:23 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarkM
Bob, the start at RA is the only time you can take 12 at a 'comfortable speed' turn one starts are hairy for the rookies, and me as well.
Agreed. But my first LAP of RA was during the practice starts!!

2007, First practice, got 1/2 way around lap one, and realized I left the fuel cap off, spilling fuel everywhere - so I limped under the bridge, into the pits.

Second practice, out lap, broke a CV joint on turn 5. Got towed in. Missed practice #3. First full lap was the pace car lap for the practice starts! I was way in the back (no lap times), but I guess so were about 5-6 others. I have no radio, so when the green drops, I got 6 cars passing me on all sides, over the hill, where you can't see a damn thing - remember, this was my first time over that hill down to turn 12!

By the end of the race, I passed someone on the inside down the hill...but those first few starts....
Old 03-13-2009 | 10:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Good for you! And good luck!
Thanks! Sorry you won't be there. Maybe in 2010?
Old 03-14-2009 | 11:50 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Agreed. But my first LAP of RA was during the practice starts!!

2007, First practice, got 1/2 way around lap one, and realized I left the fuel cap off, spilling fuel everywhere - so I limped under the bridge, into the pits.

Second practice, out lap, broke a CV joint on turn 5. Got towed in. Missed practice #3. First full lap was the pace car lap for the practice starts! I was way in the back (no lap times), but I guess so were about 5-6 others. I have no radio, so when the green drops, I got 6 cars passing me on all sides, over the hill, where you can't see a damn thing - remember, this was my first time over that hill down to turn 12!

By the end of the race, I passed someone on the inside down the hill...but those first few starts....
My first PCA race in ATL was about the same! First time in a GT3 cup. First lap, the pit speed limiter was on, I had no idea what it was, so I had a 10 minute lap time back to the pits.

Next session I saw someone hit the wall just coming onto the track from the pits - what an idiot! Then I did the same thing when I hit the same oil. THANKS A LOT for telling us there was #$@$##$ oil on the $%^$%^$ track.... Farnbacher-Loles repaired the broken suspension and I went out. But the halfshaft broke up the first hill from damage caused by putting it on the flatbed (I told him he was breaking it but he didn't care). Then my qualifying was bad, starting from way back. In the race I got stuck behind a slower but more powerful car. I finally passed him on the second to last lap and had my one good lap of the weekend, which was some consolation but I was close to giving up on cup cars before the completion of my first race.
Old 03-14-2009 | 12:42 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

I'll be there.

Remember all you racers - this is the first race of the Zone 3 Club Race Challenge!!
Care to go into a description of what the Zone 3 Club Race Challenge is? Or did you mean this is the first race of the season for the new Zone 3 Rep?

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta PCA March 26-30 Roll Call