Name:  get-attachment.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  189.1 KB
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
1968 911L, built as C Production SCCA car in the day. At Kent, at the end of the front straight entering T-1, the left front spindle decided it had enough. I still don't remember the entire event, as I was knock unconscious at about the second endo. The car was done, but it was my first real race car.
Bob,

You have to post pics . . .
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
That'll get you removed from the will...
It did for a couple of years but time and more cars heels wounds.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

MikeIIII

I still shake my head when I recall looking at that heap. Good fortune was upon you that day
Old 02-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
more cars heels wounds.
But apparently doesn't help spelling.

Professional Racing and Driving Coaching
Do you want faster lap times?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Bob,

You have to post pics . . .
From 1968-1969.....I think there is some great Super 8 footage in a reel somewhere.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We definitely were being looked over that day. It will be a year this month coming up, we were on our way to 12 hours of sebring

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Black '70 Nova SS. Someone pulled out, hit me in the passenger side when I was doing 75mph on 441 near Apopka, FL. FUBAR. Sold the motor and used it as a down payment for next car. That started my SUV phase....
Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn one Nelson's Ledges 09/2003, totaled my 993RS Replica. Insurance ponied up though!
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 AM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wreck

In 1986 I had my first accident ever and wrecked my fathers brand new blue Ferrari Mondial Cab. My father was on a business trip at the time and the night he arrived home my mother took my brother & sister to a friends house while I explained what happened, I really thought he was going to kill me.
I will try to upload a photo of the car if I can find one or one of a similar car.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
But apparently doesn't help spelling.

Professional Racing and Driving Coaching
Do you want faster lap times?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JWERION
In 1986 I had my first accident ever and wrecked my fathers brand new blue Ferrari Mondial Cab. My father was on a business trip at the time and the night he arrived home my mother took my brother & sister to a friends house while I explained what happened, I really thought he was going to kill me.
I will try to upload a photo of the car if I can find one or one of a similar car.
I can totally picture my wife doing that if my son had done this to my car!!!
How did it end?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

While not exactly a crash, I had a 1963 Carrera2 burn to the ground, while driving it. After drivng around Europe for a few weeks, I had the engine rebuilt and had it shipped to the US. It was damaged in transit and it caught fire on the way to the body shop. The damage made the driver's door inoperable, so I had to bail out through the flames the were blowing past the passenger's door.

For those of you who don't know the car, here are some details:

1962 Porsche Carrera 2 (mine was a 63 European model with roller crank)
Acknowledging low American sales of its higher-end machines, Porsche offered only detrimmed Carrera GT coupes for 1960-61 with lightweight Reutter bodywork, simplified bumpers without guards, aluminum hubcaps, and a more Spartan interior. The 1960 models retained the 692/3 power unit. An evolution, the 692/3A model, arrived for ‘61 with larger main-bearing journals, stronger con rods, and redesigned cams with a total of six small flywheels to quell harmonic vibration in the valvetrain.

But sales continued to be disappointing, so the final roadgoing 356 Carreras bowed at the Frankfurt Show in late 1961 for the ‘62 model year. Based on the 1960 B-Series, they included a steel-bodied 1600 coupe with a 1,582-cc engine packing 90 horsepower at 5500 rpm; a lighter 1600GS with 115 horsepower at 6,500 rpm from 1,588cc; and a new 2000GS, also known as the Carrera 2. The last featured the new four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes, and all three had the latest body modifications except the bumper-guard exhaust outlets (the tips exited below the bumper, as before, but within a protective apron).

The Carrera 2’s most prominent selling point was its Type 587 engine. An expansion of the Type 547, it was decidedly oversquare at 92 × 74 mm - 1,966cc in all. Horsepower was 130 DIN European at 6,200 rpm (150 SAE), close to 1.3 horsepower per cubic inch. The torque curve was broad and flat, and peaked at an impressive 131 pounds/feet at 4,600 rpm. Reflecting lessons learned in the marketplace, the Carrera 2 had plain bearings rather than the roller type, and its top two gears had longer-striding ratios for lazy Americans. This alteration to gearing was not a major one but gave the U.S. Carrera 2 that fraction of extra power that made the difference between lugging and strong pull off the line. For this reason, not to mention the car’s innate civility, it proved the most popular Carrera yet.

Indeed, civility was the key. Hansjoerg Bendel lauded the “notable innovation” of a combination fresh-air intake and heater fan (via an optional gasoline heater), the comfortable Reutter seats, the quick shifter, and, above all, the unmistakable quality of a car built for the connoisseur. He also approved of the chassis: “The steering gave improved response with reduced vibration, the car seemed to stick better to the road and stay stuck during hard acceleration, and the disc brakes, added late to the Carrera 2 specification, were more than adequate.”

Acceleration, which Bendel termed “exhilarating,” was more than adequate, as well. He noted, “The clutch takes quite a bit of throttle without protest, and when one finds that it is time for 2nd gear, down comes the stick in a flick, more acceleration, and other cars pass by as if in reverse. High up in the speed range, this is it -- the effortless superiority of the true high-performance machine.”

Bendel complained that the Carrera was still too noisy -- and for a hefty $7,595, it probably was. Also, the engine had a “certain roughness well remembered from older Carreras.” Finally, and perhaps telling in 1962, was the near 20-year-old basic design: “Even the accustomed eye begins to notice some signs of age. The instrument panel, for example, is higher up than is usual nowadays, and visibility could only benefit from a lower waistline.” But he should have been more patient. The 911 was on its way.

But not before a short run of 356C-based Carrera 2s in 1963. Like the ‘62s, they were available with Porsche’s usual vast assortment of competition equipment: a larger fuel tank, a limited-slip differential, and special weight-saving body and chassis components -- virtually anything a would-be racer might want.
Bendel aptly summed up the Carrera 2 as “one of the most desirable GT cars” of its day, one to “delight the owner looking for a car of high quality and exceptional roadworthiness.” But like most good things, it was short-lived, built mainly to homologate the Type 587 engine for competition, initially in production-based cars and later in the factory’s more specialized racers such as the 2000GS/GT and the lovely 904.

But the ultimate 356s left their mark as the first of a grand roadgoing line that persists through the 911 Series to this day. Every indication is that that pedigree will be perpetuated well into the future.

Sorry for the crappy picture but that was all I could find online.

Here's a link to a video of the 1600 CC version of the engine, The Carrera 2s were 2.0L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44MZCMzwq1k

I think current value is somewhere north of $200K

Last edited by johntorg; 02-28-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Chevron B-17 F-3 (F-C) car at the Runoffs at Road Atlanta in 1971. I had started 36th and was in 3rd when I was pushed while lapping a car into "washboard" curbing, crushing the underpan of the car and sending me airborne, and to the hospital.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Turn one Nelson's Ledges 09/2003, totaled my 993RS Replica. Insurance ponied up though!
I too have had an agricultural execursion in turn 1 at NL, mine was not as serious as yours.
Phil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BEST CAR YOU EVER CRASHED?