Sponsored by:

US F1 Press Conference

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:03 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

Not a ton of info in the conference. There are still a lot of questions to be answered.
I am assuming some of the minor details like drivers and engine? EDIT...this statement needs one of these

They have a year to pull this together....

Last edited by DaveM993; 02-24-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Build a chassis, and they will come.

C.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
I am assuming some of the minor details like drivers and engine?

They have a year to pull this together....
Those would be a few of the big holes....
Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Who is supplying the $$$$$$$$ ?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
kfyork
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ray S
If you're a racing fan you need to get Speed. Additionally, don't forget who Peter Windsor's last employer was (hint - Speed Channel).

Not a ton of info in the conference. There are still a lot of questions to be answered.
Thanks but I don't define my racing fanaticism by whether or not I subscribe to a certain cable television channel.

I'm well aware of Mr. Windsor's employment at SPEEDtv.

Frankly, when they changed from Speedvision to SPEEDtv it was the beginning of the end in terms of legitimate motorsports coverage.

Back on topic, it seems that today's program offered no substantive information relative to USF1s plans I take it?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Who is supplying the $$$$$$$$ ?
Sir A. Wayne
Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kfyork
Thanks but I don't define my racing fanaticism by whether or not I subscribe to a certain cable television channel.

Frankly, when they changed from Speedvision to SPEEDtv it was the beginning of the end in terms of legitimate motorsports coverage.

Back on topic, it seems that today's program offered no substantive information relative to USF1s plans I take it?
Agreed do I ever miss speedvision.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately for them TV content is sooo poor accross the board that a business model of "Sucking less than Access Hollywood, the evening news, the average sitcom, reality TV, and the occasional game show" is enough to build a successful channel around.

I wish the NASCAR crowd realized how heavily they are marketed to and how there "sport" is not a sport at all but a revolutionary brainwashing technique.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

video highlights here

\http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...eo-highlights/
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
Agreed do I ever miss speedvision.
+1
Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kfyork

No disagreement that speedvision was a better (before it became NASCAR TV). However, now Speed is the only real choice that I'm aware of. Is there another choice that I'm missing?

You are correct the news conference provided no major new news about the US Team that has not already been discussed.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I'll be driving for USF1. The chassis is supplied through a joint venture with the big three, as well as the US Government. I just want to thank all the taxpayers for this opportunity!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 269 Posts

Yawn!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,431 Likes on 2,041 Posts

Dynamic approach from US
24 February 2009

The new USF1 team is open-minded towards choosing their engine manufacturer for their first F1 season, clearly indicating that they will be approaching all companies currently in F1 with regards to a possible engine deal for 2010.

Ken Anderson, team principal
"We are well aware of how big a market America is for the likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Toyota", commented team principal Ken Anderson, who also noted that perhaps the USA may not be quite so attractive for Renault although, with the connection with Nissan, a deal "could still make commercial sense for them."

Sporting director Peter Windsor continued: "We are a team, we have a budget and we are going to be spending that in the correct way - achieving goals when they need to be achieved.

In no particular order those goals are going to be drivers, engines, European location, building up our American location and sponsors. There are so many great things to be doing I just can't wait to get down to the local Starbucks and have more meetings; we are going to be that sort of team, doing it the way racing people do it."

First off, I didn't know racing people had meetings at Starbucks. I missed the memo.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I don't think this is ever going to get up off the ground. Peter Windsor's involvement gives some sort of legitimacy to it, but this all sounds very very fishy to me.

A. At a time where independent teams have been leaving the sport for years (ala Jordan, etc) and big time manufacturers are also bailing out (ala Honda), how the hell does an independent team based in the US get started?

B. Even when the world economy wasn't in this crisis, sponsors were hard to get. Imagine now. Who is going to sponsor this team, Bernie Madoff?

C. If they think Danica or Scott Speed is the answer, they're more interested in the 15 minute circus rather than being a serious race team.

Sorry I don't see this happening.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
First off, I didn't know racing people had meetings at Starbucks. I missed the memo.
Where have you been? PCA does all the rule changes over lattes and fresh frozen muffins.

Quick Reply: US F1 Press Conference