Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGB MOTORSPORTS CHOOSES SABBATICAL FROM GRAND-AM SERIES

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:03 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

This is really sad news... John is not just one of the nicest guys I have met in racing but also one of the best at running a race team (except when he almost throws up due to nerves before the race). And the other John, the owner, is also excellent at race strategy and making tough decisions with Teece. The entire team is top notch, they all work together as hard as possible and really care, but still know how to relax and have fun. I really enjoyed working with them. They made me feel welcome and part of the team, though as an amatuer driver I felt totally out of place, like I was sitting in on guitar with a band at Madison Square Garden.

Actually I was amazed at the whole Koni Challenge scene, all the drivers, officials, and crew seem to work together and enjoy what they are doing, much more than in SCCA or PCA racing where people seem overly serious even though Koni IS the one that's pro racing.

I spent some time with John at our Sebring PCA race, and I hope he can bring a car up to the Lime Rock Koni race as we have unfinished business. His team is so good that the car I co-drove was able to lead both races I ran last year but failed to win due to some bad luck. It helped to have the best co-drivers in the field, and those types of drivers (Guy Cosmo, Dirk Werner) love to work with BGB as they know they have a shot at winning.

I wish I could bankroll the team for the whole year but I need to eat and pay the bills so a few races a year is all I can do. And I have no skill, time, or resources to find sponsors. But I'm sure BGB will rise again once the economy gets straightened out.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:06 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I'd like to first say thanks for all of the great wishes we've gotten thus far. It's actually making it even harder to know that we had this many followers. We're very fortunate.

I need to address something though that's discussed above. Due to the fact that we've existed solely for Grand-Am competition and because of the fact that we're on the road 12 weekends per year at least with the races, we’ve had a hard time trying to start the non-Grand-Am side of the business. Sometimes the transporter is gone for over a month at a time and it's for this fact that we've never had many...or any club customers. We just haven't been able to find a way to successfully be in two places at once. In addition, our location isn't what i would call "lush with Porsche cars." We're in a small beach town next to Daytona with very few Porsche owners. If BGB had recurring retail customers or club customers storing their cars in our shop, we would certainly have been able to keep employees. We've tried to make all of this work and we're finally getting exposure and maybe a little interest, but it's not enough to weather the storm.

I thank you all again for your kind words and to my man Bill Sisco for being our #1 fan and posting this information. Best of luck racing this year and take care.

John Tecce
BGB Motorsports
http://www.BGBMotorsports.com
What are you planning to do with the cars?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

John I sure will just let me know what I need to do.
Mike
Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Mike,

Will you sign that quote in a letter I'm writing to Porsche? That's awesome! I've always felt that there were true 997 fans that supported our cars because they know that while the Cup car is Porsche's flagship, purpose-built production race car, it's not like taking the actual street car that you drove home from the lot and going racing with it.

Quick Reply: BGB MOTORSPORTS CHOOSES SABBATICAL FROM GRAND-AM SERIES