Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolts for Recaro Pole Positions side mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bolts for Recaro Pole Positions side mounts?

I bought used Recaro Pole Positions. The bolts supplied to attach them to the side mounts are short dome-heads w/5mm hex hole. Black, no specs on them. I don't know if they are OE w/Recaro or something the previous owner stuck in there.

They seem pretty whimpy.

Any one know the specs on bolt size? Should I get hex-head and washers?
(8.8 or better hardness I assume).

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I bought used Recaro Pole Positions. The bolts supplied to attach them to the side mounts are short dome-heads w/5mm hex hole. Black, no specs on them. I don't know if they are OE w/Recaro or something the previous owner stuck in there.

They seem pretty whimpy.

Any one know the specs on bolt size? Should I get hex-head and washers?
(8.8 or better hardness I assume).

Thanks.
I used M8-1.25 x20 grade 10.9 Button head bolts/washers/nuts x8 for the rear side mount to slider connection. The button heads are needed to provide clearance between the seat bulb and the side mounts

the others aren't so critical wrt to clearances so any M8-1.25 x20 grade 8.8 or better will do

Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

Shannon,

The hardware I received with the mounts for my old Pole Positions, and my new Profil XLs, included black, cap-head bolts (one set was 6mm drive, the other 8mm). The 8mm set were marked 8.8. The dome head (pan head) bolts are for mounting the rails/brackets to the chassis, as Bill pointed out.

Without seeing a pic., I would venture to say you should probably contact a reputable supplier and get some new hardware. Recaro supplies a hardware bag that has both sets of bolts and washers, and although I haven't tried to buy it separately, I would imagine it is readily available, and not expensive.

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveConn
Shannon,

The hardware I received with the mounts for my old Pole Positions, and my new Profil XLs, included black, cap-head bolts (one set was 6mm drive, the other 8mm). The 8mm set were marked 8.8. The dome head (pan head) bolts are for mounting the rails/brackets to the chassis, as Bill pointed out.

Without seeing a pic., I would venture to say you should probably contact a reputable supplier and get some new hardware. Recaro supplies a hardware bag that has both sets of bolts and washers, and although I haven't tried to buy it separately, I would imagine it is readily available, and not expensive.

Regards,

Dave
That's true, M6 are supplied w/ the sidmounts and only 1 at each corner(4/seat), JMO but they are inadaquate in size and #.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 AM
DaveConn
Instructor

Bill,

I agree. I'm surprised that I received two different sets of hardware, but the M8s seem like the way to go.

Take care,

Dave
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
That's true, M6 are supplied w/ the sidmounts and only 1 at each corner(4/seat), JMO but they are inadaquate in size and #.
I was wondering about the number also. Seems crazy I'm using as many bolts of the hardest rating I can to secure the rails to the car. Then I have 4 tiny bolts holding the seats on.

Do most people drill additional holes in the seats to secure them?
I can hardly stand the thought of those 4 small bolts determining if I live or die in a crash.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911vet
I was wondering about the number also. Seems crazy I'm using as many bolts of the hardest rating I can to secure the rails to the car. Then I have 4 tiny bolts holding the seats on.

Do most people drill additional holes in the seats to secure them?
I can hardly stand the thought of those 4 small bolts determining if I live or die in a crash.
I don't know about most, but I will have 4xM8s holding each rail to the chassis and
5x M8s holding each sidemount to its rail. All 10.9
Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to use flange bolts, especially for the side mounting holes. It makes it easier to get a wrench down to re-tighten them vs Allen head bolts. And they do loosen over time.

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: bolts for Recaro Pole Positions side mounts?