Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default R3 questions

Hi

A few quick questions....

Started to DE last year and love it. Plan to continue and have been thinking that an R3 is probably a wise investment. Thinking this route as I do not plan to turn the car into a track car...at least in the near future...so no cage or harnesses....

Would like to know:

a) any ups/downs?

b) anything I should know before ordering (size, fit, options, etc)

c) if you have one, where did you buy it ?

thanks in advance !!

best

Joe
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
Hi

A few quick questions....

Started to DE last year and love it. Plan to continue and have been thinking that an R3 is probably a wise investment. Thinking this route as I do not plan to turn the car into a track car...at least in the near future...so no cage or harnesses....

Would like to know:

a) any ups/downs?

b) anything I should know before ordering (size, fit, options, etc)

c) if you have one, where did you buy it ?

thanks in advance !!

best

Joe
a) Ups--an option as you realize, that is not dependant on belts so it can be run without harness, according to Safety Solutions. Downs-- Some people don't like how the 'pad' that goes behind the driver changes the driving position. With fixed back seats some people end up changing the mount.

b) Be sure to measure the chest size when you are wearing what you will normally wear when driving.

c) I can get them
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
a) Ups--an option as you realize, that is not dependant on belts so it can be run without harness, according to Safety Solutions. Downs-- Some people don't like how the 'pad' that goes behind the driver changes the driving position. With fixed back seats some people end up changing the mount.

b) Be sure to measure the chest size when you are wearing what you will normally wear when driving.

c) I can get them
I'm using R3 for several years now.
If the padding (trimming) was properly done, you will not feel it, or at least will get use to it quick.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lipamax
I'm using R3 for several years now.
If the padding (trimming) was properly done, you will not feel it, or at least will get use to it quick.
It's not a feel it thing, it's that it pushes the back forward ever so slightly. I know a few people who have mentioned that they didn't like how it changed the angle of the seating position. Not many, but a couple. The more I think back it's people who had been in the same car for a long time and noticed a little change like that.

Primadonna drivers and such.

I've only worn one in a non-moving car and didn't really notice the back pad.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

We've had some DE instructors purchase the R3 since they also instruct and jump from car to car. Obviously, newer DE students most likely will not have racing seats or harnesses in the car but the standard 3-point seatbelt.

It does help to try them on if you are near a dealer that stocks them. We've had customers review the size chart only to realize they need a different size. However, you do want to wear it as snug as possible around the chest area (kind of like a helmet - if it fits snug, it should be the right size).

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Con: No one knows how well it works. The manufacturer doesn't release test results for technical publication.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

It's not a feel it thing, it's that it pushes the back forward ever so slightly. I know a few people who have mentioned that they didn't like how it changed the angle of the seating position. Not many, but a couple. The more I think back it's people who had been in the same car for a long time and noticed a little change like that.

I have been using one for several years now.

I didn't feel it much when I had reclining (soft) recaros. (steet seats)

but when I put in a real race seat, (last yr) I did notice the difference as it was pushing me more fwd in the seat.

-you'll also notice the restricted head movement. but, not a big deal once you use your mirrors exclusively.

& backing into your pit is a little tricky...
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got use to it so quick, so I don't even know it's back there.

Originally Posted by gbaker
Con: No one knows how well it works. The manufacturer doesn't release test results for technical publication.

Unfortunately I had a chance to test it and it WORKS! At least did for me when I hit the wall hard after T-boned contact w/another car.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
opus
Instructor

Originally Posted by lipamax
Unfortunately I had a chance to test it and it WORKS! At least did for me when I hit the wall hard after T-boned contact w/another car.
Were you using 5- or 6-point harness or using stock 3-point belt?

I am re-opening up this subject, as I would like to get a H&R device. But, I only got stock seats. As of now, R3 is really the only choice for me. Defnder will be coming out with an adapter for use in 3-point belts, but there is no estimated date when it will be available.

So, R3 question.... How well will it work on stock 3-point belts with airbag? How much protection will I get from side/offset/rear impact?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by opus
So, R3 question.... How well will it work on stock 3-point belts with airbag? How much protection will I get from side/offset/rear impact?
If the manufacturer doesn't release this sort of testing information, I doubt anyone around here has access to it.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
I have been using one for several years now.

I didn't feel it much when I had reclining (soft) recaros. (steet seats)

but when I put in a real race seat, (last yr) I did notice the difference as it was pushing me more fwd in the seat.

-you'll also notice the restricted head movement. but, not a big deal once you use your mirrors exclusively.

& backing into your pit is a little tricky...
I agree with this. I never notice any discomfort, even without using the pad, in stock seats. However, in a racing seat I definitely notice. The pad helps a lot, though, and while the driving position was a little different, I quickly got used to it.

And backing up is indeed tricky!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Safety Solutions shows some testing graphs in their catalog but they are in comparison to other competing manufacturers. They do not compare with a 5- or 6-point harness versus a stock 3 point belt with an airbag.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
brucegre
Banned

Originally Posted by gbaker
I know how well it works, and that's really well. I know you can't prove dick empiricaly, but the fact that it's SFI approved and saved my neck in a bad crash bode well for its efficacy in similar situations.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:04 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Minor funny thing about my r3

I find it more comfortable in my car without the back pad. Guess I fell in the prima donna category--but I digress.

The cover on my pole position seats pulls tightly in a couple spots where there is no padding underneath, near my shoulder blades. There are little wings on the back of the r3 at that same location, and they ripped the seat cover just a bit on both sides. Not the end of the world to repair the cloth on a race seat, but FYI.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:01 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been using it for about 4 years. I have the GT3 seat in my Carrera S with a harness bar and 5 pt belts. I ordered the fabric seat. In this seat (not sure about the leather one) the middle section comes out as it's only velcro'd in. The pad fits very well in that section so I don't feel it at all and I am about as far forward as I would be with the pad in. BTW - It's a daily driver and the GT3 seat is great everyday.

Quick Reply: R3 questions