Spec series & tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:17 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
There's another aspect to tire performance that hasn't been raised yet.

You can have a tire which holds acceptable performance over 3,820 heat cycles and only costs $100/corner, and it can still wind up defeating the purpose of a 'spec tire' IF...

The first heat cycle is 3% better than heat cycles 2 through 3,820.

Everybody winds up slapping stickers on for every qualifying session, and sticker tires for every race. If you want to run up front.

So a tire that costs 50% or 100% more per corner, only lasts 1,000 heat cycles, BUT doesn't have that magic 'first heat cycle' performance, winds up being MUCH cheaper because there's no incentive to run stickers every time out.

At least in the past, that's what's killed Hoosier's viability for a cost-controlled spec series. And why Toyo is so popular. I don't know if Hoosier's latest gen tire is less susceptible to this issue.
Great post Robert. It seems to me that this expresses exactly the issue that needs to be addressed in choosing a tire for a spec series.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Are you talking about the cost being higher on purchase, or because of longevity?
Both. The 255 tire is actually priced lower than the 225 AND it lasts longer.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
The GREAT thing about the toyos, is that there is not that much difference between a new toyo and a corded one. with hoosiers, there can be 2-4 seconds if it is cooked well enough. For a spec series, its important to remove as many variables as possible to make it fair for all budgets.
Toyos make a spec series work for those reasons..
mk
Exactly.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

There's another aspect to tire performance that hasn't been raised yet.

You can have a tire which holds acceptable performance over 3,820 heat cycles and only costs $100/corner, and it can still wind up defeating the purpose of a 'spec tire' IF...

The first heat cycle is 3% better than heat cycles 2 through 3,820.

Everybody winds up slapping stickers on for every qualifying session, and sticker tires for every race. If you want to run up front.

So a tire that costs 50% or 100% more per corner, only lasts 1,000 heat cycles, BUT doesn't have that magic 'first heat cycle' performance, winds up being MUCH cheaper because there's no incentive to run stickers every time out.

At least in the past, that's what's killed Hoosier's viability for a cost-controlled spec series. And why Toyo is so popular. I don't know if Hoosier's latest gen tire is less susceptible to this issue.
That's kind of where I was going with my question.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That's kind of where I was going with my question.
That's okay; the more I can provoke you into posting follow ups, the more I get to look at your avatar.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

That's okay; the more I can provoke you into posting follow ups, the more I get to look at your avatar.
HA!

<<<<<<<<<----------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Better hope the mods don't use Freudian psychodynamic analysis to explain just how SUGGESTIVE that smokin' hot babe is
Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

A mod already told me it was OK.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wheh! Hopefully she sticks around for a while
Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

944 spec went to a spec tire back Jan 2003. The reason was to level the playing field and to limit costs. The RA-1 was the perfect spec tire.

The reason the RA-1 was so good was a number of things.

1) Initial cost - Cost per tire was reasonable. Not the cheapest, but not $200 each either.

2) Long life - The tire would last forever before cording. It was also a tire that at 25 heat cycles could still cut some very very fast laps. So if the active life was 25+ heat cycles the per day or per session cost was very reasonable.

3) Equal performance- The tire is very consistant over is life. In fact new tires in our class were less desireable than old ones. So no body want to slap on stickers to win. We just ran old stuff. I know some guys would dumpster drive old RA-1's and still win on them.

4) Rain option. Due to the tread design they worked great as rains. Also shaving or not once past 4-5 heat cycles they were all the same so this mean you could buy full tread and wait for rain. If it never came or happen 1 session you could just put those tires in the normal dry rotation. So you never had to worry about a dedicated rain tire getting old.

5) Toyo contingency takes the edge off the prices.

6) The tire is just plain durable. You could beat the stuffing out of it on track and never seem to hurt it. This is ideal for newer drivers. Heck put some minor flat spots on the fronts and move them to the rear and keep going.

Now due to Toyo's position on the RA-1 vs R888 we have shifted to the R888 for 2008 and 2009. There is much talk about the RA-1 vs R888. Bottomline is for now we are and R888 class. Some of the issues are people expecting identical performance as they got with the RA-1. It won't happen like that.

Really the biggsst issue I have with any spec tire is life and useful life at that. Right now I can't say where we are at on the R888's.

Now for any class to have a spec tire one of the major concern is sizes. The best way to work this is to have limited sizes in the class. 944 spec allows only the 225/50 R15 tire. However if you allow any size then a spec tire becomes hard since that tire may not be offered in all the sizes desired by the racers. For this reason alone many classes just can't go with a spec tire.

Oh one other benefit of a spec tire...
No testing! So when the next "new best tire" comes out nobody needs to test anything. They are all on the same tire anyway. If you are speced on Toyo's and Hoosirer comes out with something better... so what. same for any othe mfg. Of course when you spec tire mfg changes something it can cause a lot of complaining with folks tring to learn something new like we are now.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Actually, there are others that are higher up the cost tree, like the MPSCs. In 285/30 X 18, the Hoosier R6s are $320, the MPSCs are $328.
But the MPSC's will last twice as long, right?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
But the MPSC's will last twice as long, right?
That was true before the R6s showed up. That has not been my experience with the R6s.

I was never able to cord a set of MPSCs with my heavy (3200) car I ran them on, but they heat cycled out to Flintstone tires and had to be replaced. I run the R6s on lighter cars (2600 and 2850lbs) and while they drop off a little after the first 2 - 3 days (Red group DEs), they then are still very good for many heat cycles until they too become Flintstones. YMMV.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true with the new ones also.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
The GREAT thing about the toyos, is that there is not that much difference between a new toyo and a corded one. with hoosiers, there can be 2-4 seconds if it is cooked well enough. For a spec series, its important to remove as many variables as possible to make it fair for all budgets.
Toyos make a spec series work for those reasons..
mk
I agree with you 100%. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, the way the Toyo's work. But the good thing about a Spec series is that we all have to deal with it. It's like a marriage, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, yadda yadda yadda.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

A few of the points that have been touched upon above and one's that I would agree with are:

Manufacture involvement in the series -- contingency program

Performance delta between stickers and corded -- a good spec tire shouldnt perform much different at either end of its life

Cost -- while racing is expensive, and a tires may not be the largest expense, they need to be reasonably priced

Quick Reply: Spec series & tires