Sponsored by:

Pinata vs SBox

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Looking thru the BSR 09 rules it looks like rear toe links are a no-no and deep sump pan is also no longer recommended. Tires may be going to 245 square as well?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
SRF is great, although production cars offer some collapse area around you should anything ever happen, and since we all must go to work on Monday ....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ir+crash&hl=en

Worrying about crash protection is not a valid reason not to go SRF racing, those things are built like tanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Looking thru the BSR 09 rules it looks like rear toe links are a no-no and deep sump pan is also no longer recommended. Tires may be going to 245 square as well?
Correct on the first two points. Tires are going to 255 square. PCA is already approved for the change as a 'test case'. As long as we all show up with the square set-up we are legal, if someone shows up with 225 on front we all have to run 225.

The reason for the change was tire wear. Many of us were chewing up front tires very quickly, fighting off the push. With more grip we have less scrub and less wear, plus we can rotate to keep everything even. As an added bonus there is no need to carry a full set of spares. I plan on bringing just a mounted left and right spare, so I will carry 2 extra wheels/tires instead of 4.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Tires will be 255 all the way around for 2009. This has proven to resolve the understeer that so many of us had. Not to mention the 255's are cheaper than the 225's.
I have raced a Spec Miata and I am now racing a Spec Boxster and I can tell you that the Boxster is a LOT more fun. The field is growing, especially in Texas, and while I don't think that we'll ever match the fields of Spec Miata we should see 12-14 cars running in Texas this year. Another thing to consider would be the "talent" of the guys around you. SM is a little crazy. I got hit 2 times in SM and ran off the track by a much slower driver. I'm not saying everyone in SPBOX is perfect but the ones I know are a lot more respectful for their own equipment and yours.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

SRF is great, although production cars offer some collapse area around you should anything ever happen, and since we all must go to work on Monday ....
Ever seen an SRF with the bodywork removed ? You've got a LOT of crush around you in an SRF, all the way around. . Even with big-*** NASCAR doorbars in my production-based race fleet, they don't have anywhere the driver's side crush room that my SRF has.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Ever seen an SRF with the bodywork removed ? You've got a LOT of crush around you in an SRF, all the way around. . Even with big-*** NASCAR doorbars in my production-based race fleet, they don't have anywhere the driver's side crush room that my SRF has.
And I think that SRF holds the record for most race miles with no fatalities. Very few injuries in a class that has logged somewhere between 2-3 million competition miles. Good thing since some folks (like the perfesser) confuse their competition license with a pilot's license.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

The in-flight meals are skimpy, and the landings SUCK.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miata is definitely the cheapest to purchase and operate. Cheaper than a boxster by a long shot and it has to be even cheaper than spec 944 to operate. Compare prices on wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, engine rebuilds, replacement transmissions. Miata rotors are $25-$35 each and last a long time since you rarely use them! So if cost is the main factor, miata is clearly the choice. But for me personally, I think it would be more fun racing PCA than SCCA or NASA just because of the more common incidents of body contact in spec miata. But that is just me.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
The in-flight meals are skimpy, and the landings SUCK.
That made me laugh. I imagine there's a good story behind this. I have a couple of buddies racing their SRF in the Winterfest Enduro that is going on right now at Sebring. I'll let you know how they do.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Meh....I think SRF's are very sturdy and safe.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Miata is definitely the cheapest to purchase and operate. Cheaper than a boxster by a long shot and it has to be even cheaper than spec 944 to operate. Compare prices on wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, engine rebuilds, replacement transmissions. Miata rotors are $25-$35 each and last a long time since you rarely use them! ...
On the surface that is the case that you would expect a miata to cost less than a 944. However in practice that not the case. I have seen spec miata guys turn away from that class to 944 spec due to the cost spiral in the miata ranks.

Repairs from crash damage and the desire of pro-built motors, etc has driven the costs up to have a front running car. 944 spec is not like that and one goal of the class is prevent bad things that occured in SM to happen in 944 spec.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
On the surface that is the case that you would expect a miata to cost less than a 944. However in practice that not the case. I have seen spec miata guys turn away from that class to 944 spec due to the cost spiral in the miata ranks.

Repairs from crash damage and the desire of pro-built motors, etc has driven the costs up to have a front running car. 944 spec is not like that and one goal of the class is prevent bad things that occured in SM to happen in 944 spec.
Every highly subscribed "spec" class will have a cost creep that has been seen in SM.

944 Spec just hasn't had enough people show up that are willing to spend 4000 dollars for 5 horsepower.

Ask ltc about the guys who run in the spec kart classes who buy 20 motors to find an extra .5hp and dump the 15-17 engines that are only average cost.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ir+crash&hl=en

Worrying about crash protection is not a valid reason not to go SRF racing, those things are built like tanks.
That was my point, think about it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Meh....I think SRF's are very sturdy and safe.
Thats your best avatar so far!

Does it make the me gay that I even noticed the rifle?

Anyway EDM Windrunner .50 (or .408 can't tell), very nice gun.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Create Engine for Miata = $2200 .
There's a huge Spec Miata contingent out her in Lala land that run with both SCCA and NASA. The motors they run out here cost anywhere from $5,000 to $25k. A crate motor would put you at the back of the field....

I just looked at SCCA fastest laps at Wllow Springs a few months back . The fastest SM lap was a high 1:37, the field was 1:38's -1:40's.

The Spec Boxster's were there a few weeks later. The fastest lap was a 1:31:7 with the field in the 1:33's-1:35's. For 2009 the Spec Box's get to lose another 50 lbs. and run the bigger front tires which should account for at least another second...

The Miatas are great racing platforms supported by Mazda at the tracks.
I've practiced against them many times at Buttonwillow, SCCA's home track, and they're not anywhere near as quick as a Spec Box...

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 01-15-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Pinata vs SBox