Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using R3 (as opposed to HANS)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008 | 02:35 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I'm also trying to decide among a HANS, R3, and Isaac. Looking at pics of the R3, I wondered if it was possible to make the chest strap tight enough to prevent the "tail" of it from levering out away from the back? Or is the theory that it will be up against the seat and therefore held in place?

I like the idea that it doesn't rely on the car's harness system (like HANS and Isaac do). But it seemed like it might allow too much forward head snap?
Old 12-28-2008 | 10:13 PM
MDL
Racer

MDL, I take it from that you mean there isn't much sideways/turning movement like you can get with the sliding/tethers HANS now offers?

Yes, but the solution would be to hook it up on the grid like JerryW does, which I am going to practice. I usually hook the R3 to my helmet and put them both on at once.
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:44 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Another fan of the R3. Had mine for a couple of years and like it. I've never tested it, so to speak, so can't speak to its effectiveness, but comfort isn't an issue. As noted previously, I disconnect the tethers just before getting back to the paddock so vision in the paddock area isn't an issue. I think it's great for instructing, particularly when moving car to car or sitting in a car with a 3 point belt.
Old 12-29-2008 | 01:14 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

You need the tethers disconnected for backing up and seeing in the paddock in tight quarters. Then the tethers are somewhat tedious to connect while sitting on the grid. Other than that, I have no complaints.
Old 12-30-2008 | 12:05 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone using R3 (as opposed to HANS)

Originally Posted by Terry L
As an R3 owner, I actually would like to ask Lipamax how he knows that it works. He said we could ask...
I had a chance to test it a few times. One crash was a harsh multiple impacts which ended in the concrete wall. I walked away... Watched crash video many times and in rear view mirror saw my head movements (specially in slow motion). I can tell you it works.
I hope it helps.
Old 12-31-2008 | 11:08 AM
boss351
Instructor

Anyone able to comment on the R3 vs R3 Rage (cheaper version)?

Do the tether posts mount to same HANS pre-drilled helmet holes?

Happy and Safe New Year to All..
Old 12-31-2008 | 11:26 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Default R3 VS Hans

Originally Posted by boss351
Anyone able to comment on the R3 vs R3 Rage (cheaper version)?

Do the tether posts mount to same HANS pre-drilled helmet holes?

Happy and Safe New Year to All..
Cannot comment on R3 VS R3 Rage, but can compare R3 VS Hans. I have used both and the Hans is much more comfortable for racing and DE. Mobility of the neck left to right, up/down is slightly better and you need only loosen your upper straps while in the paddock/pits to gain alot of movement. If you have a complete restraint system, I would opt for the Hans.
Old 01-01-2009 | 09:54 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

What "angle" R3 are you guys using? 65-80 or 75-90? thanks
Old 04-30-2010 | 12:20 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Just to update this thread. The R3 has "Sliding tethers" available now. I just ordered a set for like $30. You can retrofit them to your R3. There are different tethers depending on if you have the Carbon Fiber or Rage model.
I plan on using them in a week at a Lemon race. I'll report back.
Old 04-30-2010 | 12:51 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Plavan
Just to update this thread. The R3 has "Sliding tethers" available now. I just ordered a set for like $30. You can retrofit them to your R3. There are different tethers depending on if you have the Carbon Fiber or Rage model.
I plan on using them in a week at a Lemon race. I'll report back.
Where did you order them? I'm waiting on a response from OGRacing (!!!) and would prefer to get them there, but can't wait forever.

I just used the R3. I chose it b/c I got a great deal. I do wonder if the chest strap can be tight enough to stop the "tail" from levering out and allowing head motion. But if folks say it works then great. I can confirm that without sliding tethers, it's hard to get around the paddock.

The back "hump" is surprisingly irrelevant. I don't even use the U-shaped pad that comes with it.
Old 04-30-2010 | 01:47 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

I just called Safety Solutions to order it. No one I called had it in stock. I called yesterday and it is shipping out today.

I have used both the Hans and the R3- I prefer the R3's comfort and have been using it since it originally came out. The Hans just feels weird on my neck with the belts. Plus, I did not want to hassle with changing my belts to work with the Hans. I was considering getting a Hans this year because of the sliding tethers, but found out they had that kit for the R3 now (its been out a year almost!)
I do not use the pad either. I have a Recaro SPG halo seat and I do not even notice the R3's back portion.

Don't worry about the lever action because you are strapped to your seat, and the R3 is strapped to you.
Old 04-30-2010 | 01:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Apex has a PCA 10% discount on the R3.

I just drive a stock car with 3 point belts and I instruct and am thinking the R3 would be perfect for me...thoughts...opinions?????
Old 04-30-2010 | 02:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^^I know it's no help, but I was thinking the same thing for instructing. I have harnesses, but lots of students don't and a stock 997 is plenty fast enough for a bad off.
Old 04-30-2010 | 03:27 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

I use the R3. I am very happy with the fit and comfort. One modification I made was to use HANS post on my helmet with the HANS quick release loops. The R3 come with the same basic quick release tether as the HANS so it is very easy mod.
I saw several Top fuel/Funny car drivers with the R3 using the Hans quick release. If guys that go 300 mph trust it I figure I can.

This is from Pegasus racing website.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/R3-faq.asp

My helmet has HANS anchors installed. Can I use the same helmet attachment points?
If the previous hardware installation was done accurately, the R3 can use the same holes. We recommend that you check the hole location per the R3 installation instructions to make sure they are correctly located. We have seen some helmets with improperly located attachment points. If that is the case with your helmet, you may have to drill two new holes. Helmet manufacturers generally don't recommend leaving the old, unused attachment hardware in place. If you need to cover any old, unused holes in your helmet, a couple of strategically placed decals may be your best solution (or you could call them small, custom ventilation holes). Note: While it is technically feasible to use the the R3 with HANS quick release fasteners, the manufacturers of the R3 do not recommend this. If you decide to use the HANS quick release fasteners with the R3, you must make sure to adjust the helmet attachment straps to the correct length.
Old 04-30-2010 | 04:18 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

I use R3 in my car, but I have never used it in a car with 3 pt belt. I am not sure that I would buy it for that reason, as I think that is made to be used with harness. I have also Hans quick release posts on my helmet, as attaching the straps in the car was hard.

911Vet, What keeps the tail from raising are the shoulder straps of the harness.

Quick Reply: Anyone using R3 (as opposed to HANS)?