Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Generator for enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for all the input. It looks like I'll have to start saving my pennies for the Honda (and a good devorce lawyer).
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got one of those loud, cheap and heavy ones. Would power all you have and alot more, but as someone mentioned, you would not be very popular in the paddock during the time it was on. Plus, it stays in the garage when I go to track events. Powers the sump pump, frig and freezer as well as a bunch of lights, should there be a power outage. Don't think the wife would be too happy to see it gone if she were to need it.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
...(and a good devorce lawyer).
No, you're looking at it wrong.

Step 1. Buy a small manual transfer switch, simple DIY install, since it is pre-wired, comes with everything you need in one box (kit)....I've done quite a few for folks.
http://www.gen-tran.com/eshop/10Brow...?Category=VPTS

Step 2. Buy the Honda (inverter series) generator, demonstrate how easy it is to start, how quiet it is, how it was purchased to help keep the house safe and secure in the event of power loss.

Step 3. Hope you're not at the track with the generator when your wife calls and says she lost electricity.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the Honda generators are very popular (for good reason), I opted for a Cummins/Onan P4300 for my trailer. I wanted a bit more power capacity to run the heater/AC and electrical systems (most notably a coffee pot). The Onan is a little more noisy than the Honda but not much. I've had it a year and am very happy with it. Folks that park next to me appreciate that it is quiet.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 5000 watt Onan (with 8 gallon extended run fuel tank....house essential circuit backup), which along with the Honda eu2000i (karting generator) were recently brought up to NH for my wife's family use. I did a quick manual transfer switch install, kept everything going after the ice storm.
Onan/Cummins make a good generator, very popular for trailer/RV installs.

So, now I get to buy a new one for me

So far, the best (non-Ebay) prices on Honda EU series seems to be Northern Tool.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Toby-
Slightly OT.
We have installed many back up generator systems in the homes we build here in VA due to ice storms etc and while the one you mention will work it has a couple of drawbacks...
First that sucker is quite heavy to tote around in your trailer and as others have mentioned it is quite loud. We have one similar to that that we use in construction when power is not available (i.e. in a new S/D for example).
Secondly when it comes to your providing power to your home for any length of time it would be beneficial to spend the money and get a stand alone home generator like this:
http://www.generac.com/Products/Resi...AirCooled.aspx
professionally installed in your home. The main benefit of this system is that it's automatic and can run off gas (propane) for days. My clients like it becuase if the husband is out of town for example this will come on automatically... Good piece of mind.
Now back to trailers etc.
Eddie,

Thanks for the feedback on loudness of the unit. Don't want to be a noise-maker in the paddock.

That said, if you have the weight-carrying capacity, and want to have double-duty at the track or at home, one of these Generac units seems to be the ticket. I would concur with the permanently fixed unit you noted if you were to install a dedicated gen-set. I was just looking for the "best" of all worlds.

If I could find a Honda that put out even 6500 watts for the price of the Generac, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm very happy with my 2 EU2000i units.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 826 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
If I could find a Honda that put out even 6500 watts for the price of the Generac, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm very happy with my 2 EU2000i units.
You can get a Honda EU6500 that has basically the same decibel rating as your EU2000s. The 6500 lists for $3999.

Honda EU6500
Old 12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Another vote for the Honda. Reliable, clean power and low noise which will make you a better neighbor in the paddock.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I also have a honda 2000i, it runs a single 5000 btu a/c in economy mode, (start in regular mode), run time ~4hrs and a small woman can pull start it! -most of the larger units need a starter and battery or strong arms.
my experience w/ small 12v batteries (alarm size) is not so good either... grrr!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

You might want to check out Yamaha generators as well. I have a Yamaha
EF2400is. It puts out more power than the Honda EU2000i. 2400 watts vs. 2000 watts. It is very quiet and has been reliable.
I had to get it --it matches my car
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....0iS/p1207.html

Quick Reply: Generator for enclosed trailer