Wanting to mod my Boxster for the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Wanting to mod my Boxster for the track

Looks like I may be getting back into some tracking. Wifey green lighted an event this weekend at the former Moroso. I'm way excited.

Anyhow, I have the opportunity to buy some GT3 seats. In discussing this with one of the Porsche dealer mechanics, I found that apparently it isn't possible to switch the factory seats for the GT3 seats and maintain airbag funtionality. Since I don't have plans to make this a track only car at this time, I don't want to inactivate the airbags. However, I'd love to have better seats.

Does anyone have any info on this in terms of verifying or refuting my mechanic's opinion?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Since I don't have plans to make this a track only car at this time
Famous last words....
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark if you are not going to put in a harness bar where you can use 5 or 6 point harness I am not sure I would do it. If you put in the GT3 euro seats you will lose the thorax bag in the seat, you will still have the front bag but I think the seat has the thorax bag in your car, I know it does in mine. You might try the Boxster forum for specifics.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Famous last words....
Well I didn't yet sell the trailer......
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Mark if you are not going to put in a harness bar where you can use 5 or 6 point harness I am not sure I would do it. If you put in the GT3 euro seats you will lose the thorax bag in the seat, you will still have the front bag but I think the seat has the thorax bag in your car, I know it does in mine. You might try the Boxster forum for specifics.
If I get the green light for resuming the DE hobby, I want to use the 6 pt harness, so the harness bar is on the list of mods. I don't care so much about the thorax bag as long as I keep the main bag.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:19 PM
easyC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From my understanding and assumptions I believe you do retain the steering wheel and passenger FRONT airbag functionality... as long you keep the key out of the car while the seat belt seat belt isn't wired, but even then you can just have the light turned off by a PST2... I say assumption because I have yet to test my 01 boxster's airbags with the GT3 seats installed
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark
I know a mildly prepped car sitting in the service bay right now, some discussion about a 3.8 install.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mildly prepped? Kind of like calling an RSR sort of a race car? LOL

Dang, a 3.8 in that car and you'll finally have your mini-GT3!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by easyC
From my understanding and assumptions I believe you do retain the steering wheel and passenger FRONT airbag functionality... as long you keep the key out of the car while the seat belt seat belt isn't wired, but even then you can just have the light turned off by a PST2... I say assumption because I have yet to test my 01 boxster's airbags with the GT3 seats installed
+1

When I had the GT3 seats in installed in my 996, the installer forgot to remove the key while disconnecting/reconnencting the plugs underneath the seat and my airbag failure light was activiated. One trip to the dealer and the fault code was reset. The dealer verified that my aribags were fully functional and would work in the event of a collision. I took his word for it and never attempted to verify the accuracy of the dealer's claim.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I don't care so much about the thorax bag as long as I keep the main bag.
Are you referring to the bag that's built into the seats of the 997's? If so, the 996's didn't have those and I'm 99.99999% sure the 986's didn't have them either.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're probably right. I was just going on TODINLAW's info and it sounds like his car and mine are not the same. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/hom...?location=home

You can probably get some good info here
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be fine and still have the front airbags. (I am not a P tech and did not sleep at a holiday inn last night so don't sue me if I am wrong). We switched them out in my dads C4s and have not had any lights or probelms..ofcourse we have not wrecked it yet either....

I would try and get you to build a spec boxster but since you have an 02 S it won't work. but you are welcome to come check out www.boxsterspec.com also
Old 12-12-2008, 11:48 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I'd just like to make a suggestion. We had a Boxster - it rolled over and died no Turn 9. My husband was able to walk away without any harm done to him. The only thing we did to make our daily driver a little more fun for the track, was put in 6 point harnesses. BTW - that saved him - it kept him in an upside position for the few minutes it took to put the car back right. Just sharing - love those 6 pt harnesses....
Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yup, after seeing how the 6 point harness saved my bacon at Sebring, I'm a believer. If the Missus is ok with me continuing down the DE road, I'll definitely do as you suggest. BTW, I'm a tall guy and I recall reading about a removable extender for the roll over bars? Can someone give me a link? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Wanting to mod my Boxster for the track