Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent help needed fuel starvation(?) in right hand corners - racing again tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess, I'll also pull the fuel level sensor and see if anything is blocking the surge tank pickup and check the sock while I'm at it.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you guys find any solutions to this? I have the same issue on a 86NA spec car, pulled the sender can't find anything in the tank, new filter, cable to the starter was replaced due to almost starting a fire! but only cuts out on hard right hand turns. This is with 3/4 tank of gas.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My 944 had been cutting out in long sweeping right handers. Pull the tank and remove the "sock" around the fuel pickup. Cured it for good!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Brant, thanks I'm trying to collect as many suggestions as possible to do it all at once this week, another spec race comming up, nothing more frustrating than watching the field drive away from you as you stumble around the corner...

On an off topic note; you're garage looks alot like mine... how often does the cup make it to the track vs. the spec car?...
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the tank sock filter. Too often overlooked and it can clog or come apart and couse these problems. If you dont; want to go through that, start with a full tank and see if it does it, it usually happens below half a tank.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

My problem went away after I drained the tank, cleaned the sock filter, cleaned every elecrical connector I could think of. I also wire tied some of the wires down so they wouldn't move during cornering I mounted a fuel pressure gauge on a hose and taped it to my windshield wiper so that I could read it at the track. I discovered that when the car was cutting out, fuel pressure was normal.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, I suspect it was electrical too. I had the same problem with my AFM in right hand turns. It would cut out until I zip-tied the AFM wire tightly to the post. Before that, it was just hanging free.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Well it sounds like it's going to be a full systems check both electrical and fuel. I don't think I can pull the kinds of g's I need to get it to happen on the street so I guess I'll just go through everything...thanks for the input.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim,
If the tank is good check the reference sensor connections. An old connector can move when you load the car in turn causing problems.

hey most of turns at firebird main are left anyway so less to worry about.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know whats up with the right hand turn thing. I found a crack in my J boot . Replaced it and have not had a problem since. As I said before, I had the problem even with a full tank of gas.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Jim,
If the tank is good check the reference sensor connections. An old connector can move when you load the car in turn causing problems.

hey most of turns at firebird main are left anyway so less to worry about.
Thanks joe, I was thinking I could only run the oval at pir from now on...got any NASCAR stickers?

I can't believe the number of chronic issues that these cars have that have something to do with turning right...what the hell kind of bad ju ju did they have at the factory? was there one slow guy on the assembly line responsible for the right hand side of the car? Has anyone had a problem turning left for pete's sake?....probably only in australia...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I chased a similar problem w/ my car for almost 3 years, but it only happened during hard acceleration.

Had to replace the entire engine wiring harness. I tried everything else imaginable with no luck. John, I think tying down your wiring is what's temporarily solved your problem.

Quick Reply: Urgent help needed fuel starvation(?) in right hand corners - racing again tomorrow