Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car video cam recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe not in the budget but really a MUCH better camera suited towards in car cams.
I have used many over the years and this one is well worth the price.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...ck&IL=viovideo

Ask for Mike Romano at A.W.E. for more details, they are sponsors here as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hmm, you've gotten my attention with the Aiptek.
I assume there are choices in terms of models and stuff to buy with it? if so, what is the recommended set up (I assume I will use my existing I/O port mounting and will be matching the video up with TrackVision).
Maybe Tony can weigh in here.
Works great with the IOPort mount Rick. There is a huge thread around here detailing exactly what you need to buy for the camera and how to get it working.. but in general:

AHD+ - 1080P (or 720P which is VG also)
2 - 12V car chargers (you are going to hack one up, nice to have one to charge the camera if you should use it outside of the race car)
110V charger (2 if you want to charge in the house)
Remote Control - Velcro to the dash, start/stop recording while buckled in (have to call Aiptek to see if they will sell it, don't see it on their site).
16GB SD card - Minimum 4hr, Max 8hr recording time DO resolution/FPS - http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-16GB.../dp/B0010Z28XG
IOPort mount

Now the Action HD 1080P is a bit more but has a 3X Zoom and comes with a remote so factor that in when looking/pricing. I got my AHD+ on Amazon but look around. The Walgreens deal was pretty sweet. It's $169 at Walmart.

Now Tony, anything new to report or hasn't that show happened yet?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Works great with the IOPort mount Rick. There is a huge thread around here detailing exactly what you need to buy for the camera and how to get it working.. but in general:

AHD+ - 1080P (or 720P which is VG also)
2 - 12V car chargers (you are going to hack one up, nice to have one to charge the camera if you should use it outside of the race car)
110V charger (2 if you want to charge in the house)
Remote Control - Velcro to the dash, start/stop recording while buckled in (have to call Aiptek to see if they will sell it, don't see it on their site).
16GB SD card - Minimum 4hr, Max 8hr recording time DO resolution/FPS - http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-16GB.../dp/B0010Z28XG
IOPort mount

Now the Action HD 1080P is a bit more but has a 3X Zoom and comes with a remote so factor that in when looking/pricing. I got my AHD+ on Amazon but look around. The Walgreens deal was pretty sweet. It's $169 at Walmart.

Now Tony, anything new to report or hasn't that show happened yet?
Thank you, Gary (you know, as I posted my request, I thought 'maybe I should just ask Gary').
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
normank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Here's a better look at what the Aiptek delivers. Ignore the data - it was a test usign one of my stock clips from the Aiptek. http://www.vimeo.com/1614534
Looks very good. Where and how did you attach the camera? Is there a special clip or bracket that will fit a Tequipment Bar? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Very useful thread, indeed.

And extremely cool with the data overlay.

Rick: Give me a break! 38 days at the track this year ought to get me some slack! (or fired from work whichever comes first).
Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mhm993
Rick: Give me a break! 38 days at the track this year ought to get me some slack! (or fired from work whichever comes first).
Break granted; since you did 3 times the # of days I did, it seems deserved.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I surprised no one mention the Aiptek benefit to support A/V input. This can be used to plug in a bullet cam which can be mounted literally anywhere.

BTW...here is a good post from Jack Olsen on using the Aiptek/bullet cam setup

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ghlight=camera

Last edited by aben8057; 12-01-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Gary (you know, as I posted my request, I thought 'maybe I should just ask Gary').
I was wondering why you didn't email me directly Rick...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Gary
Are you using the zoom for in car video? I know with my old Camcorder I shot everything in car at wide angle.
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Hi Gary
Are you using the zoom for in car video? I know with my old Camcorder I shot everything in car at wide angle.
Thanks!
I don't have the Action model, I have the HD+. I put a wide-angle lens on it (which has to be taped on BTW, the magnet is useless) but it really isn't necessary and I think it degrades the image a bit. I think i'll just be using the std. camera lens next year. With the IOPort you can get the camera angled pretty well..
Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have to reach around to start/stop it every time? No remote?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Bought the camera last night online. I think the remote was $9 extra.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Do you have to reach around to start/stop it every time? No remote?
If that was for me Rick, I have a remote I bought seperately. The only issue is the remote doesn't turn the camera on for the HD+ but it starts/stops the recording. I just turn the camera on before getting in the car and start the recording when I want, stop it when I come in. I believe the one that comes with the Action HD does it all... Marc, you found the remote listed online? I couldn't find it on the Aiptek site when I looked yesterday under "Accessories".
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the remote at the www.aiptek.com site.
I'm still planning to do try ultimate Aitek hack this winter. The idea is to remote the Start/Stop record button and the recording LED to a small panel that can be placed anywhere on the console. I find the aiptec remote is not very reliable when I have gloves on - the membrane switch is the problem there. I don't like leaving the LCD open and facing the mirror, which is the only way to confirm that its in record mode.

Stay tuned - got to get through PRI, the Holidays, and a new TrackVision release first!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:52 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by APKhaos
You can buy the remote at the www.aiptek.com site.
I'm still planning to do try ultimate Aitek hack this winter. The idea is to remote the Start/Stop record button and the recording LED to a small panel that can be placed anywhere on the console. I find the aiptec remote is not very reliable when I have gloves on - the membrane switch is the problem there. I don't like leaving the LCD open and facing the mirror, which is the only way to confirm that its in record mode.

Stay tuned - got to get through PRI, the Holidays, and a new TrackVision release first!
How about you prepare an AIPTEK HD camera with said hack, 12 volt charging sysem, TrackVision set up for my AIM data, and I'll just buy it from you (seriously)?
That'll keep you busy for the winter.

Quick Reply: car video cam recommendation?