Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Olympic Metals... F1 Style

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the points system before the changed it in the Schumi era. It gave the driver a huge incentive to try and win. There was a larger point difference between first, second, and third.

I think the bigger issue here is the new points schema combined with the mutiple engine and gearbox BS. Near the end of the race, drivers turn down the revs and change the shift speed to save the engine/gearbox for the next race as blowing something chasing 2 more points isn't worth it...

My choice would be to remove the mutiple weekend engine and gearbox rules as they really restrict the racing. Anybody who believes that these rules actually save money and create parity should have thier head fixed.

ymmv,
Patrick
Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

They had it right in Top Gun:

"There's no points for second place" - Iceman

This isn't rocket science. 1 point for pole, 2 points for winning. That's it.

Originally Posted by Scootin159
I still feel the "World Driving Championship" is very lacking unless it includes AT LEAST:

Indy 500 (IRL)
Le Mans (Endurance Racing)
Monaco GP (F1)
Daytona 500 (NASCAR)
Monaco Rally (WRC) (or is there a better 'crown jewel' for WRC?)
Paris-Dakar (Endurance Rally)

some other events to fill out the calendar:

Brazilian GP
British GP
Belgian GP
Italian GP
Talledega 500
Coca-Cola 600
Rolex 24
That would be awesome!! Imagine a Ferrari Paris-Dakar entry
Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current point system is fine and while it does penalize drivers who drive to win , it does make for a tight championship. i would just add points for Q3 , positions 1-3 as 3,2,1 ..... This would make Q3 very important as teams could choose to go for Q3 points and balance that with race points.. For eg. A team/driver combination could possibly go for a fuel strategy that would net them P1 after q3 , but compromise there race strategy where they finish 4th... under this system they would have netted enough points as if the y had finished on the podium, it also means, as in relation to the WDC in Brazil this year Lewis would have had to have driven his ***** off in Q3 and also in the race instead of just cruising for a WDC ..

Yes he actually would have had to race Massa for his WDC ...........

Last edited by A.Wayne; 11-20-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
The current point system is fine and while it does penalize drivers who drive to win , it does make for a tight championship. i would just add points for Q3 , positions 1-3 as 3,2,1 ..... This would make Q3 very important as teams could choose to go for Q3 points and balance that with race points.. For eg. A team/driver combination could possibly go for a fuel strategy that would net them P1 after q3 , but compromise there race strategy where they finish 4th... under this system they would have netted enough points as if the y had finished on the podium, it also means, as in relation to the WDC in Brazil this year Lewis would have had to have driven his ***** off in Q3 and also in the race instead of just cruising for a WDC ..

Yes he actually would have had to race Massa for his WDC ...........
I agree with Q3 points and point system in general, it's fine but I'd add points for Q1 as well. This would mean everyone would haul *** in Q1 also.
Maybe 3,2,1 for Q1 and just a point (or two) for Q3.
They might actually do one point for Q3 but unfortunately that's the only Q change that they're considering.

Quick Reply: Olympic Metals... F1 Style