Sponsored by:

1980 SC vs 1987 Carrera purchase - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
3.2 faster than 3.0 - not in my experience We can argue that all day but there are some very very good wheel men in 3.0's out there.
Thanks Streak, I assumed you were talking about me.

Seriously, I've had my SC for about 8 years and it has been bulletproff, but I also have a bunch of money in it too and always replace parts rior to failure for safety. If you plan to seriously track either car, I would think that goinng over it with a fine tooth comb and replacing worn parts, especially suspension and brakes would be first priority. RE the 915 G50 debate, I have driven 915s that I couldn't find 3rd on without clashing gears and I have also driven G50s that are nearly as bad. The bottom line is that both boxes wear. I personally would always spring for a track car over a car that has only seen the street. Track cars most always have parts replaced before needed for safety reasons. Receipts are required for both. Someone once told me this proverb that has held true for me.."They are all $20-25K cars, pay now or pay later." $10K SCs would scare me.

Good luck,
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I noticed it was hard to be smooth coming off the pedal on an upshift when I at the redline.

Low RPM shifts were smooth and similar to my G50. But at high RPMs, I couldn't make it as smooth. Might just be that spring loaded clutch pedal? It seems to want to pop off the floor. Is that a trait of these?
You might want to do a bit of research on 915 trannies, as there is plenty out there on Rennlist and Pelican Parts. The bottom line is that you can't shift a 915 tranny as quickly as a G50 tranny. Another saying for you: "With a 915 tranny, you should say the words "CheckBook" between each shift, shift any faster and you will need your checkbook." I tend to shift slow like this on the track and mine has lasted 8 years so far, but a rebuild is in my future.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The 87 is NOT faster than the SC 0n 90% of tracks, even given equal drivers IMO. As for transmissions, i'll quote my mentor "the 915 needs a rebuild twice as much as a 915, but the G50 rebuild costs twice as much". Take a quick look at the times the D class (78-83 SC's) put down vs. the E (and F usually) class 87-89 G50 cars. SHeesh, Fred beat most of the 964's in our race at Lightning..
Dis-agree it needs it 4 times as much and "fred" is at the top of the bell curve

Quick Reply: 1980 SC vs 1987 Carrera purchase - need advice