Where to set my shift lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Rick, do you have the Strada, Pista, or Pro?

I have the Pista and I have mine set 200rpm below redline for the last red and then another -200rpm for every light all the way.

If you have the pro you can set shift lights for EVERY gear which is very nice since the time to redline is not a linear relationship across gears.

If I am not mistaken there are 5 shift lights. (2 green, a yellow, and 2 red). I'd have to run out to the car to verify.
Hi Dell
Its the Pista; it may well have 5 lights. Hard to keep count on the track.
Pause to check car - oops, jeez, you're right. 5 lights it is.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 11-16-2008, 08:48 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow - a typical Rennlist thread where I am learning about things I didn't know enough to ask about.
Car is an N/A 1995 (non-Varioram) with stock innards.
Chip is standard factory chip for a U.S. 1995 model.
Light fly wheel.
Exhaust is stock except for Robin Sun mufflers; cat still attached.
Short gears (not dyno relevant, of course)
Is going in for a tune-up later this month; also noted the shortfall in A/F ratio.
Thanks, everyone - I need to read the various posts more closely and see what they mean. A great start.

Last edited by RickBetterley; 11-16-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to set my shift lights where I can see them!

Yeah, that was an attempt to be funny, but there is also some wisdom there. I want to be able to see the lights with my head up, looking out the windshield. You would be surprised at the number of times in racing where you just should not be glancing down at the dash looking at the tach or the lights.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I like to set my shift lights where I can see them!

Yeah, that was an attempt to be funny, but there is also some wisdom there. I want to be able to see the lights with my head up, looking out the windshield. You would be surprised at the number of times in racing where you just should not be glancing down at the dash looking at the tach or the lights.
Yup, I can see them well (got that part under control, but its a good point).
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found the results for a dyno pull we did on a '95 (no v-ram of course) but not the chart. The car had an open airbox, GIAC chip and the cat in place. Max whp was 248.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would set the shift lights up for a shift point of 6700 rpm and if the A/F are close to being correct , your car is very rich on the top....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- If any of this comes across as "uninformed" please just disreguard this post
- I have 2 turbo cars that have after market custom tunes
- I also have a 997gt3 and have seen both the stock tune (a/f) and have also tried aftermarket tunes (a/f)

- 1st stupid question, is your 993 a turbo or na? (i'm guessing it is na by the dyno chart)
- 2nd question, from a racing class perspective, do you have to run the stock a/f tune?
- i ask these above questions, based on my opening statement about having first hand knowledge about the "best" a/f ratios on my 3 cars that have been tuned to know that in both cases (turbo or na) your a/f curve does not appear to be optimal and you very likely with a better tune could extract more power
- if you have a turbo car, you should likely be richer earlier on and then leaner later (richer early on will get you much better timing, also better when you are at peak torque and then after peak torque you can lean it out for more hp and better fuel economy)
- if your car is na, then your fuel curve is very wierd (from my experience) and you should be able to extract lots more hp in the upper end by leaning it out quite a bit (13.3 range is usually where you want to be)

- if you have no choice and this is stock software, then maybe you want to see if other cars indeed have this curve because you are definitely down on "potential" power

- here is the dyno for a 997gt3 (look carefully and you can see the a/f curves)

This isn't a great chart but it will give you an idea about extracting max hp from a turbo car
- want to get it richer early on to keep good timing at peak torque and then lean it out a bit
- we were trying differnent fueling curves (2 black lines at the bottom) but keeping it richer a peak tq proved the best

paul

Your 997 has water cooled 4 v heads , quite a bit different from the air cooled 993 heads, they will require different A/F to make power and last ...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Your 997 has water cooled 4 v heads , quite a bit different from the air cooled 993 heads, they will require different A/F to make power and last ...
- From my tuner, the na 993s are tuned to 13.0 for max power, very slightly richer than a 997gt3 at 13.3 to 13.6 but still way leaner than the 11.0 that the original dyno chart showed - so it would appear there is something going on that is not optimal

- as an aside, he is seeing great results with new caymans at 13.5 a/f and getting very good results with headers and exhausts

Quick Reply: Where to set my shift lights?