Sponsored by:

JIC-Cross vs Motons

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JIC-Cross vs Motons

OK so after getting my butt kicked ,no trounced, in my stock suspension gt-3 by guys with Motons I have been looking around and wanted some input .The JIC -Cross is not Motons I know but we are talking way less money .Would love to hear what y'all think about the cost benefits and the performance of the two systems HOM
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually the KWs are faster then Moton, sachs and JRZ. I was just as surprised
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KW's?

So are they a multi adjustable non gas reservoir shock ?Who sells them and can I get them set up for a 2004 GT-3?Oh yeah would I be able to drive it on the street?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 PM
va122
Drifting

The stock suspensin is undersprung and overdamped, and will eventually get worse. I just had this conversation with another GT3'r. You could go the budget route and send your shocks to bilstein for a revalving. Another option is to go with the non-adjustable cargraphic (get the norchlife version) which is excellent and you don't have to worry about anything, bolt on magic.

Something to think about with the adjustables is how you're going to dial in the shocks, the JIC is a nice piece, plenty adjustable like my motons. A word of caution, I've seen plenty of guys get slower when they installed motons because they weren't adjusted right. I tried myself, gave up and got a pro driver (my coach) to dial them in, with a crew in the pits ready to adjust pressure, sways or alignment as necessary. I also used telemetry data to dial in the high speed compression and rebound.

Try to find someone who has the shocks you want and talk to him about how he set them up. The JIC do not have remote adjustment, the valves are on the shock body which means for every adjustment you have to go under the car as opposed to simply pulling into the pits and reaching around for a click of the dial on the canisters. This complicates the job considerably and will still take the better part of the day. You cannot really do this at a DE, you need to rent the track or something similar depending on your means. B/C you will be going out for a lap and coming in to adjust over and over again.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 PM
va122
Drifting

oh, just read your reply. You can get all the different systems at RSS (road sport supply in costa mesa, CA) ask for Greg or Mike and tell them Victor sent you and you are trying to decide between the cargraphic (truely wonderful), JIC (which they have installed in a GT3), or Motons. Their tech sets up the grand am cars for a couple teams and knows his stuff. You also could try Synergy they are in your area.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
va122
Drifting

KWs are awesome, Manthey's choice in europe and if you ask nicely they'll give you the norchlief settings. There was a recent shoot out of the different systems in cup cars with the shock engineers at the track for set up and it was determined that the KWs are 2 sec faster then moton and JRZ. All three are comperable in price
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

What times are you running (and at which tracks)?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've got the Cross Competitions. Honestly, I don't know enough yet about them to tell you how they compare to the other options, but from a cost point of view, and from the outward appearance of quality, they seem great.

I assume you are talking about a dedicated track car. In that case, the top of the rear shocks will be easily accessible to you inside the car. That is where the adjusters on the rear shocks are located. The front shocks adjust from the bottom of the tower. You can reach them by simply lying down and reaching under the car. A floor jack makes it a bit easier. So while it's true that you wouldn't want to drive a couple of laps, stop and make an adjustment, and then go out for a couple more, etc, etc, in a DE environment, making adjustments between runs at a DE is no big deal at all. I've done it, and believe me I'm not a mechanical genius.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
va122
Drifting

Colin, I was talking about the Yokohama drivers cup shock shootout (I forgot what it was called).

Mike, you're right you can make adjustments between sessions, but to dial in the more advanced shocks like the tripples and 4ways you need data and a lot of track time. Doubles are doable, by comparison we dialed in my M3 with doubles in like a 20 min practice session. Got lucky i guess.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the JIC-Cross system on a 993. Pretty easy to dial in since there is not a myriad of adjustments. My Penskes on the 911 (1000 lbs lighter) were set up pretty good by the prior owner so i have only had to tweak them.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the JIC's on a 964. I found them to be a high quality product. Like others have said they don't have very good remote adjusters, so setting changes are a bit of a pain. Overall, I was happy with them. With that said, you may want to go with a more proven product on a GT3. I probably wouldn't do JIC's on my GT3.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
Colin, I was talking about the Yokohama drivers cup shock shootout (I forgot what it was called).
I was asking the OP about lap times & tracks so we can make a better recommendation. IMO, unless he is cording the outside of R tires because he can't get enough negative camber OR he is within a couple of seconds of the top drivers, then upgrading the suspension will do very little. At a track like VIR, we are talking in the sub 2:10 range at a minimum for a street GT3 at DEs.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

You can get adjuster extenders for the rears from JIC which makes it easier to make quick changes. The fronts still require a jack (or someone with an abnormally thin head), but 'lift & turn' is less than 10 minutes which makes it a piece of cake on DE days.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
You can get adjuster extenders for the rears from JIC which makes it easier to make quick changes. The fronts still require a jack (or someone with an abnormally thin head), but 'lift & turn' is less than 10 minutes which makes it a piece of cake on DE days.
Where do you get the extenders?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by va122
KWs are awesome, Manthey's choice in europe and if you ask nicely they'll give you the norchlief settings. There was a recent shoot out of the different systems in cup cars with the shock engineers at the track for set up and it was determined that the KWs are 2 sec faster then moton and JRZ. All three are comperable in price
I'd like to see that article. The whole purpose of 2 & 3 way adjustable shocks is to adjust them to have the correct dampening. I do not understand how one could be that far superior to another.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: JIC-Cross vs Motons