Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dyson is done with PMNA & Spyders

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=5018

DYSON RACING: STATEMENT ON PORSCHE PARTNERSHIP

Dyson Racing turned back the clock at Lime Rock this year with its 1985 Porsche 962 livery on the No. 16 RS Spyder.
Dyson Racing has announced that with the end of the 2008 American Le Mans Series season, it will be concluding its partnership with Porsche Motorsport and Porsche Motorsport North America. For the 2007 and 2008 race seasons, Dyson Racing campaigned two Porsche RS Spyders in the Series' LMP2 class, successfully assisting Porsche in winning back-to-back manufacturer championships.

"There is no more competitive and interesting series in racing today than the American Le Mans Series," noted Team Principal Rob Dyson. "Competing at the highest levels of sports car racing with Porsche and their historical pedigree has been an invigorating experience for our whole organization. We have enjoyed working with Porsche and their people here in the States and over in Germany. Their help in putting together a new car in less than five days after our crash at Lime Rock this year will always stand in our minds as a singular display of their dedication."

Harmut Kristen, Director of Porsche Motorsport, said, "Dyson Racing possibly took on one of the toughest challenges in sports car racing when they made the decision to enter two RS Spyders in the American Le Mans Series for 2007. But from the start in Sebring they were right there with us until the last race in Laguna Seca this year. It has been a rich and rewarding experience for all of us to cooperate on that level of racing with a team that has such a great history. I know the Dyson team will also have a great future."

The 2007 season was a homecoming for Porsche and Dyson Racing. The team ran Porsche 962s in the IMSA GTP series from 1985 through 1991, winning a dozen races with 19 podium finishes and four consecutive Porsche Cups. It won the first race they ran with the Porsche 962 at Lime Rock in May of 1985.

"In honor of our 25th anniversary in professional racing this year, we painted one of our RS Spyders at Lime Rock in the same colors as our winning car from 1985," said Chris Dyson. "It is fitting that we celebrated our silver anniversary year running with Porsche as they were instrumental in establishing our ascendancy to the top levels of sports car racing. We thank them for all of their support over the years and look back fondly on the friends we have made and the memories we share."
Old 11-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are they leaving ALMS?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:24 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=5018

DYSON RACING: STATEMENT ON PORSCHE PARTNERSHIP

Dyson Racing turned back the clock at Lime Rock this year with its 1985 Porsche 962 livery on the No. 16 RS Spyder.
Dyson Racing has announced that with the end of the 2008 American Le Mans Series season, it will be concluding its partnership with Porsche Motorsport and Porsche Motorsport North America. For the 2007 and 2008 race seasons, Dyson Racing campaigned two Porsche RS Spyders in the Series' LMP2 class, successfully assisting Porsche in winning back-to-back manufacturer championships.

"There is no more competitive and interesting series in racing today than the American Le Mans Series," noted Team Principal Rob Dyson. "Competing at the highest levels of sports car racing with Porsche and their historical pedigree has been an invigorating experience for our whole organization. We have enjoyed working with Porsche and their people here in the States and over in Germany. Their help in putting together a new car in less than five days after our crash at Lime Rock this year will always stand in our minds as a singular display of their dedication."

Harmut Kristen, Director of Porsche Motorsport, said, "Dyson Racing possibly took on one of the toughest challenges in sports car racing when they made the decision to enter two RS Spyders in the American Le Mans Series for 2007. But from the start in Sebring they were right there with us until the last race in Laguna Seca this year. It has been a rich and rewarding experience for all of us to cooperate on that level of racing with a team that has such a great history. I know the Dyson team will also have a great future."

The 2007 season was a homecoming for Porsche and Dyson Racing. The team ran Porsche 962s in the IMSA GTP series from 1985 through 1991, winning a dozen races with 19 podium finishes and four consecutive Porsche Cups. It won the first race they ran with the Porsche 962 at Lime Rock in May of 1985.

"In honor of our 25th anniversary in professional racing this year, we painted one of our RS Spyders at Lime Rock in the same colors as our winning car from 1985," said Chris Dyson. "It is fitting that we celebrated our silver anniversary year running with Porsche as they were instrumental in establishing our ascendancy to the top levels of sports car racing. We thank them for all of their support over the years and look back fondly on the friends we have made and the memories we share."
What is the reason?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Its always about $$ isn't it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Bill Farrell
Rennlist Member

I understand that Dyson is going to ALMS P1 for the 2009 season (back to Lola).

Bill
Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

read on Pelican that Penske is testing a DP car for Grand Am and is done with Spyders as well

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=438728
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
read on Pelican that Penske is testing a DP car for Grand Am and is done with Spyders as well

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=438728
DP...yawn....
Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

DP sucks.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The scuttle has been, for a few months now, that Porsche will not be running RS Spyders in ALMS next year. Supposedly they are working on a P1 car and will return in 2010 for a full-on assault on the 24 Hours.
I still say the ACO, and ALMS should can P1 and GT-1 and follow Grand Am in having 2 classes. I think GT-1 is dead in ALMS anyway, but the ACO...?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Bill Farrell
Rennlist Member

Dyson sent one car back to Porsche and the other is for sale.
The P1 Lola will be a closed cockpit car.

Bill
------------------------
'03 GT3 Cup
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

well i think we all new penske was out of ALMS for 2009, sucks for Dyson and Porsche, the ALMS should just have P1 & GT2. May be now is the time for Grand Am and ALMS to merge, one gt2 class, p1 and the grand am cars.

I am a big Porsche fan, i guess i will have to look at grand am racing this year.

What motor is Dyson running? I heard some where he may run a Mazda, may be Toyota will come into the picture as well!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

P2 will suck next year. Gt2 will be the only race to watch.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Farrell
Dyson sent one car back to Porsche and the other is for sale.
The P1 Lola will be a closed cockpit car.

Bill
------------------------
'03 GT3 Cup
Group buy anyone? How much are they selling the Spyder for?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

That Spyder would make a good DE car. You could probably put a passenger seat into it. They are designed to be a 2 place roadster aren't they?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that Mr. Panoz and IMSA gets along too well with NASCAR and the France family so I would not hold my breath for a merger between the two series.

Quick Reply: Dyson is done with PMNA & Spyders