Sponsored by:

newbie looking for track wheel/tire size advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:23 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default newbie looking for track wheel/tire size advice

I'm new to DEs, but I'm doing well and would like to switch to track tires after one or two more runs on street tires. So I'm starting my search for wheels and tires now.

I'm running stock Fuchs with 205/55x16 and 225/50x16.

Any recommendations on specific wheels I should look for?
Wheel sizes?
Tire sizes?

Thanks, guys and gals. I need all the help I can get.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The advice I was given is that the last upgrade for a novice to do is track tires.

I'm spending the money I would have spent on tires to get more instruction and seat time at a local track.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
The advice I was given is that the last upgrade for a novice to do is track tires.

I'm spending the money I would have spent on tires to get more instruction and seat time at a local track.
I plan to run on street tires a little while longer. But I think I want to move to track tires before the end of next season. I'd like to keep my eyes open for a set of wheels so I'm seeking advice now.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

When you say track tires, do you mean R-compounds? If so, I agree with the advice to wait. But if, for example, your regular tires are all-seasons and just not up to spirited use, AND by track tires you mean street tires better suited to track use (e.g. summer performance tires) then I think there is a good reason to upgrade.

But I don't know 911 tire sizing so I'm not much help here. As to brand, I'd look at Kumhos or Hankook street performance tires. Cheap but capable.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
When you say track tires, do you mean R-compounds? If so, I agree with the advice to wait. But if, for example, your regular tires are all-seasons and just not up to spirited use, AND by track tires you mean street tires better suited to track use (e.g. summer performance tires) then I think there is a good reason to upgrade.
I'm currently running Goodyear F1 GS-D3s (summer only). They replaced the Dunlop Sports that the previous owner installed and that I ruined on the track last time out. The F1s held up well.

By track tires, I'm referring to track-only (Hoosier R6, Kumho Victoracers, etc).
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of upgrades before track tires like Hoosier R6's:
Seats
6 point belts
roll bar
track alignment
Seat time with instructor
Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Lots of upgrades before track tires like Hoosier R6's:
Seats
6 point belts
roll bar
track alignment
  • I'll be buying seats and installing them this winter.
  • harness too of course
  • roll bar has been in car for a year
  • has been lowered and aligned with some additional neg camber
  • got some seat time with instructor... will get more... and by the way: it was my instructor that suggested I consider track tires now/soon
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

R6's in 245/35/18 and 275/35/18 should work fine but you may need to have your fenders rolled if they aren't already.. similar sizes in 17" also.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider an intermediate track tire before jumping all the way to the Hoosier Crack Pipe. Something with a little more feedback like:

RA1 - perhaps the best "all around" track tire that is DOT approved for the street, is a good rain tire, gives good feedback, is very capable in the dry, etc. Just make sure to get them shaved.

PSCup - Slightly faster in the dry, not as fast in the wet. Long lasting like the RA1.

I've been in Black for a while and the only reason I'm about to drive on Hoosier R6s is that they came on a set of Fikse wheels I just picked up. For DE use, I just don't see the sense of Hoosier Race Tires.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

RonCT: Thank you. That's precisely the kind of advice I'm looking for. Keep it coming!

I looked at as many tires as I could at the last DE. It was a lot of the upper class drivers as it was the last of the season here. So I saw lots of Hoosiers, etc. I think you're right: an intermediate tire would make sense.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I would stay away from the PSCups with a light car, IMO you will never get enough heat in them. Toyo RA1, R888, Kuhmo's, etc. for your next step.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would stay away from the PSCups with a light car, IMO you will never get enough heat in them. Toyo RA1, R888, Kuhmo's, etc. for your next step.
The Toyo R888 looks very promising. The tread pattern suggests it might shed water well if the need arises. Also, might keep me from having to buy a hitch and trailer since they are DOT legal. I'd prefer not to eat rubber by driving to and from the track, but it might be necessary.

I read on a NASA Forum that shaving isn't needed/recommended. Y'all think it's ok to run them unshaved? Seems ideal since that would increase treadlife.

Any specific Kumho you recommend?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
racer
Drifting

You can run them shaved or unshaved.

There are a host of wheel/tire upgrades available, depending how much you want to spend.

Porsche FUCHS wheels:
6/7 x 16 (current set up)
7/8 x 16
7/9 x 16
8/9 x 16

The 7/8 x16 and up sizes would allow you to run 225-50 front, 245-45 rear which is a popular upgrade.

It should be noted that there are few tire choices for these sizes available as most "performance" tires are for 17" and 18" applications

Maybe you should also consider your budget? Rims could cost anywhere from $200/rim to $900/rim. Tires are likely in the $150-250 range depending on brand and size.

Also consider how these may overburden your suspension. Looks like you have a cab (not exactly the stiffest of platforms).. what about your other suspenions components - are they stock? upgraded? ...

It becomes the slipperiest slope ever. The KISS principle might be to keep what you have, increase seat time, and if you want stickier tires, go to a 205/225 which will fit your current rims.

You could also go with custom wheels like Fikse, CCW, Forgeline, BBS etc.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Agreed with the above on the sport cups. If not done yet, tune your suspension before putting on stickier tires. Your current wheels will allow you to mount great tires from many manufacturers. If you don't want to use them for the track, then get another like-set or go with some of the suggestions already posted. For example, i run 245/40/17F and 275/40/17R.

If you are already told by chief instructors that you are doing well at your DEs, and your suspension is already set-up properly, and you have a seat with harnesses, then the Hoosier R6s will give you even more proper feedback about the car and car/track relationship than other street legal R-compound tires such as the mspc or the toyos (my own personal experience).

Good luck and be safe.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm hearing as much bad as good about the R888 and same with the Nitto NT01, which is another option. I've run and liked the RA1 and PSCup (on heavier car) - can't think of anything "bad" to report about the RA1.

Quick Reply: newbie looking for track wheel/tire size advice