Sponsored by:

NASA questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts
Default NASA questions

I have seen some NASA discussions on Rennlist so maybe I can get some help here.

I'm thinking of taking the old green car down to NJMP this weekend. I did check the NASA website so I know the "official" rules but maybe some of you guys know what they actually will allow.

Their rules are stricter than PCA, for example they mention windshield clips, two or more door bars, and a few other things I don't have. Do you think I will be able to race with them, if they send me home I would really be PO'd.

Also they require a certified dyno form. I have dyno'd my car so maybe I can get someone to fill out the form for me, don't want to run in an unlimited class.

However I checked the results and it seems their fastest car (by far!) is in GTS3 which I would fall into. Somehow that guy with 11 to 1 pounds/HP is almost as fast as a cup car, I don't get it. So maybe unlimited would be just as good?

I see they will take my PCA or SCCA license for one race so that should be ok, anything else that might get in the way?

Also in the GTS group will there be some REALLY SLOW cars or really bad drovers taking all the fun out of it?

thanks for any info.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a bunch of the guys that normally race GTS3 with NASA Mid-Atlantic are going up to that event, so there should be some people to race with. The NASA NE events typically have a lot less cars than Mid-Atlantic -- and there is a Mid-Atlantic race the same weekend.

The biggest thing to watch out for is that you're on track with all of the high-hp cars so you'll have all of the CMC (camaro mustang challenge) guys out there with you, if any of them are at this event. As you'd expect they are fast in the straights and not so much in the turns. Normally on the turns they are sliding all over and you have to watch them.

Bobt993 and Magnetic1 both race GTS3 so hopefully they will chime in.

GTS3 with Mid-Atlantic is one of the best NASA classes right now -- close competition and really fast/clean drivers. Basically they should call it M3 Porsche Challenge. The only thing to worry about is the other classes out on track

As far as classing, it's a little late to worry about points anyway so who cares? I'd show the guys in the class the dyno sheet and see if they have an issue.

Bring your PCA logbook and license. I very highly doubt they will give you trouble if you have a current logbook (assuming you have a cage). If they have minor issues I think they'll probably tell you to fix them for next time.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A couple of things in the Great lakes region. They will not let you race if the car does not have a log book grandfathering you before the 2 door bar rule. I would check with them before you go. You also have to have a RS net and 360 welds. You also have to have a annual whcih they should be able to do at the track. There is no GTS-U in this area and you need a dyno sheet from an approved dyno operator. It pretty easy once all of this is done and is easier for next year.

Mike
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Mike -

I have a bolt-in straight door bar that you are welcome to use if it fits. I'm up near Dan J's shop, be glad to drop it there or meet you somewhere. The other thing they want is a diagonal that runs from the driver's head area on the main hoop down to the base of the passenger side upright and either a halo seat or a right side net. I had the bar added to my Safety Devices hoop (which is what the extra door bar fits if you happen to have one)..
Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

thanks for the info, I sent one of them a PM on the NASA forum. I have a new halo seat so maybe I would be covered there. I also have a great Auto Associates cage so plenty of tubes in back. The cage is custom so doubtful a bolt on door bar would fit.

weather looks rainy for Sat but Fri and Sun should be ok so may be worth going. Want to test my new carbon fiber Recaro pro Hans seat and get in a cheap race before the cars hibernate
Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

I'd definitely clear the door bar issue with the NASA folks first. Can't speak for other regions but in the Midwest I know our scrute's have no issues sending someone packing who is missing significant safety reg's.

The dyno sheet is important, but we'd never send you home if you don't have it. While GTS-U is not a national class anymore, we still use it regionally to cover those situations where a guy doesn't have sheet but still wants to run. Check with your regional GTS director to be sure.

Each region has it's faster cars. In the Midwest and Great Lakes the GTS-4 cars are fastest typically. It just depends on the car and/or drivers.

Most importantly, welcome to GTS! It's definitely the best racing I've ever done!

Chris Streit
Midwest GTS Director
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Regardless of the organization, I would see if anyone close to you can do the NASA annual tech inspection ASAP so that if there is an issue you will have time to resolve it.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Question

Originally Posted by analogmike
thanks for the info, I sent one of them a PM on the NASA forum. I have a new halo seat so maybe I would be covered there. I also have a great Auto Associates cage so plenty of tubes in back. The cage is custom so doubtful a bolt on door bar would fit.
Custom cage with only 1 door bar? Are we talking about the same thing when we talk door bars?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by cstreit
Each region has it's faster cars. In the Midwest and Great Lakes the GTS-4 cars are fastest typically. It just depends on the car and/or drivers.
And down here in the SE/MA regions, it just depends on who shows up. Many of the class podiuming cars still seem to be cross-over cars from other series, so it's hard to look at the results from one specific event or one specific region and get a good idea of the speeds a certain class runs.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Custom cage with only 1 door bar? Are we talking about the same thing when we talk door bars?
My car was originally built as a street/DE car, which is safer with only a half cage (no front hoop) so the rear was made extra strong. I had it extended to a full cage for racing, but did not add an additional door bar, just the one angling down to the front. I have meant to add more bars for the last few years but with the Cup cars I never got around to it. Maybe should add NASCAR bars but I want to leave the stock window operational.

thanks!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

Give a call to Ken Stadt at Paddock Performance. I know he does some work with NASA NE as far as tech inspections & that sort of stuff, and can probaby help you figure this stuff out. The shop is in Haverstraw, NY, shouldn't be far from you. His # is 845-429-4115.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Mike
You can run without making any changes to the car for one race. You'll get a log book and have one race to make all the necessary changes. I've had this exact conversation with Joe Casella who runs the NE. Click on the link below in my signature. Send an email to Joe. He's a good guy and would talk it through with you.

Joe's email is imp.auto@verizon.net
Old 11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I called Joe and he said I would be ok for one race.

Are you headed down? Anyone else?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm done for the season...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by analogmike
Thanks, I called Joe and he said I would be ok for one race.

Are you headed down? Anyone else?

Take the Cup car and win overall...

Quick Reply: NASA questions