Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle/wheel dolly recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008 | 03:09 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Default Vehicle/wheel dolly recommendation?

I appreciate any ideas you might have....

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars/464142-vehicle-wheel-dolly-recommendation.html
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:34 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

These look like a good choice. It says the wheels must be removed though...

http://www.cupcarsolutions.com/jackstands.htm
Old 11-03-2008 | 04:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Here are some options - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...m=Wheel+dollys
Old 11-03-2008 | 04:54 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by cobrien
I appreciate any ideas you might have....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464142
Colin!!!! did you purchase Juraczyk's car???? Wow!
Old 11-03-2008 | 05:41 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Cradle type are a good option on a budget. You have to jack the car up onto and off of them. They tend to be better for long term storage and they also tend to have poor wheels that make it harder to move the car around on less than glass smooth surfaces. Another important aspect is they might have to be chocked to prevent the car from moving on an incline. The go jack type, Go-Jak brand or not ,can be opened and the cars tire will drop back onto the floor. One set can be used to move a lot of cars, air jacks or not, as they are easy to put on the tire and remove.

Go-Jaks and be done with it IMHO. I have a set at home and also use (ab)use them in the dealerships where I work. They are the most used in pro settings for a reason they are good and they work well. The casters are strong and the wheels have a good solid bearing in them to reduce rolling resistance.
Old 11-03-2008 | 09:06 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Am I too cheap if I use plain old mover's dollys (put them underneath the frame rails). $17 each at Harbor Freight and each has 4 wheels and padding.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38970
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:07 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Colin!!!! did you purchase Juraczyk's car???? Wow!
Hey Fred, how are things? Good to hear from you!

Yes, I believe it was his car, though it passed through a few other hands before I got it a couple of weeks ago. I only had a chance to run it for maybe 20 laps in 50 degree weather, so I have absolutely no feel for it yet at all. Something to look forward to for next year, along with figuring out the suspension setup, Motec, and who knows what else! But it was either do something like this or gut the GT3 and turn it into a complete track car, which seemed kind of crazy
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:11 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by kurt M
Cradle type are a good option on a budget. You have to jack the car up onto and off of them. They tend to be better for long term storage and they also tend to have poor wheels that make it harder to move the car around on less than glass smooth surfaces. Another important aspect is they might have to be chocked to prevent the car from moving on an incline. The go jack type, Go-Jak brand or not ,can be opened and the cars tire will drop back onto the floor. One set can be used to move a lot of cars, air jacks or not, as they are easy to put on the tire and remove.

Go-Jaks and be done with it IMHO. I have a set at home and also use (ab)use them in the dealerships where I work. They are the most used in pro settings for a reason they are good and they work well. The casters are strong and the wheels have a good solid bearing in them to reduce rolling resistance.
Hey Kurt, thanks very much for the info. I'd assumed the same in looking at the cradle type; the casters on all the ones I've seen looked like they wouldn't hold up and would not be easy to get moving. Go-Jaks look promising. Sorry to be more of a pain, but since you've actually used them.....can I reasonably expect to be able to move a 2400 lb. car resting on Go-Jaks around by myself (assuming I'm in decent shape, of course )? That's really the biggest thing for me. I need to be able to roll the car straight out from under a lift, pivot it 90 degrees, and pull it off the dollies. Preferably without investing 30 minutes in getting it done.....
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:15 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

These are what the pros use to move cars for towing. The 2 rollers come together and lift the car when you step on the foot pedal. They touch nothing but the tire and work great. They are not cheap however.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool.../UNI-5000.html
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Colin - I've pushed a big-*** 53 Ford PU out of my way using the JEG's trolly's on a less than perfect concrete floor. I love the Go-Jak's ability to lift the car and if they are under $600 a set (of 4) I would go that route..
Old 11-04-2008 | 08:33 AM
FredC
Drifting

Things are good. That car is amazing! Good for you to have bought it! Awesome!

See you next season (I plan on a couple of trips to the abcc).

Hey Fred, how are things? Good to hear from you!

Yes, I believe it was his car, though it passed through a few other hands before I got it a couple of weeks ago. I only had a chance to run it for maybe 20 laps in 50 degree weather, so I have absolutely no feel for it yet at all. Something to look forward to for next year, along with figuring out the suspension setup, Motec, and who knows what else! But it was either do something like this or gut the GT3 and turn it into a complete track car, which seemed kind of crazy
Old 11-04-2008 | 10:32 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Having used go jacks and cheaper dollies, any of them are hard to push straight by youself. Becuase the casters rotate, they will pick the path of least resistance. You'll spend some time walking around the car pushing it the way you want, but it's do-able.
Old 11-04-2008 | 02:16 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it!

Hey Kurt, thanks very much for the info. I'd assumed the same in looking at the cradle type; the casters on all the ones I've seen looked like they wouldn't hold up and would not be easy to get moving. Go-Jaks look promising. Sorry to be more of a pain, but since you've actually used them.....can I reasonably expect to be able to move a 2400 lb. car resting on Go-Jaks around by myself (assuming I'm in decent shape, of course )? That's really the biggest thing for me. I need to be able to roll the car straight out from under a lift, pivot it 90 degrees, and pull it off the dollies. Preferably without investing 30 minutes in getting it done.....
I can move a full sized 6000 pound SUV around with one hand. You have to be careful or the car will wander off on you if there is any slope. Be sure to check if the casters will fit under the car some low cars don't have enough room to fit a Go Jak. you could jack up with the cup jacks and then drop on the Go-Jacks. Yes this is the same as with cradle types but the Go-Jacks can be used on other cars and I bet you have some of them too.

Using them to place a buddies car in an imposable position is fun too.
Old 11-04-2008 | 03:32 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Matt, you have it correct, Sir. Needs a little jiggling on anything but a very smooth floor.

Kurt, I think an Suv would be easier to push than a race car if only because you can't push just anywhere on a race car. If you can do it with one hand on anything but a glass floor, you're one badass ****. But I must admit, I did think about playing some tricks on my garage-mates with them, as you suggested!

Collin, we could make Spicoli or Shawn very happy!
Old 11-04-2008 | 05:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
Matt, you have it correct, Sir. Needs a little jiggling on anything but a very smooth floor.

Kurt, I think an Suv would be easier to push than a race car if only because you can't push just anywhere on a race car. If you can do it with one hand on anything but a glass floor, you're one badass ****. But I must admit, I did think about playing some tricks on my garage-mates with them, as you suggested!

Collin, we could make Spicoli or Shawn very happy!
6"1' 210# on a standard finish cement with paint floor and yes my wallet has Bad *** Mo Fo stamped on it . Also moved one on outside pavement from one parking spot to the next one over. Moving a glass body car is simple open / remove the hood and rear deck lid. Now you have plenty of places to grip besides the cage tubing. If you need to do a one person move on a slope you can use "C" track on the floor to guide the non human powered end wheels. 2 people take all the fun out of moving any car. You can also just put Go-Jacs under two wheels and use that end to steer the car like a shopping cart.

Quick Reply: Vehicle/wheel dolly recommendation?