Sponsored by:

race suits: 2 vs 3 layer; demon-tweeks UK vendor

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default race suits: 2 vs 3 layer; demon-tweeks UK vendor

Any truth to this statement that is posted under Sabelt race suits on the Hoerr Racing Products web site www.hrpworld.com under Sabelt race suits:
"Driver Suit Flame Protection Information: Most burns occur not from direct contact with flame, but from the heat. Because of this the space between the layers of a suit protect you just as much as the fabric does. This space acts as a cushion of cool air between your skin and the heat from the flame. It takes about six seconds for the temperature of a flame to transfer through a one-layer suit.
A two-layer suit gives you about 14 seconds. A three-layer suit uses two cushions of air between three layers of fabric for 18-26 seconds of protection from the heat."
If so, any recommendations re lower priced 3 layer race suits, the ones I can find are Sparco Challenge $599, Sparco Sparco $800, Sabelt Creation $530, Sabelt Driver Plus2 $640, or Sabelt Speedy 2 $800.
Also, has anyone purchased race suits from the UK at www.demon-tweeks.co.uk, prices are less then in the US, even if shipping is $60
Dave
Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not bought a suit from demonntweaks but plenty of other things from them when I was in the US. They are one of if not the biggest supplier in Uk and are very reiable. Supprised they are cheap as we used to call them demonthiefs!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes air helps but the way they say it is worded poorly.

Saying a 2 layer suit will give X amount of time of protection is a horrible generality. Same with their 3 layer statement.

An SFI 3.2/5 suit which is the most common rating used by US organizations give roughly a 10-19 seconds until you sustain 2nd degree burns. FIA rated suits are slightly higher. The most telling rating that gives you an idea of burn time is TPP rating. Pretty much all the suits you are looking at will fall into this category. Drag racers are teh ones that use the suits that have 4+ layers and burn times that approach 1 minute.

The construction of the suit, the actual type of nomex (there are a number of ways you can turn nomex fiber into a fabric), along with how the suit fits over your body can all have major impacts in the TPP rating of a suit.

My next suit will have a CarbonX layer. CarbonX holds up MUCH better during it's exposure to heat.

As for DemonTweeks. They are a very good group to deal with. I've dealt with them a number of times in teh past. Shipping isn't too bad price/time.

If you are interested in 3 layer suits I have limited quantities of some of the older GP Pro suits (the ones without CarbonX) that I can get a good deal on.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OG Racing has good prices on closeout suits, they're who I got my Sparco Tech 5 through. You can also occasionally find factory deals on Ebay for Sparco suits. I think I saw a new Tech 5 for $500 on there which is a screaming deal.
http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/3-Closeouts/232-Suits
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I would suggest confirming the warranty with Demon Tweeks. I do not believe there is any type of manufacturers warranty if purchased thru them. If you buy something from a reputable US dealer, the warranty applies. Odds are the suit will be fine but if a zipper breaks or the stitching comes apart, it may be difficult to get it fixed/replaced under warranty.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook

Quick Reply: race suits: 2 vs 3 layer; demon-tweeks UK vendor