Sponsored by:

Roll Cage cost question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Xactly!

Once I commit to gutting the 996TT, I'll install a full cage, probably with Piper, and build something that is rwd, and a true P-car track terror...

Until then I'll just finish the Zcar and use the OTHER cage Piper built for me!

Mike

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You can look at it like this.

DAS Sport Cage 2095.00 (if you include 100 bucks shipping)

That doesn't include Nascar bars or the side net installation/fabrication call that another 500-750 bucks.

Now for 800 more than that you have a fully custom cage that is built exactly how YOU want it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My custom built cage was 1800 out the door. It's damn burly with plenty of rear bracing and a dash bar.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

as someone else said. i'd do x brace on passanger side. ...better for tors stiffness than nascar bars (modeled it). ...may want to think about adding bar from top door bar back to shock towers, and didn't see anything going to front shock towers.

only real gauge i have on cost is local guy (did brant's car too), who charges $50 per bar. ...don't recall main hoop price. He does KILLER tight cages (several pro cars).
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Actually that sounds cheap to me.... I paid almost 4k, only did a bowed "X" on the drivers side, and gutted the interior and painted it myself.
Question though: why NASCAR on passenger side? I assume you would only have a passenger in DE... and then it would be a student, where you would not be running 10 - 10ths anyway.... that is alot of extra weight/cost for no/little gain in my book.

Just my 2 cents
The extra tubing that NASCAR-style door bars would add is not going to increase the weight by that much, even less so when you take into account the door card, door panel metal, window glass and window motor/hardware that would be removed to accommodate NASCAR bars.

Originally Posted by JoeMag
as someone else said. i'd do x brace on passanger side. ...better for tors stiffness than nascar bars (modeled it). ...may want to think about adding bar from top door bar back to shock towers, and didn't see anything going to front shock towers.

only real gauge i have on cost is local guy (did brant's car too), who charges $50 per bar. ...don't recall main hoop price. He does KILLER tight cages (several pro cars).
If there's that much added stiffness to X bars versus NASCAR bars, I would think it would make sense to have the car's stiffness be as symmetrical as possible.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

My suggestion is to find a "Nascar" or circle track shop like I did. Then take a bunch of pictures of how you want the cage from other "Caged" Porsches. The Racers Group quoted me almost $5k for the cage I wanted in my 69 911..... I got the same cage/quality/material built at a circle track shop for $1400 in 2002..... The good ole' boys loved working on it without Porsche Tax applied.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

In ref to Mark's comment on symmetry... If you're looking for that, add a bar inside nascar bars driver side that's low fwd and high rear. gets nascar bars close to X rigidity.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few of us here with Mitch Piper cages in our P-cars (near Dulles; but not near you unfortunately) and while our price may be lower then what your current estimate is; the price of steel and transportation has risen dramatically. It looks like a good price to me. It is interesting to see how quickly prices adjust upward; relative to how they correct back.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

- Cages get costly when you have more difficult parameters, like being quite tall, or short. 911s tend to be a bit easier because of the tall door opennings. 944s... are not. Things get costly when space is tight. It takes a lot of time and effort to be efficient with space.

- Material costs have SKYROCKETED in the last 3-4 years. At least 35%!

- Painting a cage NICELY is a real PITA. It takes more time to mask than paint. There is just no way to do it easily (unless you are painting an entire chassis), and those materials are INSANELY expensive these days.

- You have to watch the NASCAR boys. They can certainly cage a car, but in general their designs can tend to be a bit "agricultural", and you can end up with a really heavy cage that is not very space efficient.

- Most of the cages I do end up being right about where your quote is. Sean F's cage was around there. However, extras like side nets, seat mounting, mirrors, etc., etc., can add up fast.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:08 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Some of the nicest work I have seen in tubing came from circle track shops. Effort can go up a lot when getting a cage real tight and going to the Nth degree. It takes less time to single cut and angle fishmouth a tube next to another tube rathet than make a full multi angle cut node. Labor is the largest cost part of a cage if it is done well.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

That is a really good price, based on my experience too. Keep in mind that today's price of steel is much higher than a few years ago.

I had Mitch Piper build my cage, too, and I was very happy with the add'l room a custom cage provides.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cage cost a bit more than your quote....but it makes me feel safe....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Roll Cage cost question