Default Ferrari Threating to Quit F1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71786

Way to go prancing ******.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ferrari can't leave F1....Alonso is going to drive for them.

Please, someone put Sir A. Wayne under 24 hour monitoring, have the defibrilator charged and ready to go......oh, the humanity.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:35 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

The series needs to start over outside of the FIA anyway!
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FGL28
I love how the Ferrari haters spin their web of crap. Two weeks ago, Toyota said they were DEFINITELY out of F1 if there was a spec engine. Last week, Dr. Mario Theissen of BMW Motorsports said they would not be interested in a spec engine series. So when Ferrari says it, they're the ********?

Take a pole and see who wants F1 to be a spec series. Guaranteed no one wants to see this. It's bad enough that McLaren Mercedes got the contract to do everyones ECU. Ironic that they will more than likely win the WDC this year.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
100% agree. Can't the teams hire their own commisioner to oversee the sport if they finalize a pact like they were considering a few years ago. No different from the NFL where the team owners hire the commissioner to oversee the best interests of the game, (their game). Shut out the FIA.
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:58 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
+2
Old 10-27-2008 | 08:59 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I love how the Ferrari haters spin their web of crap. Two weeks ago, Toyota said they were DEFINITELY out of F1 if there was a spec engine. Last week, Dr. Mario Theissen of BMW Motorsports said they would not be interested in a spec engine series. So when Ferrari says it, they're the ********?

Take a pole and see who wants F1 to be a spec series. Guaranteed no one wants to see this. It's bad enough that McLaren Mercedes got the contract to do everyones ECU. Ironic that they will more than likely win the WDC this year.
I DO NOT HATE FERRARI.

Ferrari is too good to throw this chicken **** crap. One upon a time there was the Cosworth, Ferrari, Renault, Honda and Porsche as engine suppliers with Cosworth as the main supplier. I suspect the underlying reason to go to a crate motor is to allow manufactures to develop the cars and not the motors.

I can see Toyota leaving because F1 will not race in Toyota's largest market.

I think Ferrari will back down after they talk to Max.

Wayne must be on sucide watch.
Old 10-27-2008 | 09:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

FGL,

I just don't see the appeal to these car makers to only develope the chassis. Engines are the heart of these companies and are literally their middle name (Honda Motor Corp, Toyota Motor Corp) to let them not build their own engine defeats the purpose of entry in this competition.

I'm surprised they didn't complain more about the standardized ECU. That being said, the FIA is swimming up stream with this one, I think they have no chance this will fly.
Old 10-27-2008 | 09:22 PM
Rolling Chicane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pete
Engines are the heart of these companies and are literally their middle name (Honda Motor Corp, Toyota Motor Corp)
Bavarian MOTOR Works.

What is the FIA smoking?
Old 10-27-2008 | 09:31 PM
MTosi
User

I think people underestimate how serious of a change in momentum this is, Ferrari has ALWAYS sided with the FIA giving them a tremendous amount of leverage over the other teams, and now that Ferrari is willing to stand up against the FIA and Eccelstone it gives the teams as a whole ALOT more power. Personally I think the no North American GP is what has finally lost the thugs who run F1 Ferrari's support, anyone with a fully functioning brain realizes that is perhaps the stupidest decision ever. Let's just ignore the worlds biggest market, because Bernie either has some problem with North America or just wants to line his pockets more..... This may sound funny but I was actually corresponding with Luca Baldisseri (Ferrari's chief mechanic) via Facebook, and he basically said most of the Ferrari managment was furious about no North American GP.
Old 10-27-2008 | 09:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

It's time for he MosleyEccelstone monopoly to be broken. F1 is supposed to the cutting edge of technology. I'm with Pete. This won't fly. Kudos to Ferrari for standing up to Mad Max.
Old 10-27-2008 | 11:39 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Pete,

I agree that the auto makers will not want to continue if their motors are not used. But with a crate motor teams similar to Jordan or Tyrrell cold be lured to come back F1.

I think that the bigger teams will revolt and F1 will act the same. This cost cutting is a farce.
Old 10-28-2008 | 12:31 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

I'm glad one of the staple teams is bucking back to the FIA. Spec motors are a ridiculous idea for F1.
Old 10-28-2008 | 12:36 AM
Rolling Chicane
Intermediate

I guess the question is do we, collectively, want F1 to be made up of the Williams, Red Bulls, and Force India teams that would really benefit from a single engine spec? Or do we want the Ferraris, BMWs, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota and Hondas of the world to battle it out?

Personally I'd rather see the traditional manufacterers, but find the privateers a vital part of the sport especially when they are able to take a Toyota engine for example and beat the factory team. It's also interesting to see how The Red Bull A and B teams compete against each other, but with different customer engines. I like the way F1 is set up right now.
Old 10-28-2008 | 12:45 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Glorified Nascar.

Quick Reply: Ferrari Threating to Quit F1