Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
That all sounds great!

I hated Moroso because going to a track that isn't really so great, eats up your tires in a day and between sessions, you sit in a friggin' sun isn't my kind of idea of a great day at the track.

Can't wait to go to the new Moroso!
Yada, Yada, Yada ,, man you FInns can whine

Originally Posted by dblapex
I think we all need to get used to calling it Palm Beach International Raceway now as they have spent a couple houndred grand to get that name again and will probably kick you off the premisses if you call it Moroso. Besides after seeing what this place is becoming, calling it Moroso may be an insult.

Disclaimer: You will probably never hear me say much negative about Moroso as it is place that introduced me to motorsports. I have very fond memories of this track from BMW Octoberfest in 1991 to my first ride on the track a year later at the Cavalino in a 348 Challenge with one of the factory Ferrari drivers. I loved instructing at Moroso over any other track as it was the best track to see rapid improvements in your students in as little as two session as the lay out was so easy to remember. A part of me will miss the old facility, but the plans for the future of this track are so very promising.
Really , I was at octoberfest in 91, bet Buffum he couldn't read the boost gauge while doing a lap in the GTP !!! not to talk about Hobbs ... LOL......

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Er, I hope you are right....

-The old configuration, had cars enter pit lane occasionally, by mistake, at top speed... Usually once was enough to learn the lesson.

I just hope they use plenty of stripes and lane markers, on the track indicating pit in.

LOL... entering the pitlane at speed , talk about missing the Apex ...........
Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 AM
gt3cup98
Racer

Signed up for December 14th at Moroso, I mean Palm Beach International Raceway, may never get used to this. Kinda like a football team changing towns. Had not heard of Hooked on Driving before and should be interesting. Thanks for the heads up Peter and look forward to seeing you next weekend at Daytona!
Boyd
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Peter - to beat Erik you need a '99 996 with a mediocre driver. Anything more is just overkill
Since when did you get upgraded to "mediocre" ?????. Congrats !!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Since when did you get upgraded to "mediocre" ?????. Congrats !!!!
Since he started to pass you left and right in a much older car ?!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
mcar00
Intermediate

I was at a Hooked on Driving event Sat. at Homestead and Henry announced they are going to try to organize a night event at Moroso on Nov. 22 I believe. Hope he does it. Sounds like fun.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcar00
I was at a Hooked on Driving event Sat. at Homestead and Henry announced they are going to try to organize a night event at Moroso on Nov. 22 I believe. Hope he does it. Sounds like fun.
Please keep us updated on this!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There's an SCCA regional race at PBIR on Nov. 15th and 16th

Last edited by PedroNole; 10-28-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

I would not be surprised if they get moived to later dates, seems very close for an unfunisched track, but I hope they can make it.

Going to Roebling road 14+15 Nov and Las Vegas for kart racing 19-24 Nov, so I will see the new track for the first time Dec14th..
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would not be surprised if they get moived to later dates, seems very close for an unfunisched track, but I hope they can make it.
Track will DEFINITELY be open for the SCCA dates. The track just got sanctioned for the race by SCCA and will actually be open a week prior for a couple of private events.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 PM
mcar00
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Please keep us updated on this!
Looks like it's going to happen. Visit the Hooked on Driving website for information.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
gt3cup98
Racer

See below, Hooked on Driving at PBIR November 22nd under the lights!!!
I signed up
Boyd

On Saturday Night November 22nd at Palm Beach International Raceway (formerly Moroso), we will be holding the first ever HPDE under the lights starting at 5pm and ending at 11pm.

No headlights necessary as the whole racetrack will have plenty of lighting to look like daylight.

Drag racing will be taking place just a few yards away at the all new drag strip located just south of the road course where anyone can take a run for just a few dollars.

Perfect weather at this time of year should keep the cars and drivers running nice and cool.

Be a part of this inaugural happening, where another set of ADVAN tires will be given away at the drivers meeting.

This is a brand new race track, not the old Moroso layout.

Gates will open at 3pm for early registration and set up.

http://www.hookedondriving.com
Phone: 954 258-6613
Fax:
Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just followed up with HOD because I have never heard of them. The events are being put on by Henry Gilbert, many of you may know him because of his corvette school. I have worked with Henry in the past and he has always been a stand up guy so it should be a great event. I would encourage everyone to sign up before it sells out.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 AM
gt3cup98
Racer

I saw Henry on one of the emails and did not relize it was Henry Gilbert. He is a great guy and a lot of fun. He really understands that what we do is for fun and not a job.
Boyd
Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just getting ready for this weekend and found a couple videos from the new PBIR course. The videos are from the SCCA club race last weekend and a Ferrari event two weeks ago.

I don't think either one shows a definitive line, but it at least gives you an idea what it looks like from behind the wheel.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had high hopes but I am rather disappointed after watching those. I have fond memories of 4 wheel drifting out on to the wide back straight. There is no runoff there now. Also, the pit out looks blind. At least the surface looks great and I am sure they upgraded the facilities.

Quick Reply: Moroso/ PBIR