Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moroso/ PBIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:36 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you who never went to the old Moroso due to the reputation of the facilities/track or did go and vowed never to go back or had it third on your list behind Sebring and Homestead, I can't wait until you get on the track and see the facility and see what's in store. I'm thankful that we will now have a facility like this in such close proximity.

The track is a constant 40' wide, is fully lit, is totally separate from the drag strip, has some of the most advanced/up to date safety components, has banking in one section, elevation change and a very challenging overall technical layout. The track is working hard to get FIA Cert 2 certification which is as good as a road course gets and a course only gets this if the safety issues are addressed.

I can't wait until it opens and everyone gets a chance to drive it and see what a great asset we all now have in our back yard.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
For those of you who never went to the old Moroso due to the reputation of the facilities/track or did go and vowed never to go back or had it third on your list behind Sebring and Homestead, I can't wait until you get on the track and see the facility and see what's in store. I'm thankful that we will now have a facility like this in such close proximity.

The track is a constant 40' wide, is fully lit, is totally separate from the drag strip, has some of the most advanced/up to date safety components, has banking in one section, elevation change and a very challenging overall technical layout. The track is working hard to get FIA Cert 2 certification which is as good as a road course gets and a course only gets this if the safety issues are addressed.

I can't wait until it opens and everyone gets a chance to drive it and see what a great asset we all now have in our back yard.
That all sounds great!

I hated Moroso because going to a track that isn't really so great, eats up your tires in a day and between sessions, you sit in a friggin' sun isn't my kind of idea of a great day at the track.

Can't wait to go to the new Moroso!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

Can't wait to go to the new Moroso!

I think we all need to get used to calling it Palm Beach International Raceway now as they have spent a couple houndred grand to get that name again and will probably kick you off the premisses if you call it Moroso. Besides after seeing what this place is becoming, calling it Moroso may be an insult.

Disclaimer: You will probably never hear me say much negative about Moroso as it is place that introduced me to motorsports. I have very fond memories of this track from BMW Octoberfest in 1991 to my first ride on the track a year later at the Cavalino in a 348 Challenge with one of the factory Ferrari drivers. I loved instructing at Moroso over any other track as it was the best track to see rapid improvements in your students in as little as two session as the lay out was so easy to remember. A part of me will miss the old facility, but the plans for the future of this track are so very promising.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dblapex
I think we all need to get used to calling it Palm Beach International Raceway now as they have spent a couple houndred grand to get that name again and will probably kick you off the premisses if you call it Moroso. Besides after seeing what this place is becoming, calling it Moroso may be an insult.
Memo to DOT change road sign.......I am looking forward to new layout in addtion to the other facilities once completed. I really like the idea of night driving with the lighting.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I loved Moroso too, great for instructing, great for teaching throttle steering and great to brush up on car control. I just learned that I should always show up with tired that were going to be thrown away after the weekend. I even had sets that I asked Ernie Bello to hold on to until the next Moroso event. They were not worth going to any other track, but good enough for Moroso. Where else can you drift thru sets of turns at such a low speed ??. It may be slow, but it sure is the most fun of going around a turn
Old 10-23-2008, 04:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

Erik just like Moroso because he can get out of bed at 7:30 AM and still be at the drivers' meeting by 8AM and put the twins in bed by 8PM

Signed up for Dec14th (First event there?).
I'll have to get up at 7 though....

I must admit that I was very sceptic about whatever Moroso's plans were, but now PBIR looks like it it shaping up to be a fine track, great for night racing in the summer when it is too hot during the day!

I read somewhere that the new asphalt is very smooth will be easy onthe tires..
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I read somewhere that the new asphalt is very smooth will be easy onthe tires..
Yeah but the track will be lacking the additional conditioning the staging drag cars would leave on the track. Me think the old rough surface was a countermeasure for the oil puddles.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
DanS911
Pro

"Signed up for Dec14th (First event there?)."

What event is that?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dblapex
Pit in is very tight,

which I am a fan of because the pit stalls will start almost as soon as you are in pit lane so that is the safest way to force people to slow down.
Er, I hope you are right....

-The old configuration, had cars enter pit lane occasionally, by mistake, at top speed... Usually once was enough to learn the lesson.

I just hope they use plenty of stripes and lane markers, on the track indicating pit in.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

MB:
I was working my way around the final turn and to my surprise a **** that wanted to get on the track did not turn HARD left to get onto pit lane instead he went straight then turned left which put him in perfect position for me to t-bone him at +70. To this day I do not know how we missed each other and it is the only time I really wanted to punch someone at the track. BTW that was in the instructor group, likely a visting POS.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ Code Brown!!!

it does look like they fixed that.... just left of #15....

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 04-10-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

"Signed up for Dec14th (First event there?)."

What event is that?
Dan, it is Hooked On Driving.

Never drove with them yet, but Sander and I thought we try them and the new PBIR track.
This gives me some time on the track, so I can beat Erik there in January..

We where going to Sebring with Chin 13+14 December, so instead only the 13th., we drive by anyway on the way home...
Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Peter - to beat Erik you need a '99 996 with a mediocre driver. Anything more is just overkill
Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Peter - to beat Erik you need a '99 996 with a mediocre driver. Anything more is just overkill

Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 PM
DanS911
Pro

Thanks Peter, let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Moroso/ PBIR