Sponsored by:

Porsche Racing Club and BMWCCA Club Racing at Sears Point 10/25-26

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Porsche Racing Club and BMWCCA Club Racing at Sears Point 10/25-26

This weekend is the Porsche Racing Club's (PRC) sixth annual season-ender at Sears Point in Sonoma, CA. This year for the first time ever, BMWCCA Club Racers will join us with their own group. BMW, Porsche and other drivers that aren't racing have the opportunity to participate as part of the included NASA High Performance Driver's Education (HPDE) group. See nasaproracing.com for details.

Spectators will see some great racing and some neat cars.

Additional details are below.

Will you be there? If so, stop by and say hi.

- Mike
Porsche Racing Club

The event will include:

Two Porsche Racing Club racing groups, with a practice/warm-up, qualifying session and sprint race both days. Register via nasaproracing.com.

A BMW Car Club of America Club Racing group.

A NASA driver's education run group. This will be a mixed-marque group. Register via nasaproracing.com.

A NASA Enduro (Sunday only). Details at nasaproracing.com.

The PRC is sponsored by local race shops and major manufacturers of automotive products including Ball Renegade TPD, Jerry Woods Enterprises, SCARGO Racing, and Smart Racing Products. Additional sponsors include Fred’s Place in Mountain View, CA, Commercial Coverage Insurance, and several individuals.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll be there in my SC and helping Tom in the enduro. A few of Black Sheep boys will also be there.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm there
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Please make sure and say hi... would like to meet you all and your cars. I'll be hanging out by the #24, #1 and #20 cars in the low rent district in the paddock.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,243 Likes on 610 Posts

any special place I can leave my trailer the night before?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should have received an email from NASA with an attached paddock map.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Masuo will be there on Thursday afternoon, and I can check with him on trailer parking. The NASA map provided by NASA should show whee to park. Any questions, PM me and I can put you in direct contact with Masuo.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Masuo posted the current schedule and a paddock map here: http://www.porscheracingclub.com/php...php?f=2&t=1336 The nice thing about Sears Point is that they keep the paddock open until about 10 pm so dropping off the night before is not a problem.

I'm looking forward to a great season ender. We should have 5-6 GTL cars for this weekend's races and I'll be doing my first enduro. Rich Walton and I will be driving in the 4-hour enduro that NASA is having on Sunday afternoon. We're planning a 3-stop race with 1-hour driver shifts based on fuel use data. As the refueling will be critical to our times, we're trying to herd and coral a few Black Sheep and other riff-raff into service as pit crew. If interested in joining the crew, send me a PM or email. I think I'll organize dinner for the drivers and crew on Friday night (Saturday is the BBQ, so dinner is already provided).

As Mike says, if you're a BAP or at the track, stop by and say hello. My trailer ("Hey wait for me! Racing") will be next to Rich's "Jerry Woods/Smart Racing" trailer. I'll be getting there Friday early evening.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do specatators get in? Not sure how they handle these... I suppose you just show up?
Was thinking of coming by and watching a bit.
I checked the NASA site and I see racer registration...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spectators simply show up and spectate. I believe you need to sign the waiver at the gate and pay the $10 parking/access fee but that's it. You then have free access to the paddock and the viewing areas.

If you've been to DEs but never to a club race, it's an interesting difference. At DEs it's mainly street cars and a few guys with trailers and track only cars (and many open trailers compared to enclosed). In a race weekend, it's mainly enclosed trailers for race only cars and many "semi" based car transports with trackside support facilities. An interesting difference to come watch and socialize.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Tom!
I am familair with DE and races (pro)... but never been to a club race. Kind of in between and sounds like fun. I am looking forward to it. Might bring my 5yo son, he will love it.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,243 Likes on 610 Posts

Tom, what kind of stuff do you need from a crew guy?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking- 3 guys to do fueling: 2 to handle the fueling and 1 to stand by with a fire extinguisher. The fuel guys must be wearing a fire suit, gloves and helmet (same protection as the driver). It desired but not required the fire guy wear the same protective clothing. I'll want 1-2 guys to check tire pressures very quickly as soon as fueling is completed and bleed down if required before sending the car back out and probably one guy to take care of anything else that comes up. All will be directed by a crew chief. The drivers will help each other change (fuel stop = driver change). Extra folk to help in any other way will likely be used too. I have 2 crew radios, one for the other driver (the not driving one) and one probably for a spotter up in the stands to help call out on-track issues.

I think I have 4-5 volunteers so far (I've been in Hawaii on vacation for 1.5 weeks and am just getting back up to speed with pre-race prep work).
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I believe that the entry fee of $10 that NASA normally charges will be waived. Spectators are most welcome. The racing should be excellent in all groups, and there should be some neat cars. Weather looks great as well.

Hopefully we'll have an event that is free of major incidents. Last year's event should have us running in the luck for a couple of years in this regard.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom,

I'll be there Friday to drop off my trailer. I plan to stay at the Novato Inn. Where's the Friday dinner?

Quick Reply: Porsche Racing Club and BMWCCA Club Racing at Sears Point 10/25-26