Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will Lewis Hamilton throw away the world championship on a bone head move?
He's got the WDC locked up - no way he'll throw it away (Ron Dennis will have his nuts)
12.78%
50/50 - it could go either way
39.85%
Strong possibility he'll throw it away
27.82%
Absolutely - he'll end up in the gravel, press the wrong button, t-bone someone, etc.
19.55%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Will Lewis Hamilton throw away the world champsionship on a bone head move?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
If the Ferrari is so good, why does it SUCK in the rain, so badly that even a great wet-weather driver like Kimi can't even keep the POS on the track?

I agree w/ wanna911, at least about this - it seems just a bit too optimized for dry weather, and does tend to excel there... but the McLaren seems to be a much more well-rounded car.

I know which one of the two I'd prefer to drive...
Yeah KR is such a good drover the car is bad , stick them in a renault or a TR
Old 10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Disagree dat McClaren is the best car ..All the facts point to the Ferrari. At the times when McClaren has gotten pole it was mostly from a much lighter fuel load.
You must have a black and white TV and therefore mixing the two cars up -- the Mclarens are the ones with the Vodafone logo's by the way

Seriously, have you watched the two cars and how differently they handle? A good car will look as though its getting pulled by a string, and bad car looks as though its being pushed from behind around the track.

The McLaren gets more traction sooner [off the curbs] than any other car out there. The Sauber is ok, perhaps the closest car to the silver ones.

Kimi and Phil are having to drive these cars pretty hard to get lap time.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You must have a black and white TV and therefore mixing the two cars up -- the Mclarens are the ones with the Vodafone logo's by the way

Seriously, have you watched the two cars and how differently they handle? A good car will look as though its getting pulled by a string, and bad car looks as though its being pushed from behind around the track.

The McLaren gets more traction sooner [off the curbs] than any other car out there. The Sauber is ok, perhaps the closest car to the silver ones.

I see it all chris and do disagree...

Now my view....

1. Yes the McLaren has superior traction , from it's TC based ecu system , not chassis. I pointed this out pre-season on who was messing with this .. The best at it is Toyota .

2. Ferrari's dis-advantage is not tire temp , but the lack of sophistication in there TC system . what you see on cold tires is the Mclaren system helping it's drivers for that smooth look you so crave ... If you update your TV to a freeze frame or slow mo model you will see Mr Hamilton hard at work switching the controls for better traction... remember earlier in the season before LH was fully settled with it he was all over the track ,,,he slides the car around a lot ... notice not much lately .

3. Kimi and FM are no 2 drivers....they couldn't drive nail into sand ,,,, lucky for them LH is suffering from Tyson Fever and will ****** defeat from the jaws of victory ....

PS... the system failed hammy at the start last weekend .......................

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-16-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I think you're maybe referring to the diff or brake controls, not the (engine) traction control?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Didn't Max (Spank me you **** *****) Mosley ban TC by going to the standard McLaren ECU?
Sir A. Wayne, please explain
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
I think you're maybe referring to the diff or brake controls, not the (engine) traction control?
Originally Posted by ltc
Didn't Max (Spank me you **** *****) Mosley ban TC by going to the standard McLaren ECU?
Sir A. Wayne, please explain
Ha, Ha, children , yes TC was banned dat's right all Mclaren made ecu with Mclaren looking so smooth and collective .... I must be wrong, my apologies ...

If they ( FIA ) had listen to me last year , for sure there would be no such device , instead they leave electronic throttles and push button tranny ,,, Haaaa, haaa, yes no traction control at all .... what was i thinking , aaaahhh yes LH did say power control ... dat's right sorry gents power control ........

Mclaren has the best power control system , hence the smooth collective performances
Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
PS... the system failed hammy at the start last weekend .......................
From watching the on board video of the start in Hammies car it looks as though he upshifted really early. Check it out, I may be wrong.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

From watching the on board video of the start in Hammies car it looks as though he upshifted really early. Check it out, I may be wrong.
Yes he did up shift too early , his launch was too low , too much power reduction and his upshift could have been to default the system or just his error as 2nd gear will have a different power curve.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...17130509.shtml

Briatore expects Hamilton to trip up
''Hamilton has learnt nothing. We saw that in Japan''
17/10/08 13:05

Flavio Briatore has tipped McLaren's Lewis Hamilton to 'throw the title away again.'

The Renault boss recalls his astonishment of one year ago, when with a 17-point advantage with two races to go, the then rookie Hamilton ceded the championship to Kimi Raikkonen at the final hurdle.

He mischievously said the feat was worthy of the 'Guinness Book of Records.'

"Now that he has a five point-lead, he could repeat the Guinness trick. For me, Massa will win the title," Briatore said.

The Italian's partisan view is no surprise, particularly with his 2007 spy battle with the McLaren team still in memory.

"McLaren accused us of spying, we went on for four months with this nonsense that never existed," he told Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.

He also believes Hamilton is overrated and must finish the job if he is to be compared with the greats.

"You should tell him that he is a Formula One driver, not a martian," said Briatore. "He is not Muhammad Ali. He is a good driver but you see good drivers also taking results home. There are good (football) forwards who always hit the post or the bar and the ball never goes in."

"Then there are those that score and he hasn't scored yet. Hamilton has learnt nothing. We saw that in Japan," said Briatore.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, you guys can't see the forest for the trees. It is patently obvious that it is an insidious plot between Luca Montezemolo and Ron Dennis to have total control of F1 racing. First Montezemolo benches Jean Todt and retires Michael Schumacher to show his muscle. He probably was behind the spy scandel, feeding info to Stepney who passed it onto McLaren. He probably paid the fine for Ron Dennis, with the caveat that Dennis has to sabatoge his own drivers chances to win the WDC so that he could justify his ouster of Schumacher and replacement by Raikonnen.

Now he's going to do the same so that Massa can win. Why do you think that EVERY decision goes Ferrari's way? Once Massa becomes WDC, he will allow Dennis to have the 2009 WDC as repayment. After all, haven't Ferrari and McLaren won 8 of the last 10 WDCs? The only fly in the ointment here is Renault who won't play ball (when did the French ever?). That is why Alonso has to stay at Renault, because if he goes to Ferrari, the car will mysteriously turn to ****, and Hamilton will be the 2009 WDC.

I'm really surprised that Wayne didn't figure this out already.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ah, you guys can't see the forest for the trees. It is patently obvious that it is an insidious plot between Luca Montezemolo and Ron Dennis to have total control of F1 racing. First Montezemolo benches Jean Todt and retires Michael Schumacher to show his muscle. He probably was behind the spy scandel, feeding info to Stepney who passed it onto McLaren. He probably paid the fine for Ron Dennis, with the caveat that Dennis has to sabatoge his own drivers chances to win the WDC so that he could justify his ouster of Schumacher and replacement by Raikonnen.

Now he's going to do the same so that Massa can win. Why do you think that EVERY decision goes Ferrari's way? Once Massa becomes WDC, he will allow Dennis to have the 2009 WDC as repayment. After all, haven't Ferrari and McLaren won 8 of the last 10 WDCs? The only fly in the ointment here is Renault who won't play ball (when did the French ever?). That is why Alonso has to stay at Renault, because if he goes to Ferrari, the car will mysteriously turn to ****, and Hamilton will be the 2009 WDC.

I'm really surprised that Wayne didn't figure this out already.
LOL...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
DWalker
Racer

I was trying to stay out of this, but-

I think Ham-it-up will throw it away, simply because that is the most likely outcome. He has proven (multiple times) that he has several failure modes to choose from. He can lose his temper, make a "youthful" mistake that even a rookie would pale at, forget what hes doing, or simply run out of talent.

What bugs me about Hamilton is that when he came into the limelight last year and was that "breath of fresh air F1 needed" he was humble, happy to be there, and gave other drivers their due. Now he has gotten wrapped up in his own legend and the true personality is showing. Obviously, just being an F1 driver requires a fair amount of testicular fortitude and ego, but Hamilton is taking things too far and turning F1 into a spectacle. This isnt NASCAR folks and we can do without the drama an other BS. It really seems it wont be long now before we see him on the cover of the tabloids next to Britney and Paris. Maybe I am the only one, but I enjoy racing for the racing, not wondering if X driver is going to punt Y driver because of some personality clash or other BS. I would think this is what is bugging a lot of the other F1 drivers as well, because this is thier JOB, and they want to be professional about it, not acting like a spoiled brat pissing about and whining about how great he is and how everyone else sucks.
Yes, of course other drivers have had thier moments- they are human after all- but Hamstrung's behavior this year iborders on ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Remember the antics of Prost & Senna?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
DWalker
Racer

I do, and there have always been and will always be rivalrys between drivers as well as basic personality conflicts, emotional overloads, etc.
That said, dont you agree that simply by looking back over the season you cant help but shake your head and wonder at LH's actions? I swear that when I look at it all together I cant help but think of Paris/Britney etc. and their changing from the "happy-to-be-here talented kid" into egomaniacle attention ****** doing whatever they think they can get away with just for shock value and publicity to stay in the public eye. A true conspiracy theorist would take a deeper look into this and say that Bernie & Co. are driving this, using it to get newer, more youthful viewers watching, waiting to see what happens next, and are doing so based on the assumption thats what it takes to get those viewers to tune in or click on. With those viewers would come new and different sponsorship, meaning more $$ for thier coffers...

Quick Reply: Will Lewis Hamilton throw away the world champsionship on a bone head move?